• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Is the brass cased corrosive stuff any good?

I Have some, but honestly I haven't done any comparisons with it. Most who have will tell you it is a better performing round.
    It's sealed like the Golden Tiger, so it seems to store well and some do reload it. It's non magnetic so it seems popular with guys who require that.
    I would say that maybe at one point it was a good choice based on price alone but those days of cheap surplus are gone.

Max can probably givve you more specifics.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Picked up 2 cases Saturday couldn't pass it up it's the first time in a year it's been back in stock. Wish I could afford more and it really is worth it when Wolf and Tula are going for the same price.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Didn't there used to be a South African surplus source that was packaged as "Golden Tiger"? I've got a case of the stuff somewhere and I like it a lot.

ETA:

1. Snagged a case since I'm always looking for a better round. One one case, though, since that's the limit.
    2. I looked in my closet. The South African stuff I like was branded "Cheetah". I guess I can't tell one cat from another.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Looks like they still have a few 500 rounders left. Thought that would have definitely been gone.

There are a few cases as well so technically you could buy 2 cases per their rules. Saw a guy yesterday that was picking it up as "range" ammo and I about had a aneurism. THis stuff is rare by x39 goes and is made to hold back not blast at the range stupid jerk.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Looks like they still have a few 500 rounders left. Thought that would have definitely been gone.
    ?

As of a minute ago:

Screenshot%20from%202015-05-19%20131343_zpsv66l9u6z.png

In the last 20 minutes, the quantity of 1000-round cases has dropped from 20 to 11. By the time anyone reads this post, my point may be moot.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There are a few cases as well so technically you could buy 2 cases per their rules.
    That's what I wound up doing. 2K rounds on the way. Added to the 5-6K I've already got, I'm pretty fixed for ammo for my SKS and AK. I guess I'll turn my attention to rimfire stuff now.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    SGAmmo is either constantly updating their inventory numbers or playing games to make it look like the supply is more limited than it really is. After the 1000-round cases in stock dropped to 6 a few minutes ago, the site now shows:

Screenshot%20from%202015-05-19%20133010_zpsqnlmrnxz.png

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    That's what I wound up doing. 2K rounds on the way. Added to the 5-6K I've already got, I'm pretty fixed for ammo for my SKS and AK. I guess I'll turn my attention to rimfire stuff now.

Good on you! GT is AWESOME ammunition as it is sealed on both ends, take s a magnet, boat tailed and lacquer finished. Great SHTF hold backs to pack away and save. I only could afford a 1k of it but its a good start. I would never use it as "rang" ammo.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    SGAmmo is either constantly updating their inventory numbers or playing games to make it look like the supply is more limited than it really is. After the 1000-round cases in stock dropped to 6 a few minutes ago, the site now shows:

Screenshot%20from%202015-05-19%20133010_zpsqnlmrnxz.png

They do. They purposely hold back in certain quaintities and case sizes so that everyone can get a chance to get some GT ammo. They do post when and where the ammo is coming in AND will show video's of it coming in and what it looks like. I really appluad SGAmmo's approach to business as it helps the shooters in our hobby and keeps out the neckbeards. They also do not price gouge especially with ammo like this. They know that it has been scarce for over a year and they could have doubled the price and gotten it but chose to price it the same that it was a year ago.

Hopefully there will be more coming but nobody knows for sure including the distributors.

ECS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Victoria TX
    I really don't know what their game is.

I ordered one of those 500rd cases of 7.62x39 Hornady SST a few weeks ago. When I ordered, they were down to 6 cases. Once I placed my order, that left them with only 12 cases. And now they are back down to 4.

I just ordered the 1000rd of Golden Tiger. I guess I'll just throw it over with the rest.

Anyway, good catch Southpaw.

Top Bottom