• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG-SOG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    DFW
    Saw a gsg-5 for the first time on youtube while looking for ideas for a 22 LR (tacticool). Seems like there are/were two issues: a) lawsuit by H&K against GSG for copying H&Ks MP5, plus b) something about the barrel shroud being considered a suppressor.

And by legal I mean, not requiring a special license (class III or whatever???)

Any recommendations for other 22 LR of this type? Maybe the Sig 522?

Thanks.
    Guns International

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    might be a better thread for the rimfire section,

but, a 10/22 with a tacticool stock would be a good solution.

i have been looking at getting the archangel tactical stock for my remington 597.

they look super awesome.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    the GSG-5 was redesigned to meet the settlement agreement of the HK lawsuit. The issue with the design of the "barrel shroud" was that the barrel, on some models,could be modified making the faux suppressor into a real one. The shroud has been redesigned to prevent this and the previous models recalled by the manufacturer/importer.

Still legal without any special tax stamps or additional requirements.

Joat

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Saw one at the Belton show yesterday (took the "silencer" off to show my son it was just a barrel shroud, it just screws off to reveal the barrel underneath), and there's been a few on TGT over the past few weeks. They seem to be running around $400, which is a bit much for a .22 but they are solidly built and very tacti-cool! My son wants one (he's 12) but I just dropped $375 on a SKS-M so I was gun poor at the moment. Still, I might pick one up one day if the price is right...

Cheers! M2

Peter M. Eick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Houston
    I have seen them around in Houston. I know when I got mine, I quickly got 6 mags. You will burn ammo in it. Lot of fun to shoot with a red dot sight, so ammo goes quickly.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Saw one at the Belton show yesterday (took the "silencer" off to show my son it was just a barrel shroud, it just screws off to reveal the barrel underneath), and there's been a few on TGT over the past few weeks. They seem to be running around $400, which is a bit much for a .22 but they are solidly built and very tacti-cool! My son wants one (he's 12) but I just dropped $375 on a SKS-M so I was gun poor at the moment. Still, I might pick one up one day if the price is right...

Cheers! M2

Major I can tell you I have played with 2 of them.. .the are cool and fun.. but it jams a lot.. and its like an AR when a jam pops up you have to clear it by doing multiple steps.. Sometimes shitty 22 ammo wont fire the first hit, then bad ejectors leave it in the chamber.. chamber gets shut.. the next trigger pull and bam it fires... Basically my point is that unless your son is very familiar with these types of failures I see a pretty big safety hazard even under supervision. NOT trying to tell you your business but i just don't even like grown ups that don't know guns to try and fix jams and make a rife safe.. more or less young adults/children.

Just my two cents.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually, even at 12 (he'll be 13 next week), he knows his stuff when it comes to firearms. Well, at least the safety aspects of them.

I see them on TGT all the time but I won't be dropping $400-500 for a .22LR. I am waiting for the new Savage Edge .308 to come out!

Cheers! M2

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I see them on TGT all the time but I won't be dropping $400-500 for a .22LR.
    AIM has them for $370. Cheapest price I've seen on the GSGs. They are a lot of fun and worth the extra expense, but if you want a great semi auto .22 for a cheap price the 10/22 is still the way to go. As for jams and failures... I haven't had any more issues with mine than any other .22, and since the charging handle is on the forward left side its easy to rack and clear without even altering your shooting position.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    AIM has them for $370. Cheapest price I've seen on the GSGs. They are a lot of fun and worth the extra expense, but if you want a great semi auto .22 for a cheap price the 10/22 is still the way to go. As for jams and failures... I haven't had any more issues with mine than any other .22, and since the charging handle is on the forward left side its easy to rack and clear without even altering your shooting position.

AIM?, NM I found it, the one they have for sale is the gsg-522. for what its worth I got a Sig 522 for my B-day (I have the best gf ever) and its been awesome so far.

Top Bottom