Getting my first custom 1911 build started

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by OJ knives, Nov 13, 2017.

1. OJ knives

OJ knives New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    I thought that I used up all of my luck when this unlucky girl agreed to marry me 20 years ago. I had more luck when she gave me 2 wonderful boys, when I figured that all of this was way more than I deserved, she goes out and buys me a damascus slide and gives me the ok to build the 1911 that I wanted. I love my wife.
    Not going overboard is hard to do. Money is always tight with having to pay bills and feed two teenaged kids. I took the commander slide and a frame off of a gun (another gift from my wife) to Wainrights out of New Braunfels to fit slide to frame and barrel to bushing. I plan to use this completed frame to save $. I plan to change out all internals at a later date, and then coat the frame later. Im trying to do this in steps to keep from spending alot of $ at once. What do you guys think. Pics will come later because I took it to smith before I woke up.

Charlie likes this.
  2. Army 1911

Army 1911 Well-Known

Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    If you are building a commander, make sure the frame is cut for a commander. The VIS is further back and the rails are shorter on commanders.

Charlie likes this.
  3. OJ knives

OJ knives New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    Thanks for info. Im using a Caspian commander size frame that the smith checked out to make sure all works with the slide also from Caspian. Just wondering if its wise to do it in steps knowing that it will take longer than having it all done at once.

4. F350-6

F350-6 Well-Known

May 25, 2009
    Depending on how much is done by a smith, and how much you do yourself, there could be some savings in labor charges from a smith if you had him do everything at once.

But then again, it's also cheaper to just pay cash for your house up front than it is to finance it and pay for it a little at a time.

Sometimes what's technically best or cheapest, doesn't fit into real world scenarios.

5. OJ knives

OJ knives New Member

Nov 12, 2017
    After looking at all the stuff you can buy and things you can do to a 1911 I see how some builds can get up in price.