• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    On Sunday (09/24) evening around 9:30 pm we got hit by hail the size of grapefruit. The worst was concentrated in our neighborhood. Solid ice, not that squishy stuff. Came through the windows, walls and roof like cannon balls. Just finished a major remodel and new roof and exterior paint. Total loss on the roof. Totaled three cars too. Was booked for a 15 day cruise out of New York on Wednesday. Filed the claims that night and boarded the windows the next day. Left that mess and went on the cruise. Flying home right now on the plane and have to deal with the mess Monday. Over $60k so far. Have to replace all the windows in the house, carpet due to glass shards, siding and roof. Figure out what to do with the cars. Here are a few teaser pictures. That big dent was one hailstone.
    Military Camp

Attachments

• PXL_20230925_162556512.jpg
      PXL_20230925_162556512.jpg
      233.4 KB · Views: 80
    • PXL_20230925_162541068.jpg
      PXL_20230925_162541068.jpg
      253.7 KB · Views: 83
    • PXL_20230925_041254419.jpg
      PXL_20230925_041254419.jpg
      186.8 KB · Views: 77

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Yeah where was this?

Also, reminder OP is at $60,000 so far. I'll bet a donut he hasn't paid $60k in insurance in the last 10 years combined between home and auto policies. Time will tell if his adjuster will take care of him and he'll be on his merry way, but nonetheless a reminder to not shop for the cheapest possible insurance.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Texas. So far the estimate looks reasonable and it's just the estimate. There's a few other things that'll need to be worked out but it looks okay so far. Been there 21 years paying insurance. Paid it off a decade ago.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Cars aren't totaled but will have to see what the body shop estimate is to do the repairs versus what they proposed. 3000 on the beetle 4900 on the Hyundai.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    The car repairs were cheaper than I would have guessed for that level of damage. Looks like every panel would need replacement and windows!

Glad nothing was injured that couldn't be replaced. The number of people I talk to say their first hail storm they walk out into it wondering if it'll hurt. I hear about 1 story per year the hail size shifts from pea to golf ball and 1 person gets at least a bruise running back into the house. Don't hold someone's beer if it starts hailing.

I wonder if I just coined a phrase?

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    All but the large dents are estimated as pdr. We will see how that goes. Only windshield and rear hatch window need replacing. Lots of cleanup.

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    I feel you Hail pain. We had three cars get hit by hail of which two were totaled and one was just about 10k in repairs. It also destroyed our roof which was over 30k. Being somewhat new to Texas, this hail stuff is quite disconcerting. Good insurance is a must.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    We had a Honda Fit destroyed by hail in College Station in 2019. Insurance started with PDR, but ended up with a total loss..

I wish the best in getting a good reimbursement.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. Tremendous disruption in life. But if the Good Lord has given you health and your family, everything else is optional.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Did some work in North Dakota back in the '80's and the guy who was our local contractor had a hailstone saved in his freezer that was the size of a football. It landed in the front seat of his truck while he was in church. The pictures of the destruction were amazing. His church had some sort of event and just as it was letting out, a really bad thunderstorm came up. They decided everyone should stay in the church until it passed. All of their cars were heavily damaged and every windshield was destroyed, but the church remained untouched. It didn't lose a window or a shingle. Had they let out just a few minutes earlier, it's hard to tell how many might have been injured. Needless to say, it made a believer out of many a member.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I feel your pain. Parked in outdoor parking at DFW when on a trip. When I tried to get back to DFW all flights had been cancelled. Why, the planes were destroyed by hail. Where were they I asked. DFW. When I finally got back it looked like the Jolly Green Giant had jumped on my car with a pogo stick. USAA came through but I learned to never park in the open at DFW.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Sorry that happened to you. I was running a train through that area during the storm (Austin, Roundrock, Hutto) and I saw a lot of damage. I kept waiting for one of the windows on my engine to get busted. Just be glad you weren’t driving in it because the vehicles on the road that night were getting destroyed.

Top Bottom