• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    It'll be appealed and whatnot. I'm just getting tired of the federal government growing at such a rate, sticking their nose into state business, and the country accepting it (big government).

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    It's already going to the 5th circuit. I totally agree with you though - get the US government out of state business.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    “A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.”

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    "You don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows"

Radicals promote the destruction of faith and family to be replaced with the state. Pretty simple.

Traditional (actual) marriage got us through the last few thousand years, but now the new social architects have dreamed up a new order to be imposed. Think they just might benefit and gain control from what they are implementing?

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy."

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I am very concerned for the future of this country. Not so much that we are stampeding towards gay marriage specifically, although that's part of it, but because of the way the left has essentially usurped the judiciary to do what they would have never been able to do legislatively or by popular vote. Go down the list of pretty much any social issue, from abortion to school choice to Obamacare to gun control; the people's opinions simply don't matter any more. It all comes down to a literal handful of mostly unelected judges dictating from on high what the Constitution says on that particular day.

The marriage amendment that was struck down today was passed by Texans something like 75%-25%. It was pretty much the same in Oklahoma, which was struck down a few weeks ago. I imagine it was moreso in Utah. Even California - CALIFORNIA! of all places - couldn't legalize gay marriage by popular vote. The judges there simply ignored the results of the referendum, and their elected officials just refused to defend it. So that's that.

The Constitutional mechanisms by which we are supposed to deal with these things - primarily letting state's decide, or amendment - might as well not exist. The left has won, and I don't see how we get it back. It would take decades, maybe generations, even with 100 Ted Cruz's in the Senate, to turn this around.

I don't know. I welcome any words of encouragement, but frankly I'm at a loss. We cannot continue down this path.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    ^yessir!!
    Edit: there is no mention of America in the end correct?
    I don't believe we will have been wiped out or destroyed. But maybe assimilated to another country??

And I agree. I am worried in the sense that it bugs the crap out of me that Obama has OPENLY ADMITTED to forcing his/their agenda and the country sits there like "meh, no big..."

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I don't care who someone else sleeps with or wants to commit to. I only have a problem with someone forcing another to accept that choice.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    More concerned why we continue to allow the government to be involved in marriage to begin with, period.

Because marriage is a civil union of two people. The song and dance at church is just that. What happens at the court house is what matters. Want proof? Get the church to give you a divorce. They can't do it. You have to go back to the courthouse.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Because marriage is a civil union of two people. The song and dance at church is just that. What happens at the court house is what matters. Want proof? Get the church to give you a divorce. They can't do it. You have to go back to the courthouse.

That's only because government has inserted itself into the institution of marriage. The institution of marriage existed centuries, even millennia, prior to our government being founded. Saying that government has a right to redefine said institution puts forth a view that government can claim 'ownership' of anything it so desires, and can then change, modify, or rearrange it at its whim. That type of government is dangerous. And one our founders fought a war to rid us of.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That's only because government has inserted itself into the institution of marriage. The institution of marriage existed centuries, even millennia, prior to our government being founded. Saying that government has a right to redefine said institution puts forth a view that government can claim 'ownership' of anything it so desires, and can then change, modify, or rearrange it at its whim. That type of government is dangerous. And one our founders fought a war to rid us of.

Well said.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin

Well, the government is where the goodies are, and where societal acceptance comes from. And really, the only goodies are an ostensibly lower married tax rate (excluding the marriage penalty for sake of discussion), and things like spousal survivor benefits for social security which should probably be reformed anyway for unrelated reasons. Most of the rest of it are convenience type things relating to financial transactions and inheritance, which can pretty easily be done with a simple will or power of attorney, or spousal benefits for government employees, which is somewhat of a different discussion. The left pushed this primarily to force all of society to approve of homosexuality, and to further undermine what remains of "traditional family values", which is an evil in their eyes.

I hope we now see an uprising of single people demanding to be taxed at the lower married rate. Why should the government penalize the unmarried? What about their "equal protection"?

The point is that the government's only real interest in sanctioning marriage is because it helps provide a more stable financial environment for raising children, specifically by minimizing the chance that the burden of raising children doesn't fall on the state. Since gay marriages are always and forever biologically incapable of producing children, there is no reason for the government to care enough to legally favor such union. And if we do, it eliminates the reason it sanctioned marriage to begin with.

I hope we now see a movement towards truly getting the government out of marriage altogether. If we're going to sanction gay marriage, and soon we'll have to sanction polygamy and adult incestuous marriage, then there is no reason for the government to be involved anymore. The word means nothing except what two, or three, or 25 people say it means. I don't always agree with the libertarians, but this is one area that they have exactly right, and now is the time to do it. Call your lifestyle whatever you want to call it, I don't and never really have cared. But when you force me to accept it through my government and benefits that we all provide, you force me to care. And I don't want this.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom