Glock 19 or Springfield XD9 compact?

TXwaterfowl

Feb 22, 2009
San Antonio
I have been wanting a Glock 19 but the Springfield xd9 compact series of pistols sure look sweet and I have heard nothing but good things about them. Which would you choose and why? Thanks for your input.

lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
Idaho
Buy the Springfield. I bought a Glock, and I wish I could just get rid of it. I like the Glock but I've found myself really liking my colt 1911 so much better. The Springfield XD9 is basically an updated Glock, it uses the same ideas for the composite lower as the Glocks use.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
Buy whichever feels more comfortable to you. Both are great guns and reliable too. IMO Glocks are more reliable and have a much longer track record, which is enough to win me over. When in doubt, a Glock will almost always function. They aren't perfect but, they are about as close as a handgun gets to being able to be treated like a lawnmower and still keep running fine.

nalioth

Oct 13, 2008
Houston Metro
Buy whichever feels more comfortable to you. Both are great guns and reliable too. IMO Glocks are more reliable and have a much longer track record, which is enough to win me over. When in doubt, a Glock will almost always function. They aren't perfect but, they are about as close as a handgun gets to being able to be treated like a lawnmower and still keep running fine.
Aside from the time frame, all the same points can be made for the XD.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
Aside from the time frame, all the same points can be made for the XD.
I've seen some concerning issues with XDs, but they are relatively rare compared to most semi-autos. Simply put, they have a tendency to just lock-up. You have to really hammer on the slide, or know a secret kung-fu chop to get the thing to eject. It's not a common occurrence, but it has happened a handful of times.

I wouldn't let that scare me away from owning one though, or even suggesting them to people.

Really the Glock vs. XD argument is more over how the gun sits in your hand. They are completely different in this regard, and that's the #1 reason why people go for one or the other. I've seen people completely sold on a Glock from the tales of awesomness on the net and from other gun nuts, and they walk out with an XD just happy as can be. It's one of those things you'll know as soon as you feel both.

I personally prefer the feel of the XD9, but the operation and trigger of the G19. For what it's worth, I own a G19.

Texas42

TGT Addict
Nov 21, 2008
Texas
You got a favorite flavor? Dark chocolate or chocolate chip chocolate? That is the question here.

Both good guns. I own the Glock 19 and love it. I've heard the XD's are good guns. A little different than the Glocks, but it is a personal preferance for the most part.

Hold them both. The one that feels right, is.

Have fun.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
The S&W M&P series is worth considering as well.

Top Bottom