• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJjerry

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 5, 2019
    Magnolia, tx
    Glad you caught it Sarge, wish you good luck with its removal.

I was checked last year, first time, and the DR. found 5 spots she did not like. Of them 4 were basil cell cancer and the 5th was melanoma, a spot on my nose that looked like a freckle and had been there for years. I told her to remove them since at my age I no longer had a bit of vanity, my chasing days long gone. (thought, for a minute, it might even look cool if I had a bad ass scar with stitch marks through it)

Turns out the nose melanoma removal was successful and you can barely tell the scar anyway.
    Going again soon for a checkup. I don't fool around with self treatment in this area, melanoma is much more likely to "get one" than any chance of getting shot in a 7-11 store or so.

Basil Cell will not likely kill one, but I can't tell the difference. There is an Image-Guided SRT ,compared to Mohs surgical method if you don't like a knife wielding Mohs doctor and a Radiotherapy non-surgical method. Good luck, get checked.
    Gun Zone Deals

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Glad you caught it Sarge, wish you good luck with its removal.

I was checked last year, first time, and the DR. found 5 spots she did not like. Of them 4 were basil cell cancer and the 5th was melanoma, a spot on my nose that looked like a freckle and had been there for years. I told her to remove them since at my age I no longer had a bit of vanity, my chasing days long gone. (thought, for a minute, it might even look cool if I had a bad ass scar with stitch marks through it)

Turns out the nose melanoma removal was successful and you can barely tell the scar anyway.
    Going again soon for a checkup. I don't fool around with self treatment in this area, melanoma is much more likely to "get one" than any chance of getting shot in a 7-11 store or so.

Basil Cell will not likely kill one, but I can't tell the difference. There is an Image-Guided SRT ,compared to Mohs surgical method if you don't like a knife wielding Mohs doctor and a Radiotherapy non-surgical method. Good luck, get checked.
    <>

Good for you !

As many of us are Elders and have spent lives outoors, we are high-risk for several serious skin cancers.

I recommend everyone in this category getting an annual Dermatology exam, wether one has a problem or not.

Most non-melanoma skin cancers are easily treated IF caught eariy.

But if ignored, can be devastating. In my role as Neuro-Head & Neck diagnostician, I see what happens to folks who ignore facial skin cancers. They can keep going through bone into brain & eye.

Historically, basal cell skin cancer was known as ‘’rodent ulcer’’, b/c they resembled the damages as if a rat had eaten part of the person’s face.

I was a lifeguard & offshore fisher long b/f ‘’sunscreens’’, so I’ve had several of those removed. Farmers, sailors, surfers, & cattlemen are also at high risk.

Good Luck

leVieux

<>

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    That spot on my nose was I thought a pimple, wouldn't go away. Biopsy was done and that's when I was told it needed MOHS procedure. Dr told me it could have been dormant for 50 years. I have three spots I need checked later this month, have an appointment.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Melanoma is no joke. I had a close call a few years ago. I need to go for a check up soon myself.

I was installing a battery in a Porche, talking to the customer, when he stopped and says "Hey, I don't mean to scare you, but you need to get that spot on your ear checked out yesterday. I'm a doctor, and one of my med school class mates died from melanoma that wasn't found in time, in medical school. Here's my personal dermatologist's card, make an appointment now."

So I did, and the initial biopsy came back pre-cancerous melanoma, so they flayed off more of my ear, second biopsy came back that they got it all. Damn nerve wracking period, that was for sure. I thought I may wind up dying at 36 because of it.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I have permission in writing (texts) from two long time friends to share these pics, they want folks to see what can happen. They go a few times each year for frozen ones but never to this extent. He had no indication he could see of his occurring below the skin. She had a tiny spot that appeared on her nose she could see and thought nothing of it. I also have spots on face but thankfully only freckles that appear. The thing is get check-ups and if you're new to this, find a dermatologist like yesterday. Your primary doc may spot a mole or something and still refer you to a dermatologist.

As bad as these skin surgeries look, they are completely scar free after a few months. His spot was very close to the eyelid and could have entered his eye. Neither were Melanoma though but could still eat up skin if left ignored. Do not think that beginning sun screen tomorrow you'll prevent this. You prolly already have this lurking below the skin...but may prevent any new ones.

Attachments

• IMG_6446.JPEG
      IMG_6446.JPEG
      50.9 KB · Views: 18
    • IMG_6069(1).JPEG
      IMG_6069(1).JPEG
      277.4 KB · Views: 17

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I've always had pre-cancer stuff sprayed (frozen) on my face and head each year. Stings for a few seconds then stops. Last week she found a spot on back of my right arm she didn't like so took a biopsy. I never saw it before but never looked. It came back Melanoma, that bad shit. No spraying gonna get rid of that. Gotta go in next week to have even more cut out to see how far it's progressed and already close to lymph nodes. My advice to all is to get a check each year and at least have someone around your house check your back, back of legs, neck, butt, and even between your toes and feet. And you do the same for them. This stuff is deadly if it gets into lymph nodes and travels to organs. And it doesn't all look like the pic I'm enclosing here. Any suspicions, make an app't to clear it up.
    So sorry, I just went to my dermatologist on Monday for a checkup and had some precancerous areas sprayed. My wife is a retired RN she always checks me out and I go for a yearly check to the skin doctor. Hope your surgery goes well.

x12aesq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2009
    On US 77 kind of north of I-10
    My old brigade commander died from that. He relied on the AMEDD, and of course, they missed a diagnosis one year, and of course, the next year it was too late. I go to a dermatologist once a year (private, I pay my own, not trusting our benevolent government).

So far, so good; but this is one you can catch and prevent. Don't fail to catch it.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Melanoma survivor; don’t FA or you’ll FO. If you’re routinely getting stuff froze off, talk to your derm about efudex. It’s a DIY topical chemo that attacks dividing cells (root of cancer).

Applied 2x daily for 2-4 weeks followed by 2-4 weeks of recovery. First time is worst time because you’re dealing with a lifetime of damage. After that you can do the application once every other year or so and it’s way less problematic.
    It burns like hell towards the end of the application I was glad to get it over

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Wife had a melanoma on her arm, surgery involved taking part of the muscle to get it all. Left her with a pretty cool, pretty long scar, but the good news is she's been good since. She's been lifting to not only recover the strength, but add. Shifted her focus away from ultra distance running for a while, curious to see where her balance will be. I think she misses the 100km races, but the Dr. was adamant about hiding from the sun.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Referencing my post #1, I had the Melanoma removed today from rear of right arm. She said it was only in the very top layer of skin and was spreading out versus down, a great thing at this early point. Is always, always so important to catch cancer in its early stages. She cut out a chunk and sent it for another biopsy but she feels confident she got it all. Don't wait until it travels to lymph nodes and organs and kills you.

Attachments

• IMG_6353.JPEG
      IMG_6353.JPEG
      226.4 KB · Views: 14

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Referencing my post #1, I had the Melanoma removed today from rear of right arm. She said it was only in the very top layer of skin and was spreading out versus down, a great thing at this early point. Is always, always so important to catch cancer in its early stages. She cut out a chunk and sent it for another biopsy but she feels confident she got it all. Don't wait until it travels to lymph nodes and organs and kills you.
    Absolutely glad you got it removed.

Top Bottom