• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Our local gun shop is selling the "Bug A Salt" salt gun and is sponsoring a fun contest using the guns. It's on the honor system but we have fun doing it and anything that limits the bug population is OK in my book!

I keep a score card taped to my Bug A Salt gun.

The Bug A Salt gun actually shoots table salt and it will drop a Fly within three feet. Tests on aluminum foil suggest that the salt projectiles have a pretty good close range punch, a good pattern at 3 feet and will reach out farther than that. The gun will drop a Fly like a sack of Taters! Spiders, roaches, beetles also fall prey to the salt gun.

The gun shop sells their Bug A Salt guns for $49, but I searched around and found a better price online.
    http://www.kotulas.com/deals/bugasa...YBiaCag&pcrid=5888255441&mtype=e&devicetype=c

Noise is about the level of a BB gun and ammo is dirt cheap (table salt)........ Snicker.

When Jake and I go outside in the front of our house, he goes potty and I stand guard for insects.

It's great fun, costs little and is very safe. Try it....the Bug A Salt gun is a gas!

Flash
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've asked for one for Father's Day. The flies are really starting to annoy me. Cabelas has them for the same price.

GunDok

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2016
    Texas
    Had great fun with one of these on a friends porch a few weeks back. they don't work too good on your Texas may bugs though.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Good question about the sand although I'm still using the same tablespoon of salt in my Bug A Salt.

Four things that I like about the product are the fact that the gun doesn't look like a gun and they made that real obvious. The red muzzle tip on the gun is a good clue.

Second, my left hand holds the rifle as I would operate a pump shotgun. Pull straight back and it's ready to go!

Third, the "safety" is applied automatically and must be manually released for each shot.

Last, there is a red cocking indicator that extends into your field of view when it's ready to fire. I'm not certain if it's intended to be a rear sight, too.

The Bug A Salt is plastic but it's not fragile. The gun is pretty sturdy!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Fathers Day can't get here soon enough. Flies were driving me mad over the weekend.

In contrast, the Chambers County Skeeter sprayer came by on Friday and it tore up the winged insect population. Targets are few and far between, here. The ones that I nailed showed up in my trash trailer looking for a free meal and they got a load of salt for their trouble.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I went over to the local gun shop on Saturday. Karen had a big mountain of those Bug A Salt rifles in stock when I got mine. Those babies are almost all gone. She has TWO left!

Flash

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Well I got mine. And I've been plastering flies like crazy. I find I need to be around 1 ft to kill them with 1 shot. But, maybe the Pasture flies up here in Frisco are bigger than those gulf flies down in Houston.

Anyway, I love it. Makes for an easier clean up compared to the fly swatter.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I mowed and trimmed my 1/2 acre yard yesterday and worked up a healthy sweat. When I finished, I parked the mower in the shade and enjoyed the nice, cool breeze from the Bay. Retired people can do that. We just take a break and quit work until we feel like moving.

Apparently, I was smelling a bit "ripe" because I had flies swirling all around me. "Fine, you bastards. I'll be right back." I got the Bug A Salt gun and started tearing them up! I shot them off of my jeans pant legs and even off of my shoe. Some landed on the front of the mower and I nailed them, too! I was really tired but still stayed out there to blast flies for almost a full hour! I got pretty close to one of them and when the gun fired, all that was left was some black mush.

Try using aluminum foil to "pattern" your Bug a Salt gun.

OH BOY! Great fun!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In patterning my rifle, I found that the shot pattern is a bit low at 2 feet. Aim just above the fly and you'll bust him. Maybe I'll get tired of my Bug a Salt rifle some day, but it sure hasn't happened yet!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Went to the Gun Shop again, yesterday. Karen ordered 49 more Bug A Salt rifles! They sold well and very quickly from the last order so it seems to be a fun trend! Maybe, we'll even reduce the fly population. That has to be good.

Another good sign is that not a single one of the rifles has broken or malfunctioned. Advertisements suggest a very good limited lifetime warranty but I haven't uncovered any details, yet. I'll give the manufacturer a call.

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I called Bug A Salt today and in a rather long conversation, got some really interesting information!

Their number is 310-392-3288

Most of my questions centered around the vague "Lifetime Warranty."

Here's the straight dope on the warranty:
    Within 90 days, they give you a new gun if yours goes bust.
    At anytime after the 90 days, they will either exchange the broken one for a refurbished rifle or a 50% off deal on a new rifle. There is no time limit on this coverage! (Not bad, huh?)

Their factory direct price is $39.95. Places like Kotulas fold in the shipping charges in the price of $44.95 and sell it with "free shipping."

Our local gun shop just ordered a big batch (48 or 49) of the Bug A Salt rifles.

In all, it's a great product, fun to use and with a terrific warranty.

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I put o piece of adhesive label on my "Bug a Salt" rifle and, like a gunfighter, kept a tally of the victims to that rifle. Our county has a vigorous spraying policy for mosquitoes and it also kills flies, but occasionally a wanderer comes calling. Here's the total:

Flies...........27
    Wasps......... 3
    Spiders........11

The main pattern shoots a bit low on my gun. Using the sights, aiming a bit above the bug at 3 feet will put the pattern full on the target. Use aluminum foil to pattern your gun.

I'm going to bring my rifle to the gun shop today to record my totals. I'm pretty well at the top of the heap!

Flash

Top Bottom