• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    and the ag-venture continues...

Last weekend, 2-24 and 25, I planted Kentucky Wonder pole beans, yellow squash, bush cucumbers (canning), salad cucumbers, cantaloupe, and some Sugar Baby watermelon. I will try to trellis the cantaloupes and watermelons and net them, This is a first attempt. Nearly everything germinated, except the watermelon, may not yet be warm enough.

This weekend 3-2 and 3, I rebuilt 3 of the old raised beds that had rotted. In one bed I planted Yukon Gold potatoes, the other two are being held in reserve for tomatoes and peppers. The new beds are now 4' X 9' X 15", 1' wider and longer than the originals, but 3' less in-depth.

I also planted some zucchini.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Last weekend we planted 10 tomatoe plants, a dozen lettuce plants (I forget the variety), some zucchini, and just today planted 6 containers with potatoes.
    I had to fix the raised beds a little, they're starting to rot, but I'll have to replace them before next spring.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    and the ag-venture continues...

Last weekend, 2-24 and 25, I planted Kentucky Wonder pole beans, yellow squash, bush cucumbers (canning), salad cucumbers, cantaloupe, and some Sugar Baby watermelon. I will try to trellis the cantaloupes and watermelons and net them, This is a first attempt. Nearly everything germinated, except the watermelon, may not yet be warm enough.

This weekend 3-2 and 3, I rebuilt 3 of the old raised beds that had rotted. In one bed I planted Yukon Gold potatoes, the other two are being held in reserve for tomatoes and peppers. The new beds are now 4' X 9' X 15", 1' wider and longer than the originals, but 3' less in-depth.

I also planted some zucchini.
    3 inches not feet, dumbass self.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Feel like we’re getting a late start (as usual).

Sprays the whole garden area with pre-emergent this year to try and head off the weeds so everything will be started in trays and transplanted. Hope to have the trays going in the next couple days.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    I threw some seeds in anger at my raised beds. Got some stuff sprouting but not the stuff I really want (yet). Feels like beans, peas, and cucurbits sprout overnight, while pepper seeds, chives, and other herbs do nothing for weeks.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    I planted flowers today in one of my raised beds to attract butterflies and hummingbirds. I superimposed the names and locations of the flowers on the front of the planter box.

IMG_2824.jpeg

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I built this yesterday evening out of fence picket pieces I scavenged from trash piles on job sites.

It is not perfect, the trays are of different styles, I was just lazy and didn't pre-measure the short sides, It was an exercise in making different styles as much as making something useful. I plan to use this for some flowers to attract bees. I think I have enough scrap to build another.

Junk wood planter build.jpg

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I built this yesterday evening out of fence picket pieces I scavenged from trash piles on job sites.

It is not perfect, the trays are of different styles, I was just lazy and didn't pre-measure the short sides, It was an exercise in making different styles as much as making something useful. I plan to use this for some flowers to attract bees. I think I have enough scrap to build another.

View attachment 438849
    Nothing wrong with that!

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    3/9/24

Built a low raised bed 10' X 2' X 8", this bed will be dedicated to trellised plants. I also planted more potatoes (finally ran out of seed potatoes), and carrots, and in a bed that I will need to replace next season, some sunflowers and echium (Blue Bedder).

I don't normally harvest the sunflowers, but I might this year. In past years, whenever they were ready for harvest we would get rain and the seeds would get moldy.

Only two watermelon seeds germinated, I planted the last seeds in the packet and will thin them as needed.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Got my garden turned over & composted yesterday. I'll get some stuff in the ground within a couple of days and hope it doesn't freeze again.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    The old-timers said when you see the Mocking Birds, the frosts are over. I don't know if this is true, but I'm seeing a lot of Mocking Birds.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Well, I transplanted some volunteer flowers into a bed far enough away from the house that I have to connect an extra 110’ water hose.

It was the woman’s idea and what she wanted…

What can I say. She keeps me warm on cold nights and doesn’t talk or eat too much…

Dig a ditch and tee off a water source and lay some pvc pipe add a valve or spicket and that garden could have it's own hose. I know its work but in the end there's no dragging a hose around.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    This is my current updated garden. The darker wood is what I replaced sometime last year. As you can see there have been some major changes this has been done over the last couple of weekends. I need to lay out more of the weed fabric as well, but the rain has been interfering with that task, so far 2 inches and 2 tenths, much needed.

The old beds along the fence line are okay and may last another season or two. I have some tomato trellis' on order and they should be arriving tomorrow, then I can plant my cherry tomatoes.

If you look closely at the trellis, you can see the cucumbers (straight 8's) peeking above the bucket rims.

So as an aside https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CZ18YK6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details do NOT WASTE any money ordering this item, the gophers have eaten a pepper plant, kale, and chard since I installed these, did not repel shit, even with the stake in the same bed as the plants.

bed update1.jpg

bed update 2.jpg

Bed upate3.jpg

Bed upate4.jpg

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Today's garden/shop project is my take on a strawberry pyramid. I'm going to try strawberries once again, but a different variety. I will probably need to build another, I have 50 strawberry plants ordered and some thornless blackberry plants,

Strawberry pyramid.jpg

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    My first attempt at a garden this year.
    Got Yukon Gold and Kennebecs in the ground the last week of February and they'relookinggreat.
    Honey Select sweet corn and jalapenos went in about 2 weeks ago with 1 single corn sprouting so far And nothing from the Jalapenos yet.
    Orange Crisp seedless watermelon are germinating in my wife's sewing room under a space heater. 4 sprouts so far but curiously enough, none from the Ace pollinator seeds yet.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I have been invaded by gophers from the neighbor's yard, repellent helps, but I have found out they will leave the weeds alone in preference of veggies.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    My wife retired from yer 30 job recently and is now working with me so will be on the road with me.
    So no garden this year since nobody will be home to tend to it.

I did however plant half a dozen pepper plants in 30 gallon containers.
    Anehiems and Habaneros. They do pretty well on their own as long as they get some water.

I plant one of each in the same container so they cross pollinate. This does not effect the habaneros, but the Anehiems get the benefit from it.

I call them "Pissed Off Annies"

Top Bottom