• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    It's a fine round, but unless you decide to get a suppressed pistol/SBR that you reload for, there's no reason to invest in it.

If you do, make sure you don't mix 5.56 guns with .300 blk. Its an easy mistake and can be pretty messy
    Lynx Defense

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    It's a fine round, but unless you decide to get a suppressed pistol/SBR that you reload for, there's no reason to invest in it.

If you do, make sure you don't mix 5.56 guns with .300 blk. Its an easy mistake and can be pretty messy
    Another very valid point. I wanted to add this one to my earlier rant, but thought better of it.

Ive always wanted to embrace .300, because it sounds so cool on paper, until you actually do the math.

I guess my ultimate reason for not owning one boils down to the KISS method, and I know my limitations.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    History repeats itself.

Why not build a SBR in 9mm instead? Cheap ammo. 145gr are subsonic and cheap. Ammo is more available. Brass is cheaper. Imagine projectiles are cheaper. Ballistics for defense 9mm have been figured out or proven.

For a rifle- just stay with 5.56. 55-70+ gr projectiles. Plenty different speeds. Price can be where you want it. Ballistics are better than a handgun round, but less than a 7.62 (real 7.62 not 300bo).

There’s no magic bullet. There are proven platforms and proven rounds. Price per round is important. IMO stay in your lane. 22lr is the cheapest, 9mm is second cheapest, 5.56 is a rifle round 3rd cheapest and best for AR15 for a rifle, 7.62 is the most expensive I would buy in the Ar10 platform. I don’t see where 300BO gets in the conversation.

30-30 is great for a lever action and it’s a great rifle. A 7.62x39 is a proven round for the AK and SKS platform. Adding a niche cartridge for an AR sounds cool.

Until the price is in the OK range for me (competing with 7.62x39/9mm/5.56x45) it’s a bastard cartridge for people with plenty of cash. When I say compete I want to define the term as I use it. I mean compete as in price competitive in a way that it can be price comparable low to a 9mm up to priced like a high quality 5.56x45 relative to the quality of ammo.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Personally, While I'm a fan of the round, I wouldn't recommend getting one right now amidst the current ammo shortage. 300 BO is almost impossible to find on the shelves right now. unless you've got all the reloading components for it to start rolling your own.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    What does it do better or more cost effective than other rounds available?
    It's arguably the best cartridge for 200M silhouette competition with single-shot, usually bolt-action pistols. It's certainly the most efficient cartridge that's also trustworthy where the competition range features warped, poorly footed rams on wobbly stands. There's nothing quite like the way a slow-moving 240 grain SMK just seems to reliably push 'em over.

Oh, you mean in an AR-pattern firearm? I have my suspicions but I wouldn't know for sure or from experience. Not in my wheelhouse.

It sure is a great pistol round, though.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    It's really a reloader's and caster's cartridge, IMO. Factory ammunition is more expensive and less available (in normal times) than 5.56mm. It does give you something to do with split neck and dented neck 5.56mm cases, bullets can be cast, but are better powder coated, and mostly pistol powders are used for loading, so if you already load for pistols you probably have a powder that will work. But, obviously, there is some serious cost to setting up to load for it, if you don't have the basics already.

Post-apocalyptic, I think it would be a better choice than, or at least a good adjunct to, 5.56mm. Something to have in the stable...

OldGreyWolf

OldGreyWolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2017
    Big Spring, Tx
    Love mine. I think like any cartridge, you need to know it's limitations and stay within those and also pick the proper bullet for the task. It's a versatile round than excels in subsonic shorter barrels as it was designed for. However, it does quit well in the supersonic form as well. I hunt with my 16" AR and it takes hogs, white tail and muleys down easily within 200 yards. It is more expensive than say 7.62x39, but it's still loads of fun. Would give mine up.

Ibmikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2014
    East Texas
    Love the cartridge...regularly take Texas hogs with one of four rifles I have in BO. This 400# critter fell to one shot from my AAC Handi rifle.
    E307A308-21A4-4F4E-B6BE-B7FF09C2BE85.jpeg

Jaymo888

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I use one for home defense, big fan
    Probably already said but 300 does very well on short barrels, much better than 5.56 in the 7-9” range,
    9” 300 w/ supers has roughly the same energy as a 14.5” 5.56.
    ECD95A11-5BF1-41B3-9444-F7ACC3B51F68.jpeg

Jaymo888

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2021
    Houston, TX
    What does it do better or more cost effective than other rounds available?

Help me understand.

good summary if interested; https://fenixammo.com/pages/the-ballistics-of-5-56x45mm-vs-300-aac-blackout
    cliff notes; a 5.56 under 10" is pretty handicap, and that's where 300 shines
    If seeking a compact package and reduced length from adding a can, it's a pretty awesome round. A 5.5" barrel 300, can still launch a 110gr almost 1800 fps. Night and day to most pistol rounds. Cost effective?.....not much beats a 5.56 for cost.

Also the 110gr Vmax Barnes really turned me on to 300 blk. It's nasty. Not scientific but drops pigs notably more than my 5.56 in 11.5" with 55gr/75gr. Not that 5.56 doesn't get the job done, but most I hunt with have all switched to 5"-9" 300's shooting a 110gr vmax.
    It's hits hard and just more pleasant to shoot out of a short barrel suppressed, less gassy.
    Subsonics are fun to play with too, but I seldom shoot them and can't comment on effectiveness.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Personally, I have no plans to get an SBR or a suppressor nor do I do any hunting so 5.56mm works great for all my needs.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have a .300 Whisper simply because I’m old. Mine is built on a 16” upper by the guy who invited it. I figured it would be nice to honor him and his design.

All my ammunition is handloaded. My gun is accurate enough, but I have never blooded it. It is very quiet.

I also have a sbr 308 that shares the suppressor. Shooting EBR Thumper its a better gun.

IMHO the Blackout was all about marketing.

Top Bottom