• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeTheGreat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    La Porte
    I like Guinness. And most of those tools I have. Except a torque wrench. I was thinking to just take it to a smith. I'm don't know yet. Still haven't found a hand guard that she likes. Want to be able to mount a BUIS sight on it without the added weight of a quad rail. She liked how light it is now and wants to try and keep it close.
    Hurley's Gold

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Fairly light
    YHM-9636.jpg

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I have one just like the above but it's the lightweight (10.2 oz.) and I love it. Remember you got to buy some rail covers if you get one like that! You could get one of those Moe rails and just add 2" sections of rail on the top or sides (for a light, etc.). My groups shrunk considerably after that free float was installed.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I like Guinness. And most of those tools I have. Except a torque wrench. I was thinking to just take it to a smith. I'm don't know yet. Still haven't found a hand guard that she likes. Want to be able to mount a BUIS sight on it without the added weight of a quad rail. She liked how light it is now and wants to try and keep it close.

Just watch youtube vids of it like Brownells or others. I did it all myself and it turned out ok. Just MAKE SURE you align the gas tube and gas key perfectly once you put everything back on. Otherwise, you'll end up having to replace the gas key because the tube will bump into it every time your bolt carrier cycles. I made that mistake and had to buy another key. Mind you, it was only $12 but it was still a pain in the ass :mad:

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    TY-STRX-AL1-90BT-01-REAPERBLK-2T.jpg

This is the free float I got. It's a 9" Troy.

61dg7AApncL._SL1500_.jpg

This is the low-profile gas block that I bought to go with it. The hand guard slides right over it and locks into the barrel nut.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I like that rail. Y'all have been a huge help. I knew asking on a forum would be a good idea lol.

I love it. I have removable rail sections that I can mount anything at any angle and it's light as all get out. Not to mention the Reaper Black zombie camo gives it a menacing touch :evil:

This is the final picture. Of course, there are hundreds of combinations that you can run with but this setup is great for weight and looks awesome.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    That may be true but the delta ring still need to be removed for the majority of free floats so it can slip over the barrel nut.
    But you have to remove the barrel nut anyway to put the new nut on, so why cut the delta ring? Just remove the entire assembly and disassemble properly instead of hacking and losing any reusability.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    But you have to remove the barrel nut anyway to put the new nut on, so why cut the delta ring? Just remove the entire assembly and disassemble properly instead of hacking and losing any reusability.

That's what I'm trying to explain. My Troy Alpha free float used the old barrel nut so all I had to do was remove the D-ring with a dremmel and not touch the barrel nut. It took all of maybe five minutes.

Sent while being unproductive

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    OP, play with this site for a while: GUNSTRUCTION

As for looks, I get it. Everyone has a style. But what is the rifle for? If she doesn't need rail space for bipods, lights, and whatever else can be clamped on a rail, the rails only serve to add weight, increase grip diameter and generally be uncomfortable in hand and require ral covers, which add more weight and well...you get it.

Women like stuff they way they want, that was joked about already. But women also don't want to shoot heavy rifles. Or at least it is the first thing they comment on when they pick it up and shoulder.

Personally I'd look to keep the rifle lightweight if it is a general range plinker. And a range plinker doesn't need quad rails with miles of clamping space. If it were me, I'd look for a smaller diameter handguard, lightweight that utilizes the standard barrel nut rather than a proprietary system to attach. 1. It makes less work, 2. It is cheaper (do you already have all the tools and jigs needed t do the job?) and 3. doesn't add more weight. Troy/Vtac Alpha rails are lightweight as are Midwest industries. Have a look at Sampson to cover your bases on LW. The Troy is the only one that uses the standard barrel nut. The others use proprietary hardware. If you must have a quad rail IIRC Daniel Defense makes a light version. There are others but I'm less familiar with those options.

Anyway, put up some pics if you get a chance.

Top Bottom