Garage door openers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by chevydeerhunter, Apr 30, 2008.

1. chevydeerhunter

chevydeerhunter Well-Known

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Does anybody know anything about garage door openers? I have an ancient Craftsman that's 20+ years old. I couldn't open the door with the remote unless I was right under the thing (which defeats the purpose of having one). So I ordered a replacement remote from a company and it does a little better, but I still have to be in the garage to open it. Short of buying a new one, is there any way to fix this problem? I'd really hate to put my Kimber money into buying a new door opener, but I will if I have to. They're a PITA to install! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    They should operate on an RF signal, meaning any shielding / insulation would block it. You don't have any foil, or other insulation that might be obstructing the signal?

3. RIATAC45

RIATAC45 Member

Chevy - Sounds like a low battery. Did the new remote come with the battery installed? If so the first thing I would try is replacing them, also while you have the case off check to see that the dip switches in the unit match the remote exactly. They will sometimes work with 1 switch off, although not very well. You also might check operation with the lower case of the opener off, to see if its a weak receiver.

I just read my own post and I don't mean to sound like I'm insulting your inteligence. I just try to start with the simple, cheap stuff.

4. chevydeerhunter

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio

Believe me, brother, you're not insulting my intelligence since there's not much to insult!:p Many a time, I've racked my brain trying to figure something out and it ends up being the most obvious or simplest thing! I'll take anything under advisement.;)

I checked the dip switches and have them exactly as my old remote. I'm going to grab the multimeter to check the battery then pull the panel to see if there's anything wrong there. I'm probably going to have to ante up for a new system and it'll probably be a good idea in the long run. Thanks for all the help so far. Any other suggestions?

5. carneyman

carneyman Active Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Tyler
    If I remember correctly my grandma had a really old crafts man, and it had an antenna that got pulled off. Did the same thing. Put a new wire on and it worked again.

6. chevydeerhunter

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Checked the small 12v battery and it checks in at 12.82 volts so it's good. The garage door is a metal, uninsulated door with two windows. I pulled the panel and the antenna is securely soldered to the board. I think it's on it's last leg.

7. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Check the receiving antennae, if it's corroded you might try a quick wet sand.

8. ironman45693

ironman45693 Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Austin
    They need to be the same as the switches on the garage door opener itself. Switches on remote=Switches on opener.

9. chevydeerhunter

Feb 23, 2008
    San Antonio
    Yeah! Sorry. I forgot to mention that the positions match on the receiver as well.

10. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Chevy,
    A real long shot but does your garage door opener have power or sensitivity adjustments for opening and closing? If so, you might try increasing power on both. They are not supposed to affect remote signal reception but who knows what lurks in the inner workings of that ol' door opener?