• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    I thought that I used up all of my luck when this unlucky girl agreed to marry me 20 years ago. I had more luck when she gave me 2 wonderful boys, when I figured that all of this was way more than I deserved, she goes out and buys me a damascus slide and gives me the ok to build the 1911 that I wanted. I love my wife.
    Not going overboard is hard to do. Money is always tight with having to pay bills and feed two teenaged kids. I took the commander slide and a frame off of a gun (another gift from my wife) to Wainrights out of New Braunfels to fit slide to frame and barrel to bushing. I plan to use this completed frame to save $. I plan to change out all internals at a later date, and then coat the frame later. Im trying to do this in steps to keep from spending alot of $ at once. What do you guys think. Pics will come later because I took it to smith before I woke up.
    Guns International

OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    Thanks for info. Im using a Caspian commander size frame that the smith checked out to make sure all works with the slide also from Caspian. Just wondering if its wise to do it in steps knowing that it will take longer than having it all done at once.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Depending on how much is done by a smith, and how much you do yourself, there could be some savings in labor charges from a smith if you had him do everything at once.

But then again, it's also cheaper to just pay cash for your house up front than it is to finance it and pay for it a little at a time.

Sometimes what's technically best or cheapest, doesn't fit into real world scenarios.

OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    After looking at all the stuff you can buy and things you can do to a 1911 I see how some builds can get up in price.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    I am a dyed in the wool 1911 guy. Many builds and 3 in progress right now.
    Yes you can do anything you desire to a 1911 the only limits are your imagination and budget.
    I am long on imagination and as with most folks a bit limited on budget.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I used to be a guy that liked to "tinker" with the 1911s in my possession. I had a friend who was a great gunsmith and between the two of us we came up with some nice shooters. My gunsmith friend died recently. Losing that option put a crimp in my options.
    Last year I had the opportunity to buy a Wilson stainless Classic, a Wilson CQB, and an a stainless Ed Brown Executive Elite. I have since sold the CQB and the Ed Brown, I love the WC Classic. I have become a WC fan.
    There is no way I could ever build a 1911 with the attention to detail and fit that WC employs in their products. In my opinion, the only way to create a truly fine 1911 is to start with all hand fitted parts. My gunsmith friend was very good at what he did, but he was no match for the guys who create masterpieces everyday and have all of the materials they need to achieve this at hand.
    I bought my WC Classic used for $2,750. You will probably invest that much in your conversion.
    I am not trying to talk you out of anything, I am just offering my opinion.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    These pics are one of my modified Springfields. Started out new in the box Range Officer. Many iterations later this is the end result. I am capable of the machine work but I to have a good friend that smiths. He has all the jigs/programs to do this crazy stuff. This thing runs like a 9mm. Shoots flat/level and is dead accurate. It makes me look competent.

I have since changed the grips and done some more internal work removing weight from the slide.

Attachments

• 0603151353-00.jpg
      0603151353-00.jpg
      316.9 KB · Views: 91
    • 0603151353-01 (1).jpg
      0603151353-01 (1).jpg
      320.3 KB · Views: 110

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    This is the gun as it is now. Found the pics....:facepalm:

It has gone through a re-color

Attachments

• IMG_0722 (1).JPG
      IMG_0722 (1).JPG
      17.7 KB · Views: 110

OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    Oldvet
    Thanks for your input. I would love to be able to purchase a high end custom pistol but funds are being used elsewhere. I know the build will eventually be up there in $ but I'm doing it in steps as $ allows. I just had smith fit barrel to slide and slide to frame, later down the line I will have new safety installed and blended and have frame deep blued with high polish. A little at a time as I rathole $.

OJ knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2017
    Churchmouse
    That is a fine looking piece. My SA RO in 9mm looks nothing like that, how do you like using those sights.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    Churchmouse
    That is a fine looking piece. My SA RO in 9mm looks nothing like that, how do you like using those sights.

I have to get used to it due to the high mounting. It takes a second but once I get on the dot I am fine.
    This is just one of many we have modified or built from scratch.

Thanks for the kind words.

Top Bottom