• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    The AR15/M4 Carbine has become a fixture in America today. I dare say the AR is more popular now than ever and with good reason. The M4 is a light handy carbine and is the current rifle of our US Fighting Men. Rifle used by the US Military and Law Enforcement usually finds favor with the American public.
    A peculiar thing tends to occur when a firearm become "popular". Greed begins to set in and manufacturers begin to jump on the bandwagon to make a few bucks. I have no issues with making money. If you're the one spending the money you're best off spending it wisely. Buy once, Cry Once...I didn't invent the saying, but I sure do use it often. When it comes to buying an M4 I hope I can give you some ideas on how you can spend wisely.
    Bargain AR's: what really constitutes a bargain? Building a gun from an “AR kit” is a risky proposition. Unless you have significant experience building firearms or you are a professional armorer, building your own weapon is probably not your best choice. When you consider that you are building something that will be producing an explosion just in front of your face, building your own rifle may be a risky proposition unless you are highly skilled. Better to seek out companies that build rifles that are affordable.
    I have worked on AR's for the USAF as a CATM (Combat Arms Training and Maintenance) Instructor and I have owned and used AR's that cost a variety of dollar amounts and were at various levels of quality. If you buy a firearm from a reputable manufacturer or retailer and you have problems with the weapon, it can be returned for repair, replacement, or sometimes a complete refund. Pick a rifle from a commercial manufacturer and you have those options. When you buy from a trusted retailer you have those options. Those are good options to have, especially if you are new to owning ARs.
    Of the lower-priced ARs, I put DPMS, Del-Ton, and Bushmaster in the same category. They aren't the least expensive and but they definitely aren't the most expensive. You can find a very serviceable rifle from one of these companies. I’ve used weapons from all three companies and put them through tests much more rugged than just a day at the range punching holes in paper. There are things you need to know about an AR that cannot be ascertained by just firing a weapon at the range. I base my opinions on shooting these rifles in a variety of different scenarios and conditions.
    The Bushmaster has a chrome lined bore. If you're going to shoot in tropical environments, shoot tracers, and clean your barrel infrequently this is important. However, if you clean your barrel after each shooting session and take care of it, a non-lined barrel will last just fine. There is no doubt the chrome lined bore is harder, very corrosion resistant, and it’s a good option to have. It’s just not a deal breaker for me with an entry level AR. The DPMS and Del-Ton aren’t that different from the Bushmaster with the exception of the chrome lined bore.

The more expensive high-end rifles are more expensive for a reason. There parts are often individually tested instead of being selected from a batch and the rifles generally come with more features. These high-end rifles are not “bad buys” and I would never fault someone for owning them, but you can get into the AR game for less money and spend the difference in ammo and training. In America we tend to be more gear driven than skill driven. All the cool guy gun gear on your high dollar AR won’t make you a better shooter. A good shooter can benefit from a top end rifle and certain accessories.
    You need to take your AR out and shoot it. By shooting it and practicing your Rifle Marksmanship Fundamentals you can start thinking about optimizing your rifle for you. My training partner runs his AR box stock. No red dot sight, no scope, just straight irons with the carrying handle that came from the factory. He has decided to go with an ACOG when he’s ready to put optics on his rifle, but for now he is satisfied in becoming the best rifleman he can be with a stock rifle. I tend to think the same way, but there are some advantages to utilizing today’s technology.
    In my opinion, holographic sights are the best thing since sliced bread. The good ones are exceptional and the cheap copies are junk. If you go with Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Eotech, you won’t be disappointed. Keep air soft junk off your fighting rifle. The awesome thing about a holographic sight is you go from having three things to line up to sight in a target to just one. When using iron sights you have to align the rear sight with the front sight and then center them on the target. With the holographic sights, when zeroed, you just superimpose the dot on your target. It’s fast and it’s simple. The only problem is anything man-made can fail, even holographic sights. That’s why every rifle I own has Back Up Iron Sights (BUIS).
    Again, fundamentals are everything. You have to be able to use iron sights to be a good rifleman. If your holographic sight goes down you’ll need irons to get you back in the fight. The BUIS I use is made by GG&G and it is the flip up type. There are several makers of good back up sights. Again, steer clear of junk. Buy good quality kit and know it will serve its intended purpose. Make sure you zero your BUIS. Sights are important on a rifle whether they be optics or irons, but what about the trigger?
    A service trigger in an AR15 is not the best target trigger. A match trigger is not the best service trigger. I like the Rock River Single Stage Match Trigger for target use, but for a carry rifle I use a stock trigger. If you shoot a stock trigger enough you might be surprised at how well it smooths itself out. On one of my rifles I’ve been accused of having a trigger job done, but that’s what about 2500 rounds will do for your trigger along with allot of dry practice.
    Now you have some information on how to break into the AR scene without breaking the bank. Buy quality, stay away from cheap components, and get good solid training. Follow those simple rules and you can reach your and your rifle’s full potential.
    Jon Payne
    Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Texas SOT

