Glock 34 vs Springfield XDm

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by JMATT199, Dec 16, 2009.

1. JMATT199

JMATT199 Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    All I have heard from everyone is the Glock is the best. Well, IMO its is a good gun. I just purchased a Glock 34. I was really surprised how good it felt in my hand. It is light, for a full size. It is very accurate. And best of all, it's not that expensive. But, not the quality of the XDm. The big thing about the XDm is, not good out of the box. After about 2500 rounds and she gets broke in, totally different gun. I don't like the muzzel flip of the G34. I need to change out the guide and spring to a heavy duty metal guide and better spring. But the bottom line, IMO the XDm is a better gun. Love the Glock! Prefer the XDm!

2. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    The best part about Glock is the simplicity. They do exactly what they are supposed to do with no bells or whistles. Springfield makes good stuff for sure, but the Xd line up is just a Glock with useless stuff added to it. Why change out the guide rod and spring on a Glock? it works just fine.

3. JMATT199

JMATT199 Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    Guide rod is plastic. They will and have broke. Plus a little more weight in the front helps with the muzzel flip on the G34.

4. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    how many rounds did you put through it to break it? I can see what you mean on the weight.

5. JMATT199

JMATT199 Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    500 rounds so far. Out of the box it was great. First mag 3 inch group, but high. Im not perfect, but I am never grouped that well high. The more I shot it, the more my groups came down. I am just not comfortable with the plastic guide rod. FYI, I like the trigger pull on my XDm better.

6. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I don't know where you get your info, but my XD-45 has several thousand rounds through it without a hiccup; and I literally started shooting it right out of the box!

And the XD is a lot more than a "Glock with useless stuff added to it." for one, the angle of the grip is the same as a 1911, and is better than the Glock's. Secondly, my XD came with a metal guide rod, and I have never heard of one breaking and I follow XDTalk quite closely. I have heard the XDm uses plastic ones, but so does Glock in the 23 and maybe others (does the 21 as well?). Don't badmouth the XDm over something that Glock does as well!

That said, I have shot a XDm-40 and didn't like it as much as my XD-45. I guess I am more "old school" Springfield. It wasn't bad, I just prefer my XD.

And I am not against Glocks, before the XD series came out it was my favorite polymer pistol; but in honesty the XD is an improvement over, and not a copy of, the Glock. :happy0001:

7. JMATT199

JMATT199 Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx
    The Glock is the one we are talking about with the plastic guide rod. Not the XD.

8. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Whoop, my bad! :lolz:

But I'll still debate claymore504's comment "the Xd line up is just a Glock with useless stuff added to it" :bs:

9. claymore504

claymore504 Well-Known

Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    When it comes down to it, it is all in what you prefer. I actually prefer the Glock grip and think the XDs feel top heavy. I really do not think SA took the Glock platform and "improved" on anything from my point of view. The XD line is it's own breed and holds a well deserved spot in the polymer frame pistol world.

10. Texas Bulldog

Texas Bulldog Active Member

Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    XD and especially the XDm are nicer guns than the glock IMO..

The only thing i like about the glock more than the XD/XDm is the Tennifer finish.

JOe