• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Any of y'all have any old boots you'd be willing to donate to a good cause? The Coastal Bend Troop support center is trying to get 23 pairs of combat boots (era and condition do not matter) for a display representing the 23 vets that take their own life a day, kind of a raise awareness project. I donated a couple of pairs of mine but still trying to track down 15 or so pairs. If interested let me know and thanks.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I'll ask around Bigun, good post....

Thanks brother, obviously this is something pretty personal to me, I've already lost two friends to PTSD related suicide this year alone. Also this isn't my only avenue of support I posted on facebook and hit up some of my buddies and already have some saying they'll be sending some my way so this might be easier than I thought.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Will check, bet I can find a couple.

Anything helps, as of yesterday she said she still needed 17 pairs and I scrounged up two pairs so that leaves it at 15. I'll keep the thread updated as I know more info.

Also any ideas for a box like display? She was asking me about this as opposed to setting them on the ground and cardboard is out in case it gets a little wet so they don't droop down. I threw out the offer to build some out of wood but she countered saying though she appreciated it it would have to be easy to haul around in her van and not to heavy because most of the volunteers are older ladies. I was thinking about trying to figure out a tapered kind of design with no bottom so they could be stacked but open to any suggestions.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    How soon do the boots need to be there?

No specific time frame, this is going to be a continuous display set up at different times in different venues around the local community not a one time deal. Which is why they're asking that the boots be donated and not loaned.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Appreciate the offer but I'm talking more like this to get them up off the ground is all

ruhahute.jpg

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Without the rifle for each one even though that would be awesome. On that subject though I am trying to track down an M16/M4/AR replica to build a display like the one above but damn they're pricy so I'm looking into the airsoft market to find something that resembles one close enough and can accept a bayonet. If I was going to have constant eyes on I would use one of my AR's like in the above picture but since that won't always be the case I'm exploring options.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    gotcha, holler at me if you need any kind of donations ($$$) be honored to help out

I'll get the address and post it up, they're always accepting donations (monetary or not). They are a volunteer run organization that runs strictly on donations (they do have the proper non profit licensing or whatever it is) and they primarily send out many care packages to troops overseas, I got two from them while I was there which is how I found out about them. They also help out vets in the local community whenever they can. So if you donate things for packages (jerky, hygiene gear, hand written notes, anything) they will also gladly accept that. They have a good deal going in with the local HEB which donates time, money, and supplies regularly.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'll dig around and see if I've got any old boots laying around.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Bumping this up, we might have gotten enough but not 100%, got a few buddies sending some my way. They're gonna set it up tomorrow with what they have, if I'm able to I'll try and snap a couple pictures.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've really been meaning to dig through my old footlocker. Works just been a mess.

Keep us posted,may have time to dig around tomorrow evening.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    If I understood right they physically have 13 out of the 23 pairs needed, I know for a fact I've got 3 pairs in the mail with the promise from some other people just don't know exactly how many. So going off of what I know right now we need 7 more pairs so we'll see what comes in the mail.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Might be able to talk to some of the GIs that come in the store and get you some. Let me know how many you need. If they will do more than one display, enough boots for multiple displays?

from a non-recovering coffeeholic

Top Bottom