APOD Firearms

Getting Around the New Parking Lot Law???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Remember, it is not employees who can or cannot be in compliance with this law, it is the employer who either is or is not in compliance.

AA is within the law on this one.

Agreed, thus whether or not they are within the law will be determined when they fire/discipline someone and what reason is given, and then whether or not they are sued, and then whether or not a jury agrees or not. In other words, a useless law with no teeth IMO.

ETA:

By employee compliance meant employee who complies with the requirements about lawfull posssess and such language in the law.
    DK Firearms

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Park-n-fly, parking spot, etc.....
    Just a suggestion to keep your vehicle off of AA property.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I read through their rules a couple of times and while it is restrictive, it really isn't all that terrible. At least they spelled out what they would accept and what they wouldn't. Certainly we would all prefer that they didn't have any of those restrictions, but in the real world we also know the company lawyers could never let that happen.

Jaxx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Euless
    Hey,

Thanks everyone for helping me with this. I did get several ideas that allowed me to see this diffrently and make better choices on what I should advise my spouce (the AA employee) to do.

I will admit however, to being pretty surprised. While I understand and apreciate the people that say legally AA can do exactly what they threaten to do here it really surprises me that the majority opinion seems to be "its not so bad".

I don't think of myself as anti establishment or actavist. I totally understand and agree with most drug testing and safety related rules at work. This however pretty much outrages me. I have been subject to drug testing. First, drugs are currently illegal. So if you want to test me to make sure I am not involved in an illegal activity I understand. Also most testing is related to safety. If I have a job where I am driving a fire truck and I have a wreck then I see no problem with a drug test. I see AA not concerned about safety, but trying to circumvent your state given legal right, and impose their own anti gun veiws on emplyees in a time when it is very hard for you to make a statement by simply not working for them. Not like you can just go out and get another job at 50 to make your statement back. The idea that by exercising your legal right you give up any expectation of privacy in your personal car seems very wrong to me. So now even if I dont carry a gun I must consider that nothing I carry in my car could be expected to be kept private. In order to comply with AA's rules I would have to stop on the street and unload and store my legal hundgun. It seems to me that there are way more dangers doing that then there ever would be in simply locking the gun in a safe or even the glove box in my locked car. I would of course have to stop again on exiting the property to reload and make ready. Then of course if one of the AA mangers saw me stopped that would give them the "reason" to search my car, so I better not have that nude phote of my spouce in the glove box. (no I dont keep nude photos in my car but I think I should be able too if I wanted). While I dont think I am in any position to do anything at all other than submit here. I don't think "it is not so bad". I think it is really sad, and a horrible infringement of my legal rights.

Just my personal thoughts, and again thanks for all your help on this.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I will admit however, to being pretty surprised. While I understand and apreciate the people that say legally AA can do exactly what they threaten to do here it really surprises me that the majority opinion seems to be "its not so bad".
    Personally I belive the inside of your car should be treated the same as the inside of your home, but unfortunately the state doesn't feel that way.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well now...I'm not quite so sure. Heaven knows I'm no lawyer, but it would seem that a case could be made that the legislation intended to allow an employee to have a legal weapon in their vehicle - and that as a practical matter, a gun separated from its' ammunition is in fact an expensive (and woefully undersized) club - effectively removing it as a "gun" is intended to be. As noted, it's going to take a test case to ultimately prove this out one way or another, but I'd love to sit on a jury with this one - because to me, it's like the old Poll Taxes - and THEY were found to be illegal, too.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    From my understanding, when you're operating it as a motor vehicle it's treated like car and not a residence. Parked at a campsite or RV park, yeah its a "home". Not sure that'd fly in a parking lot for motor vehicles.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control;

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as
    living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means
    a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is
    designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse
    trailer with living quarters.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control;

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as
    living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means
    a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is
    designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse
    trailer with living quarters.

So drive to work, cook yourself some bacon and eggs in your motor home or camper. Eat and catch a nap at lunch. Yeah? No?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So drive to work, cook yourself some bacon and eggs in your motor home or camper. Eat and catch a nap at lunch. Yeah? No?

"motor home or camper" is specifically named in the law, so yes (you need to be sleeping there at night too, since law requires "being used as a living quarters").

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    I would not let them search my vehicle at any time whether I was carrying or not...and have done so. If it means I am fired, so be it. Its not their property to make decisions for..its just on their property...a situation that can be remedied easily.

Mt. Dew......haven't had that in years, though the Mt. Lightning is pretty close. Sadly, I am having to get off caffeine for a while. We are in the process of locking all weaponry and ammo up while I go cold turkey.:ohnoes::ohnoes:

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    "motor home or camper" is specifically named in the law, so yes (you need to be sleeping there at night too, since law requires "being used as a living quarters").

What is the benefit? The bill prohibits companies from preventing firearm storage in motor vehicles. I guess you could OC in your RV at lunch time but who cares.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ask TheDan, he brought it up, not me. I just referenced the law.
    lol... you're the one that brought up the RV. I was just lamenting the fact that the inside of your vehicle is not treated with the same sanctity as your home.

I don't see the practical benefit to driving an RV to increase your privacy. You're employer will just ask you to never park it at work and will still fire you if you don't consent to their search. However, I do like the idea of having a zero mile commute, and taking a nap at lunch

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    lol... you're the one that brought up the RV. I was just lamenting the fact that the inside of your vehicle is not treated with the same sanctity as your home.

True, that was an indirect reference to the law which came closest to meeting your statement:

Personally I belive the inside of your car should be treated the same as the inside of your home, but unfortunately the state doesn't feel that way.

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    Back to the point of the OP -- the company policy only seems to apply on company property...I'm curious exactly how much real estate AA actually owns in Texas. Due to the reference of secure airport areas, I would think that the majority of the AA business is done where the airplanes are, and the airport owns the real property surrounding the terminal. This seems to indicate that the airport owns the parking lot, not American Airlines.

Am I missing something? Because it seems this memo was generated to provide a 'warm fuzzy' to the entirety of the AA executive leadership.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    AA owns a lot of property. They have a big corporate campus just south of DFW airport on Amon Carter. They also have repair facilities, training facilities, etc. There's a lot more to them than just their airport presence.

Top Bottom