GSG-5 Magazines

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by 9x19, Mar 15, 2009.

1. 9x19

9x19 Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    After I got my GSG5 carbine, a good friend who works in a gun-shop on the coast sent me a pair of 15 round mags.

Being the curious sort, I wondered why GSG used the same mag body for both the 15 and 22 round mags.

Last night I decided to see if the 15 round mags could easily become 22 round mags. The short answer: Oh, yeah!

GSG simply installed a block in the bottom of the mag and glued a plate to either side. The plates are only glued to the spacer though and not the sides of the mag.

I took off the floor plate, drilled the spacer in the front half (it's got a bow-tie profile from the bottom), which broke the glue and made removing the plates a "snap". Removing the plates let the spacer fall out the bottom. The spring seems the same as the ones in my 22 round mags, but I stretched them just a bit to be safe.

After the “fix”, they run just fine.

15 round magazine
    [​IMG]

Drilled block & magazine (now 22 rounds)
    [​IMG]

Side plate and block on mag to show installed positions
    [​IMG]

Sideplates and block, once removed (shown attached for clarity)
    [​IMG]

2. stockFD3S

stockFD3S Active Member

Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    Have you encountered any issues with rapid fire?

3. Madhouse

Madhouse Active Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I didn't even know there was a 15-round GSG mag. All mine are 22-round, never seen the other...

4. 9x19

9x19 Active Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I've not had any issues since converting them... they even make 10 round mags for certain states, and they are the same external size!

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Where have you had the best luck for gsg-5 accessories?