• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLongjr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Cypress, Texas
    Shopping for new full size semi automatic. Looking at full sized glock in .45 and springfiled 1911 clone. Any opinions both about same price. Very capable owner so no soap boxes about safeties please.
    Hurley's Gold

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hmmmm....first post, asks about 2 totally different platforms - then wants to limit discussion.

My friend - there may be perfectly valid thoughts about safety's that you haven't considered. Beyond there, by the limitation, you might well offend someone with some other VERY valid input to offer that may opt not to. I own a few 1911's, zero Glocks. Don't like 'em, and IMO they don't hold value - but that's ONLY me. Others love 'em, and that's fine for them, because not all of us are alike.

For the record, I *have* owned Glocks, and can make 'em put the rounds where I want 'em, but I just don't like 'em. Tons of folks do, though. My issue is with the grip - to me, the aimpoint of a 1911 is far more natural than the Glock.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    First post with that question?

You're local so let me take you out shooting. When do you want to go to Hot Wells?

I'll find one of each you pay the ammo cost and split the range fees and we'll find what YOU like without causing a forum war.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    You say your capable but don't know the difference or want to educate yourself on the differences?
    Go to a local range that rents both and shoot both to see which one you like. You might be a vette man or a mustang man but you got to test drive em both.
    All I can say is a $500 1911 might need $1000 in parts and labor. The glock will be 100% reliable and functional out of the box but it can't be made to be a target gun.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Shopping for new full size semi automatic. Looking at full sized glock in .45 and springfiled 1911 clone. Any opinions both about same price. Very capable owner so no soap boxes about safeties please.
    Which 1911 are you looking at? Some at that price range you couldn't give me, and some are a great value. You can't go wrong with a Glock by the way. The G21 would be my choice over any lower end 1911, and many higher end ones also. It is proven and fits my hand like a glove.

Welcome to TGT.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Get both, you can never have enough guns....

Besides, the comparison is apples to oranges for me. One has higher capacity, is reliable without any tinkering; the other is fun to shoot, fun to tinker with. One has history, one modern innovation. Both get the job done out of the box (yes, a SA 1911 out of the box is reliable and doesn't need any tinkering in my experience).

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I would have to say that if I had to make a choice between a Glock & a 1911 for SD, & I would not be allowed to check how it fed any ammo, much less HP's, or "break it in", then I would pick a Glock out of the box over a 1911......

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sorry, my new Kimber CDP required new springs & mags to function properly.....I have 3 glocks that worked great out of the box.

TERRor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Marion, Texas
    I've owned over 50 1911's (and still own 3) in my 41 years and never had one that fed, or ejected, all ammo reliably out of the box.....or even after being tuned. I can't say the same about a Glock. I love my 1911's but have come to the realization in the last couple of months that I don't know if I would trust my life to one.

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I say have both. If glocks don't fit your hand, then get an XD. I like glocks myself and 1911s. There is not a winner as they both have pros and cons.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    I own both. But as you can see from my collection which brand I prefer:

rayguns.jpg

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    No winners in this argument.... Started by a guy who hasn't come back and commented.

Dang dude, it hasn't been 24 hrs yet. There's only been 12 replys and one of them appears to be regarding . . . Ray guns?

The 19th rnd through my Glock was a FTE because my grip was too loose. 3000 - 5000 rnds later I have not had another FTE, much less a FTF. I am not what you would call meticulous about cleaning it either.

brocknchrist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2011
    south texas
    I have the same questions as this guy... Stuck between, glock 17, xdm or 1911...
    To many good choices and all have their pluses and minus's just gotta shoot to know what you like... I like the way the.glock points but a full size 1911 is a thing of beauty... An xdm just fits as well as a glock without being quite so mainstream but everyone's mileage will vary...
    I love it when a plan comes together...

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    Dang dude, it hasn't been 24 hrs yet. There's only been 12 replys and one of them appears to be regarding . . . Ray guns?

I was trying to lighten the subject, this thread could turn ugly, real fast.

They are two totally different monsters, I have a glock and a springfield 1911. Theres only one way to to find out rent 'em, shoot 'em. My 1911 was a hell of alot of tuning for me, but worth it.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I was trying to lighten the subject, this thread could turn ugly, real fast.

And I was playing along Mr. Temper, so let the lightness shine. :)

I only gave my opinion (OPs request) on the monster I have any real experience with and left the 1911s alone. I was not picking sides. Those who have run both platforms have more to offer than me. I second the shoot em before you buy em plan.

I don't think it should get ugly if people merely give their opinion.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I think because of the negative reaction to the post (which I didn't think was a out of line as some presented it) we all say things in a way that comes off wrong from time to time. The OP might be a great guy, but we'll never know... He came, posted and got jumped on so he's gone. Thats how it goes on Al Gore's Internet.

But I'll answer his question as some did. A low end 1911 vs a Glock, HK, Sig, M&P or XD is not contest as far as reliability. Nix the low end 1911 and you might save your life some day.

LilIrishTemper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    DFW - Sherman
    And I was playing along Mr. Temper, so let the lightness shine. :)

I only gave my opinion (OPs request) on the monster I have any real experience with and left the 1911s alone. I was not picking sides. Those who have run both platforms have more to offer than me. I second the shoot em before you buy em plan.

I don't think it should get ugly if people merely give their opinion.

lol, agreed!

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I think because of the negative reaction to the post (which I didn't think was a out of line as some presented it) we all say things in a way that comes off wrong from time to time. The OP might be a great guy, but we'll never know... He came, posted and got jumped on so he's gone. Thats how it goes on Al Gore's Internet.

But I'll answer his question as some did. A low end 1911 vs a Glock, HK, Sig, M&P or XD is not contest as far as reliability. Nix the low end 1911 and you might save your life some day.
    What? I offered to show him the differences by taking him out and going shooting.. Highly doubt he's left because of the comments here. If he has... well..

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom