• ...and so much more!
  • Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I downloaded GC about 2 months ago and thought it was great but recently I have to reload the page every time I click on a thread here on TGT or Texas gun
    trader . It doesn't happen anywhere else but these two sites.
    "No data received
    Unable to load the webpage because the server sent no data.
    Here are some suggestions:
    Reload this web page later.
    Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data."

I had Firefox prior to chrome but couldn't view/watch youtube or any videos.
    This is getting to be a pain in the ass.Anyone else else here run GC and have issues like this? I read that this is a bug that GC doesn't intend to fix:banghead:
    Venture Surplus ad

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I use Chrome, Opera and Firefox and import the same bookmarks into each. Can't say I've had problems with any of it. I'm not a computer expert but as I get computers with more & more RAM, problems like that just disappear. How old is your rig and how much memory does it have? As speeds increase, the time for it to "time out" has been reduced. If there is a delay in processing, it'll drop out. Also, check your actual data transfer speed for the same reason....time out. I'll attach a link.

http://www.speakeasy.net/
    pick "speed test" and choose any location at the prompt. I paid a premium for high speed and that link showed I wasn't getting what I paid for. I beefed it and found the higher speed wasn't available in our rural area. They didn't mind charging me for the extra speed every month. I dropped it.

Flash

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    I did the speed test 1.76 Mbps download -0.38 upload
    I have no idea what that means.

209GB of free space on the hard drive the computer is 10yrs old

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I have IE, Firefox, and Chrome loaded on here. Some things require IE, but if they don't, I usually use Chrome and find it extremely stable.

Your problems may have to do with the age of your machine - esp. with memory size and processor speed.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I exclusively use Chrome on at least 5 computers, and have never had any problems. It is shear genius!

Being able to share bookmarks between all of the computers is a dream come true. Plus you can dump the Adobe Flash buffer, which if you have never done it, should be done monthly.

I would look elsewhere for your problem...

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Your speed is actually a bit better than mine in our rural neighborhood.

Go into "system" and check the amount of "RAM" (random access memory) in your computer. It has nothing to do with the HD capacity. If it's 10 years old, it could be limited. Putting more RAM in a computer is like putting a supercharger on the CPU. Unfortunately, the reverse is also true. Limited RAM dogs the system down. The programs we use today are gigantic compared to a decade ago and they require lots of RAM memory.

My laptop was crashing for the same reason. I happened to go to Office Depot to buy a chair and they whupped a $100 gift coupon for the purchase. I asked if the coupon could be used for a computer....Yup. I whipped around and got this laptop for $277! I retired the other 7 year old unit and my troubles were over. Sounds like you may need to go shopping.

Flash

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    1 GB of RAM AMD 3200+ processor 64

1G of RAM is pretty good in that computer, but the processor is most likely the cause of your issues; it's bogging down and getting brain farts. Time to upgrade Aces ! There is a great computer store in Waco, the Goodwill Computer store, they get alot of computers from business that have gone under or upgraded; can often pick up a really decent computer system for less than $200; lcd monitor and all.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    I've got a 3.0 Ghz triple core processor, 4 Gb of Ram a 640 GB hard drive and Chrome works like crap on my computer, it doesn't refresh correctly and if I'm surfing on youtube and click the back button to go back to my home page or subscription page it doesn't register that I've already watched the vids I have, it just always shows everything as it was when I opened up the Chrome browser, doesn't update the new vids coming in or new comments or anything, yet on IE everything works exactly like it should no problems whatsoever, it may be older and not have all the widgets that Chrome, Firefox or Safari have but it always does what I want it to, when I want it to do it, with no problems.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    yet on IE everything works exactly like it should no problems whatsoever, it may be older and not have all the widgets that Chrome, Firefox or Safari have but it always does what I want it to, when I want it to do it, with no problems.
    Yeap, and it also sends your browsing history and the contents of any forms you fill out to Microsoft regularly.

Not to mention it's the number one attack vector for malware writers (or have we forgotten the "bug" that has been around since Windows 3.1 that was just found last year and fixed?)

Yep, IE is doing all that you want and more than you know.

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Yeap, and it also sends your browsing history and the contents of any forms you fill out to Microsoft regularly.

Not to mention it's the number one attack vector for malware writers (or have we forgotten the "bug" that has been around since Windows 3.1 that was just found last year and fixed?)

Yep, IE is doing all that you want and more than you know.

I don't set my automatic updates, I don't trust anything microsoft does, I've seen computers crash after downloading updates from microsoft, I use other software to handle my firewalls and virus protection. Yet through it all, with nothing from IE other than the program as it was already installed on my computer brand new I have never had an issue with IE, not on my desktop, my laptop, my work computer, or the last 5 computers I've had, I take care of my computers and they stay running, I've never had a virus on any computer I've owned (only once on a work computer) and never had one crash on me, I only get rid of one to upgrade. So people can trash IE all they want, but it works.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I've got a 3.0 Ghz triple core processor, 4 Gb of Ram a 640 GB hard drive and Chrome works like crap on my computer, it doesn't refresh correctly and if I'm surfing on youtube and click the back button to go back to my home page or subscription page it doesn't register that I've already watched the vids I have, it just always shows everything as it was when I opened up the Chrome browser, doesn't update the new vids coming in or new comments or anything, yet on IE everything works exactly like it should no problems whatsoever, it may be older and not have all the widgets that Chrome, Firefox or Safari have but it always does what I want it to, when I want it to do it, with no problems.

I run Chrome on a 2 year old $200 ASUS netbook with a 1.6 Ghz single core Atom processor, and it provides outstanding Web performance. It supports all video playback up to the capability of the processor. It never seems slow, and scrolls as well as my more expensive computers. I would look elsewhere for your problem. The graphics in the netbook utilizes the slowest intel integrated graphics chip. Matter of fact I am using it to write this post in Chrome....

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    I run Chrome on a 2 year old $200 ASUS netbook with a 1.6 Ghz single core Atom processor, and it provides outstanding Web performance. It supports all video playback up to the capability of the processor. It never seems slow, and scrolls as well as my more expensive computers. I would look elsewhere for your problem. The graphics in the netbook utilizes the slowest intel integrated graphics chip. Matter of fact I am using it to write this post in Chrome....

Yeah I don't know what it is, I use windows 7 on one computer & Vista on the other .... ones a laptop and ones a desktop ...... both have different specs but I have the same problems with Chrome on both of them, and it mostly has to do with browsing youtube, which is the one place I spend most of my time online so for that reason I don't use it.

Safari works fine on both my computers, but I just don't like it, and I've used Firefox but just never loaded it onto one of my computers. I guess I'm just oldschool and just used to running with IE, it's never given me any problems, but what sux is that I actually liked the look and feel of Chrome, much better than Safari or Firefox and was excited about using it instead of IE but then I started having problems with youtube, which makes no sense since Google owns youtube, you'd think it'd work better there than on any other browser .... oh well I guess it just wasn't meant to be .... lol

Acesn8's

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Llano county
    Is it possible to upgrade the processor or would that be too costly an endeavor ? if upgraded could I still run the SLI ?

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Is it possible to upgrade the processor or would that be too costly an endeavor ? if upgraded could I still run the SLI ?

With a 10 year old system, it's going to be cheaper to dump everything but the hard drives, IMHO.

At 10 years of age, you may need an addon card to support the drives in a new system.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I've used Chrome as my default browser for about a year, and while it's a good browser for the most part, there are some things that are probably going to drive me back to IE - or at least Firefox. For one thing, I'm getting tired of Chrome messing up forms pages; there are some web sites where the forms are corrupted and sometimes non-functional. Try it in IE and it looks perfect. Sure, you can blame the people who built the site for not making it more friendly to alternate browsers, but which is easier - getting someone to re-write their page or using a different browser?

Top Bottom