Gettin SASSy

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2009
Flower Mound
A couple weeks ago I got an email from Brownells letting me know that a 308 AR lower that I had on backorder for a few months was shipping. I'd honestly forgotten about it and didn't have any clue what I wanted to do with it. So I figured it was time to throw some money at this thing and put a rifle together. I put some thought into what I wanted and decided to get busy on a semiauto precision/long range rifle.

B501E1A7-D1B7-41F5-BCB9-0A05006848EE-5970-00000327C1F28084_zps354a7e94.gif

Here's the parts list:

Tactical Machining Lower Receiver
DPMS Upper Receiver
CMMG MK3 Bolt/Carrier Group
BCM MOD 3 Charging Handle
Magpul MOE Fixed Stock
Magpul MIAD Grip
Troy TRX Battlerail
CMC Trigger
ADM 20 MOA Recon 30mm Mount
Burris C4 30mm 4.5-14x42mm
Lothar-Walther 1:10 Polygonal Rifled 18" Barrel w/Rifle Length Gas
and some generic parts from Troy, CMMG, DPMS, etc.

I'm planning on shooting it Sunday if I can get out to the farm. I had planned on the Burris C4 to be a filler until I decided what to put on top of this beast. A buddy gave it to me when they came on the market not too long ago and I hadn't really looked at it, or even opened the box, but I'm actually pretty impressed with the features for a cheap optic. I'll see how it looks a long way out from the target and decide how long it's going to stay.

Big Phil

Well-Known
Feb 20, 2013
SATX
Great looking build. I just got one myself, unfortunately I have a placeholder optic as well.

If you haven't seen them look at Vortex optics. I have my heart set on the 6-24 first focal plane mil/mil. It's a heck of an optic for just under a thousand dollars.

What brake are you using?

gdouthit

Jan 16, 2013
BCS
What did it end up costing you before the scope/mount and bipod?

Dad is interested in building a 308

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2009
Flower Mound
What did it end up costing you before the scope/mount and bipod?

Dad is interested in building a 308
About $1450 before optics, mount and accessories. That's parts at wholesale though, so probably add 10-15% for that. Also I got the barrel short chambered and 22", so I did the finish reaming on the barrel and cut and thread to 18". That adds about another $200 to the price. You can cheaply and easily buy a finished barrel if you don't mind hunting one down and aren't as anal about squeezing out accuracy as I am. Factory finished barrels put out sub MOA groups all the time.

SOliver

Jun 10, 2012
Spring
Very nice build man. I need to build myself an AR on the .308 receivers sometime. I'd love to have one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Need some of my other toys to sell before I can do that though.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members