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    You'd do better getting a S&W. Also, don't necessarily rule out buying a complete quality lower and upper separately if it results in $'s saved. Slapping them together is not "building" an AR.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I went the AR route some time ago with a Bushmaster M4 , BO (before obama) and it is a sweet rifle. Then came a Ceiner .22lr conversion which is now left in the rifle for the Grandkid's enjoyment. For .223/5.56 I use the super accurate, slightly heavy Galil, and for my fun shooting there is my WASR AK47 my favorite.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I'm not a huge fan of Spike's Tactical, but they have the best bang for the buck on the market. Mil spec, great fit and finish, and reasonably priced. Daniel Defense is a close second.

I personally am not a fan of Bushmaster. Their prices are not up to standard with the price you pay. The fit and finish from the ones I have handled were also pretty crappy.

I'm no "operator", but I run plenty of drills with my ARs and the AK. I "train" with failures, for the sake of clearing failures. Random dummy rounds, a crappy mag that feeds uneven (ie double feeds or jams), running with the optic off using the housing as a over sized sight ring, and running irons close and distance targets. It's a hell of a lot more fun to run the damn thing like it shouldn't run then to load her up and run it with no problems.

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    Outside of range and plinking use, I personally would not trust my life on Bushmaster nor any of the ones you equate with its tier.

I agree with TXSUT, S&W offers better at a comparable price. But, at that price point, you might as well go with BCM, DD or Spikes.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm not a huge fan of Spike's Tactical, but they have the best bang for the buck on the market. Mil spec, great fit and finish, and reasonably priced. Daniel Defense is a close second.

I personally am not a fan of Bushmaster. Their prices are not up to standard with the price you pay. The fit and finish from the ones I have handled were also pretty crappy.

I'm no "operator", but I run plenty of drills with my ARs and the AK. I "train" with failures, for the sake of clearing failures. Random dummy rounds, a crappy mag that feeds uneven (ie double feeds or jams), running with the optic off using the housing as a over sized sight ring, and running irons close and distance targets. It's a hell of a lot more fun to run the damn thing like it shouldn't run then to load her up and run it with no problems.

Bushmaster has some huge QC issues that need to be solved. I've seen them ship guns that refuse to run right out of the box, snapped bolts, got a picture a friend sent me of a Bushy lower that's got a huge crack running along the back of the magazine well under the mag catch. Vuurwapen blog has a high speed video of a Bushy .308 failing to extract before the end of 200 rounds.

I don't shoot for a living, but I like to run competition once in a while and can run a gun pretty hard when I'm training, backpacking, and what have you with it. And I do expect my AR to work as a home defense rifle if someone were to throw a brick through my sliding door right now, so it better be good enough to bet my continued existence on.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I have a DPMS. It doesnt have a chromed barrel and it is a great rifle. The more I shoot it, the better it gets. The only issue I have with it is the trigger pull, too damn tight, but thats an easy fix.
    I have never had a chromed barrel and really dont know what the benefit would be. Chromed bolt reciever, thats a different issue, but I have had both and had no problem with either.
    The DPMS stuff is great and I would hesitate to buy one. I know some people who swear by the Colt, and I dont dought their word either, but all I can say is I never had a issue with my DPMS stuff.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Quote***I'm not a huge fan of Spike's Tactical, but they have the best bang for the buck on the market. Mil spec, great fit and finish, and reasonably priced. Daniel Defense is a close second.

