• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Ok, I just got my new passport and with it came a card asking me to consider the global entry program. Any of you folks on that? Looks like an extended background check with an interview. It gives you access to shorter lines, inspection procedures and such. Is it worth the $100? Global Entry

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I'm gonna get one. Getting out of this country is easy. Getting back in is a real pain in the ass.

Barry Green

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    Yes I'm a Global Entry member. If you go internationally frequently, and you use a major international airport that has Global Entry kiosks, then yes it is well worth it. It's only $100 but it lets you skip the customs lines when you re-enter the US (well, assuming there aren't any lines at the kiosks, that is). And you also get to skip the line after you've retrieved your checked bags, so you really get to skip two lines.

So to figure if it's worth it, you have to consider how much time you spend in those lines (and how much annoyance you experience when standing in them!) If avoiding that hassle is worth $100, sign up. If standing in a customs line once or twice a year is no big deal to you, then don't bother with Global Entry.

When coming back from Japan or Thailand or someplace equally distant and having been flying for 18 or 24 hours and being worn out and frazzled and overall just having had enough, then getting off the plane and then seeing (seemingly) thousands of people jamming the customs line... yeah, it didn't take me too long to fill out the forms and get my Global Entry registration! :)

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Thanks for the info. After a direct flight from Narita to DFW, I about lost it over the little old lady in front of me who couldn't figure out how to get through customs. I usually only do a couple of international flights a year, but the lines at places like Newark are absurd. I'd be better if they accepted it at Heathrow. God, do I hate that antiquated, butt-ugly airport. Avocado paint and seats anyone?

Flashcb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    If you make international flights, it is well worth it, works out to $20.00 bucks a year. if you go in and out of Canada, do the nexus too. I also got selected for the pre check program for domestic flights.

Last edited:

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    If you travel internationally frequently then it's absolutely worth it. Right now there's not that many people who's enrolled so getting to teh kiosk on entry is a breeze, if the kiosks are working. Another advantage is if once you arrive from international travel and your next connection is short, this helps out a lot especially if you're traveling light without any luggage.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Yes I'm a Global Entry member. If you go internationally frequently, and you use a major international airport that has Global Entry kiosks, then yes it is well worth it. It's only $100 but it lets you skip the customs lines when you re-enter the US (well, assuming there aren't any lines at the kiosks, that is). And you also get to skip the line after you've retrieved your checked bags, so you really get to skip two lines.

So to figure if it's worth it, you have to consider how much time you spend in those lines (and how much annoyance you experience when standing in them!) If avoiding that hassle is worth $100, sign up. If standing in a customs line once or twice a year is no big deal to you, then don't bother with Global Entry.

When coming back from Japan or Thailand or someplace equally distant and having been flying for 18 or 24 hours and being worn out and frazzled and overall just having had enough, then getting off the plane and then seeing (seemingly) thousands of people jamming the customs line... yeah, it didn't take me too long to fill out the forms and get my Global Entry registration!

and dealing with the ever so pleasant Customs/TSA personnel :rolleyes:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Its worth it even if you only use Pre-Check domestically. If you have a Platinum American Express they cover the $100 fee as a benefit (ie free to you).

SidewaysTA

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    CSTX
    I have it. As others have said it is very convenient if you travel internationally frequently. Plus like someone also mentioned, some airports are starting to roll out speedy security lines for trusted travelers and being in the Global Entry program is one way to get in on that. It was a no brainier for me since my company paid for it.

Mike

Last edited:

filmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    San Antonio area
    I am going to get my Global Pass this year. I travel internationally at least a couple times a year. Last October I had the misfortune of arriving at JFK on the Friday evening after Hurricane Sandy-what a nightmare, I stood in the line for immigrations for well over three hours after flying from Tel Aviv via Istanbul. Extended background check=no problem. Perhaps if they could just check with DPS…...

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Yup its very helpful specially when you are from X race or X religion and they do all kind of Bio hazard test and anal probes and make you wait in detain room if you come back from red flagged countries.

P.S: does anybody know what "SSS" means on boarding pass, whenever its marked a friend of mine is detained for 6-8 hours on airport in US (even travelling domestic) yes he is a muslim, an american citizen for the past 30+ years and as Texan as anyone could be.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom