Venture Surplus ad

Get your perimeter vehicle deterrent poles here!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Kinda spendy for old telephone poles. Cheaper to buy old railroad ties, and they are much easier to transport.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Many areas will give you old telephone poles or railroad ties for free. You just have to load them yourself.

Contact the city or county in your area and see what they say.

Booyah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    San Antonio
    While I don't have any experience using them in a residential capacity, my experience with the phone company can offer a little insight into what utilities do with them. Typical distribution poles that you see around neighborhoods are planted between 5-10' deep which allows typical heights of 35-50' above ground. None of us would need to go to that extent but a little extrapolation and common sense...I would bet that 2.5'-3' deep would get you 10' high pretty securely. Just spit balling though.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    LAJES Air Base actually had 3' tall versions of these blocking roads and parking lots they didn't want people going down:

Czech hedgehog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always assumed they were WWII surplus now being used for far more mundane tasks. Kinda funny to think something that may have been intended to be dropped on airports or beaches from bombers in order to tear up airplanes and trucks and amphibious vehicles is now being used to block entrances to parking lots. That's some government thrift I can appreciate!

I guess I need to learn how to weld! Seriously, though- the more practical thing would be to dig a ditch a vehicle can't traverse. WIde and deep enough for a tire to fall down and get stuck in is all you need. Pile the dug up dirt on the far inside part of the yard right along the ditch so people can't just gain enough speed to fly over the ditch. Use the heavy duty stuff for the entry/exit points.

Don't forget your booby-traps and remote detonated mines. We are talking about doomsday, after all. :p

Last edited:
    Top Bottom