Funny you say you are not a fan of spikes then list 4 good ass qualities if you ask me. I have built some ar's on $50 superior lowers, blemished lowers, and $300 lowers. They all function fine. I have multiple spikes right now and I love them for the price as you mentioned and I would never pay for a lower like noveske.. Now POF or Mega that has enhanced features might be worth the extra $$$.

I agree *Edit* this is a good write up but I do not agree that it is not a good idea to build one yourself. I have built probably 15 at this point. They are self head spacing guns and really the two main things you really need to understand are to properly torque your delta ring and don't forget to put some anti-seize on the barrel extension and threads. By building it yourself it forces you to learn more about your weapon and most people are going to take the time to do it right as it is their face that would blow off if the gun blows up.

Some issues can come up with function so other things to check are barrel gas port, proper gas block alignment, gas rings on bolt, and proper buffer and spring. I have shot out of the box guns that have these problems and you just have to go into diagnosis mode. I cannot argue though with having a company backed warranty for replacement or service if the issue cannot be remedied by your lonesome.

The rest is follow the instructions stuff and my only other recommendation is to be careful with the small parts and have the right tools.

Bushmasters are awesome for the majority of us. They eat everything and besides a few issues like light staked keys, non staked castle, they have a hell of a good barrel on them.

If you want to trust your ar-15 with your life get quality parts and shoot quality ammo. The most important in my opinion starts with the barrel and bolt. If you want more reliability go with a piston. The ar-15 is a wonderful weapon but you have to agree that the design behind it is not as ingenious as some might think. A weapon that eats where it shits is going to have problems.

This brings up using an AR as a civilian to protect yourself. I do not find this idea very practical as keeping a loaded AR in an apartment or any residential area is not a great idea. Even a soft point .223 will go right through multiple walls and Xm193 or larger ball is designed to penetrate. And if you have children keeping an AR next to the bed is not an option and pulling an AR up inside a car is not very practical.

I think Balloo has it right and train like things are going to go wrong. What I see with the popularity of the ar-15 exploding is people buying them and just taking them out of the box and then wondering why its not like the magpul videos. For example I was out last weekend and a guy actually had an ar-10 and he had a failure to fire he immediately racked another round and it cause a terrible double feed and the bullet was jammed into the clip so of course the clip would not fall out. He put the gun on safe immediately which was great so I figured I would just watch him. After a few minutes he completely gave up. My point here is that if people don't understand the weapon system it increases problems that can occur with that system and things become unsafe. Its a system.. systems have multiple components that need to operate correctly.

I realize my opinion and experiences are not great as I am one of the lucky ones that was introduced to firearms when I was very young. Once you shoot enough guns you start to understand how the majority of them work and have general knowledge of how to handle, load, clear, and clean most that are commercially sold. I also agree with what you say about using the guns- and gear vs skill. Get out there and shoot, but if you do not feel you can safely do that ask for help.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Some Colts are good guns... Other colts just like bushmaster, Remington, and GLOCKS!@#!@#!@ have put out bad batches. Sry to change the topic here but people that think glocks are gods given gift take a look on the background of the g19 and some of the issues the early ones had.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    And everybody should have at least one backup!

Exactly.

I also hit LoneStar shooting range early in the morning on the weekends to run drills on the qualifying range. I will mix mags with various rounds but keep my pistol loaded. Shoot the rifle till empty, transtion to the pistols safely, complete the run with the pistol or do an Admin reload and run the rifle.

I see a lot of folks just bench their ARs even at the qualifying (25yrds) range and run them stationary. At that range you should practice offhand and moving as well as stationary. If your rifle is zeroed then there should be no concern to bench shooting that close up.

I have a few DVDs from Magpul and I think I have a Suarez around here somewhere as well as another DVD for the AK (the one with Sonny in it).

Guns are like cars. You need to know how to do more than just drive in a straight line, life is bound to throw some curves and turn arounds.

Top Bottom