• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbrthenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    NRH
    Went down to Academy yesterday and picked up my first shotgun as a present to myself. It's a Mossberg Maverick Model 88. Got it for $185! Got a sight, shell holder and a recoil reduction LimbSaver too. Went down to Alpine today to shoot it and was really happy with the performance. I had never shot a shotgun before and didn't know what to expect with the recoil. My shoulder is a little sore, but overall, it was fun! Went back by Academy when I was done and picked up some Winchester PDX for home defense.

mossy.jpg

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    You just made a smart move. I got one of these about 2 years ago and has been nothing but perfect. Zero malfunctions with slugs, buckshot and birdshot. The recoil pad on it is pretty damn hard and was going to replace it but then it kind of grew on me. Plus you can break someones jaw with if you don't want to shoot him. Got a cheap allen 5 shell holder on it and a tri rail on the front.
    View attachment 6192 View attachment 6193

rbrthenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    NRH
    I am really excited to add some more accessories to it. What do you use the rail for and where did you get it from? I'm thinking I'll add a flashlight and a side saddle.

rifletex91

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Houston
    You can find them on ebay or amazon for around 25$. They are called laserlyte or something like that. I was using it for a cheap little led flashlight but the flashlight couldn't handle the recoil. I actually thought it was going to be a cheap rail because I bought some before and they turned out to be cheap plastic crap. But this one is made of aircraft aluminum and is a good buy. I am going to buy a quality light for it as soon as I find one that suits my needs. But don't get too excited mounting accessories then you will end up buying some stuff you really don't need like I did. The only things that I will continue to do with mine is find a light for the rail and get a side shell holder. I did put a ATI 6 position ar-15 style stock on it and bought some spacers in order for me to get a good alignment with the bead. But after a trip to the range I took it off and left it off. I just didn't like the feel of the stock, and it was kinda flimsy. Although it did look kinda tacticool, I had no real practical use for it. Have fun customizing your shotgun, it will bring you many years of joy.....and BANG!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Here's the light mount, IMO. Elzetta ZSM Tacitcal Shotgun Flashlight Mount FAQ Simple, strong, inexpensive.

Also, if you want to tame some of that recoil a little more, look into a Knoxx stock. The Spec-Ops is a little high to use the bead (but you can train around it pretty easily) and comfortable to use, or you can go with the Comp Stock which is just s standard-looking stock. They turn that kick into a push. First day I had my 870 together, I put about 30 rounds of buckshot and slugs through it and hardly felt like I'd shot anything - Spec Ops stock for me.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Nice shotgun brother. Can't wait to join the shotgun club. Like you - plan on buying the right stock, shell holder, and light holder/light. Don't need lasers, rings, and lightning bolts on the shottie - it's there simply to kill zombies who make it in the windows and past the dogs. Good luck with it!

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I'll take that over a handgun any day!
    You can also get a magazine tube extender for the thing form Brownells.
    I have seen some tube caps that have lazers in them to, but I just dont like lazers.
    The flashlight addition would be nice.
    The only thing your missing is semiauto. I like both!

rbrthenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    NRH
    Here's the light mount, IMO. Elzetta ZSM Tacitcal Shotgun Flashlight Mount FAQ Simple, strong, inexpensive.

I am amazed at how cheap the accessories are for shotguns! I have had only pistols and have bought all kinds of accessories and it always seems like they are so expensive. I bought the recoil reduction stock slip on, a 5 shell slip-on holder, a front sight, a box of PDX home defense and 3 boxes of Winchester lead shot for $80 at Academy. I'm definitely getting that flashlight and I'm looking into that recoil reduction stock. I took it to the range yesterday and today my shoulder definitely let me know that I had shot it. Any tips to reduce the recoil using the standard stock?

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I am amazed at how cheap the accessories are for shotguns! I have had only pistols and have bought all kinds of accessories and it always seems like they are so expensive. I bought the recoil reduction stock slip on, a 5 shell slip-on holder, a front sight, a box of PDX home defense and 3 boxes of Winchester lead shot for $80 at Academy. I'm definitely getting that flashlight and I'm looking into that recoil reduction stock. I took it to the range yesterday and today my shoulder definitely let me know that I had shot it. Any tips to reduce the recoil using the standard stock?

Is your slip on a "limbsaver" brand rubber slip on? I bought one at Wally World for $19 and I don't bruise anymore. I was fine without the Limbsaver for birdshot, but for slugs and 00 buck I was in serious pain after only a few rounds. The Limbsaver changed all of that and I was able to shoot to my hearts content with nothing more than a muscle cramp (after 100 rounds).

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    You can also get a magazine tube extender for the thing form Brownells.
    You can't use an extension tube due to the way the barrel mounts to the tube. You can get a mossberg 20" barrel and tube and put on the gun, however.

You made a good choice with the 88. Cheap, reliable, and made in Texas

rbrthenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2010
    NRH
    My slip on is a Limbsaver. It didn't really hurt but it left what I would describe as a bruise-feel, but with no visible markings. I shot with the limbsaver and pushed it in really tight. I had read somewhere that the placement of your feet could help absorb the recoil somewhat.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    My slip on is a Limbsaver. It didn't really hurt but it left what I would describe as a bruise-feel, but with no visible markings. I shot with the limbsaver and pushed it in really tight. I had read somewhere that the placement of your feet could help absorb the recoil somewhat.

hah. you know if i didn't already know what you were talking about i might have blushed.

Top Bottom