TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow

A question for the LEO's. Do your patrol vehicles have armored doors or other added protection that provide cover for situations like this?

Most probably don't for anything like rifle rounds. It's incredibly expensive to armor a regular vehicle like a crown vic. Lots of welding, lots of steel, several hundred to several thousand pounds heavier.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Wow

A question for the LEO's. Do your patrol vehicles have armored doors or other added protection that provide cover for situations like this?

Negative...Ive heard a few places did, but costs always become an issue... Some places don't even buy their officers bullet proof vests..

I remember being taught to roll the windows down so when you are hunkered behind the doors, the window helps deflect the rounds. The car is known as the coffin as it is a very dangerous place to be. These guys/gals saw that first hand.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The BG must have been highly pissed off about something. Anyone know how many times he was hit? I suspect it was many wounds. It suggests that a 9mm or .40 cal doesn't have the oats for that kind of confrontation. He would have never kept going with .45acp rounds in him.

I have absolutely NO problem with the LEO's trashing this nut. For our own CHL training, however, you might consider a cease fire after he is down and motionless. For people like you and me, Grand Juries will not approve of the extra rounds that he absorbed after he was down.

Flash

Last edited:

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    To me, as long as he had his weapon in his hands after already trying to kill a LEO, anything goes. As long as he is a threat to take away a cops right to go home and hug his children and kiss his wife goodnight, he is nothing but a mass of organic matter that has forfeited its right to exist as a living free entity on this planet.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Negative...Ive heard a few places did, but costs always become an issue... Some places don't even buy their officers bullet proof vests..

PLEASE remember that the NRA has vest programs - and that the Friends of NRA has a grant program for things such as that! Go to the Friends website and look at the "apply for a grant" drop-down. If you can't figure it out, drop me a line and I'll be MORE than happy to help! This is exactly the kind of thing we raise the $$$ for!!!!

bwalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    N/W Houston
    To me, as long as he had his weapon in his hands after already trying to kill a LEO, anything goes. As long as he is a threat to take away a cops right to go home and hug his children and kiss his wife goodnight, he is nothing but a mass of organic matter that has forfeited its right to exist as a living free entity on this planet.

Ditto.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The BG must have been highly pissed off about something. Anyone know how many times he was hit? I suspect it was many wounds. It suggests that a 9mm or .40 cal doesn't have the oats for that kind of confrontation. He would have never kept going with .45acp rounds in him.

I have absolutely NO problem with the LEO's trashing this nut. For our own CHL training, however, you might consider a cease fire after he is down and motionless. For people like you and me, Grand Juries will not approve of the extra rounds that he absorbed after he was down.

Flash

I saw a report that the autopsy showed 19 shots, including several to the upper thoracic and head I believe.

There are some documented LE shootings out there of people taking a dozen or few dozen .45acp slugs and still managing to fight. Pistol rounds are anemic. I remember seeing a documented case of multiple officers shooting an armed guy 35 times, all of them armed with .45acp guns (forget which guns). Only the last few shots put him down.

Officer Jared Reston, formerly of a Florida police agency, took a first round hit to his jaw/chin with .45acp 230gr ball, and took 7 other shots, several of which missed the vest and hit his limbs, and I think one penetrated the vest and hit his torso. He stayed conscious, stayed in the fight, ran his Glock one handed, shot the guy multiple times, then as the guy crumpled over on top of him he put his gun to the attackers head and shot him 3 times in the head to end the fight. Pretty decisive. ;) I love .45acp as much as any red-blooded American should, but it is unfortunately not the death ray that people make it out to be.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    A guy I knew in high school took a .45 at close range in his chest. His sternum deflected it down toward his liver. He lost most of his liver, but I hear he is doing OK now. There isn't much short of a military transport that will even slow down a rifle round.

I hope the police in the video have a full recovery.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I saw a report that the autopsy showed 19 shots, including several to the upper thoracic and head I believe.

17 of those seemed to come toward the end when he dumped his whole glock mag into the guy while he was on his knees, and even kept going when the guy was laying on the floor. Good on him to make sure he was dead 12-13 times after he fell to the ground haha

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    17 of those seemed to come toward the end when he dumped his whole glock mag into the guy while he was on his knees, and even kept going when the guy was laying on the floor. Good on him to make sure he was dead 12-13 times after he fell to the ground haha

Yep. At least that officer decisively ended it, and left no mistake that guy was NOT coming back into the fight. That guy forfeited his life once he threw the door open and came out firing.

Guy even fired the AK one-handed, after being hit, once or twice before dropping to a knee. WTF. ;)

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Yep. At least that officer decisively ended it, and left no mistake that guy was NOT coming back into the fight. That guy forfeited his life once he threw the door open and came out firing.

Guy even fired the AK one-handed, after being hit, once or twice before dropping to a knee. WTF. ;)

The guy had a serious death wish.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page, they found an assortment of items in his car that make him look like a Hollywood thug wannabe:

Prosecutor: Middlefield police officers acted in self-defense in fatal shooting of James Gilkerson

"A search of his car and the trunk revealed multiple loaded magazines and loads of ammunition, ski masks and gloves, military style ammo cans, a scoped .22 caliber rifle, numerous instructional DVDs and books such as "Kitchen Approved Plastic Explosives," "Advance Close-Range Gunfighting," "Homemade Detonators," and many others."

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013

Flash

It was nothing to do with trashing this nut as you say. It was auto pilot and firing at that point until the threat was stopped. This is common in shootings. I know I lost track of rounds I fired during a OIS.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom