• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    1) I can win any debate with any one on any subject. In fact, don't even tell me the subject, I will give you 6 mos to study and a $1000 sez I win...want PROOF? Obama got elected to a second term, he wins based upon 2 things: A) He LIES, B) His base believes him!

2) What you have to realize is that WD did in fact win and she won for all the reasons why stated in ALL the posts above. When you deny the truth the only other option is to believe the lie.

You cannot win against the "People of the Lie". When a govt does it they call it: "Propaganda" Wendy Davis, Harry Reid, Obama and a bevy of news commentators. Wendy won, she just did not win by our standards, but to her supporters she cleaned Abbotts clock...

NOT the same America I grew up in...

I didn't see it that way, great post.

Dang man I'm 70 and ugly still I could not "hit it" I find the woman repulsive.

View attachment 30310 :laughing:
    Target Sports

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    so debate aside, what about the latest attack ad I started to hear this weekend about Abbot, implying he caved to a indirect "1/4 MM" donation and dropped a hospital libel suit? apologies up front if I don't make any sense. I heard this ad several times this weekend.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Seen it. Haven't looked in to it much.

I believe it is probably just some twisted "facts", but still tend to try and find out what the root is.

I just watched the debate on YouTube. Found Davis to sound extremely rehearsed, kinda like the voice on an old training video.

Those that think she won are pretty much irrelevant because they would vote for her regardless of the outcome.

The debates are for the voters who haven't decided for some reason. Those who pay little attention until the last minute. They exist on both sides and they are the ones that candidates are after.

Obama didn't win because he lied on debates, he won because he promised money and conservatives didn't line up behind (wow, just had his name and it's gone) what's his name.

I wouldn't say Davis got hammered if I look from the view of someone who doesn't pay attention, but she didn't come across as likable, comfortable, or fully human. She didn't win any new votes.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I'm going to be really cold for a second. I like Abbott so don't beat up on me, I'm talking about the reality of elections and popularity contests in general.

Abbott being in a wheelchair will already have a perception of being weak. That's just how it is. I think he compensates for it just fine but it's an automatic negative for him in the campaign. For Davis, it is an advantage.

Unless she beats up on him. Even without the tone-deaf "Stand with Wendy" campaign message, if she comes across bullying she will look bad because she's attacking someone in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is a mark in HER favor, not his. Coming across overly aggressive makes her look bad. Going negative early and aggressively is BAD for her. In general, negative campaign ads work unless you go overboard. David Dewhurst didn't learn his lesson and pulled that trick twice. How did his campaigns work out again?

Davis is fighting an uphill battle and while I agree with Ole Cowboy's assessment of the debates, it is also correct that she didn't win any new votes with this. She needed to win over undecideds but she keeps doubling down on preaching to her base.

I'm not complaining, Texas is worse off for her. However, she is not running a smart campaign. The race is an uphill battle for her but winnable. She's not gaining traction in the polls because she's not playing it smart. My wife is not a hardcore conservative at all and is very squishy on a lot of issues. She thinks the Davis attack ads are over-the-top and make Davis look bad. Not Abbott. I'm more right leaning but I agree on an objective level. They are extremely cynical with their "facts" and I think the level of cynicism around Davis' entire campaign is pretty bald-faced.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Didn't even watch. For me it's between Kathy Glass and Abbott. Abbott's probably gonna get my vote. He's close enough on the issues and he can actually get stuff done.

Wendy Davis is a frickin joke.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I'm going to be really cold for a second. I like Abbott so don't beat up on me, I'm talking about the reality of elections and popularity contests in general.

Abbott being in a wheelchair will already have a perception of being weak. That's just how it is. I think he compensates for it just fine but it's an automatic negative for him in the campaign. For Davis, it is an advantage.

Unless she beats up on him. Even without the tone-deaf "Stand with Wendy" campaign message, if she comes across bullying she will look bad because she's attacking someone in a wheelchair. The wheelchair is a mark in HER favor, not his. Coming across overly aggressive makes her look bad. Going negative early and aggressively is BAD for her. In general, negative campaign ads work unless you go overboard. David Dewhurst didn't learn his lesson and pulled that trick twice. How did his campaigns work out again?

Davis is fighting an uphill battle and while I agree with Ole Cowboy's assessment of the debates, it is also correct that she didn't win any new votes with this. She needed to win over undecideds but she keeps doubling down on preaching to her base.

I'm not complaining, Texas is worse off for her. However, she is not running a smart campaign. The race is an uphill battle for her but winnable. She's not gaining traction in the polls because she's not playing it smart. My wife is not a hardcore conservative at all and is very squishy on a lot of issues. She thinks the Davis attack ads are over-the-top and make Davis look bad. Not Abbott. I'm more right leaning but I agree on an objective level. They are extremely cynical with their "facts" and I think the level of cynicism around Davis' entire campaign is pretty bald-faced.

Davis MIGHT be running for a position in the Federal Govt, note, Julian Castro went from Mayor of SA to a Cabinet position. (I see him as a STRONG VP contender on either a Hillary or Eliz Warren ticket). If either of those 2 gals gets in, the the wave of high level appointees will be mostly women and she is appealing to Warren and Clinton in her talk and thinking...

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    Davis MIGHT be running for a position in the Federal Govt, note, Julian Castro went from Mayor of SA to a Cabinet position. (I see him as a STRONG VP contender on either a Hillary or Eliz Warren ticket). If either of those 2 gals gets in, the the wave of high level appointees will be mostly women and she is appealing to Warren and Clinton in her talk and thinking...

Well, hell. I consider myself fairly savvy in the way of politics and hadn't even thought of that. You're right. Even if she doesn't win she'll probably still get a "promotion" in a political sense. She'd be joining a sinking ship, but that's not my problem.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

You could say being a woman is just as much as a negative to some voters as well? Including woman voters.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    You could say being a woman is just as much as a negative to some voters as well? Including woman voters.

Not as much as it used to be. For Dems it is a plus. Anything that is considered a minority.

I'm going to offend some of my friends but Dems seem less interested in merit and results and seem to be all about attributes. Dallas County elected Lupe Valdez because she was a Hispanic Female Lesbian. Her credentials were hardly ever brought up in the campaign by her supporters. They were so excited by WHAT she was they never thought about WHO she was.

Really pissed me off because Margo Frasier was Sheriff in Travis County when I was there and while she wasn't Hispanic she was female and openly lesbian. Damn good Sheriff and never made a fuss about WHAT she was. She wanted to be a good Sheriff and replaced a real scuzzbucket.

Despite all the cries of racism I really haven't met that many Republicans who care about gender or race. Of course, just try running for office as a Mormon...

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Not as much as it used to be. For Dems it is a plus. Anything that is considered a minority.

I'm going to offend some of my friends but Dems seem less interested in merit and results and seem to be all about attributes. Dallas County elected Lupe Valdez because she was a Hispanic Female Lesbian. Her credentials were hardly ever brought up in the campaign by her supporters. They were so excited by WHAT she was they never thought about WHO she was.

Really pissed me off because Margo Frasier was Sheriff in Travis County when I was there and while she wasn't Hispanic she was female and openly lesbian. Damn good Sheriff and never made a fuss about WHAT she was. She wanted to be a good Sheriff and replaced a real scuzzbucket.

Despite all the cries of racism I really haven't met that many Republicans who care about gender or race. Of course, just try running for office as a Mormon...

Dems check off boxes to see if you are qualified or not:

Color of skin: +++ points for any federal minority group. White is a minus

Religion: Islam and Atheist is big +++ Christian minus

Education: +++ for Harvard and other Ivy leagues. 0 points for state school and minus for religious or military schools

SEX: GBLT +++++ Straight male, do not bother to apply

Experience: Social worker, community organizer, soft skills ++++ Hard degrees: Engineering, Business etc 0 points. Military do not apply

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom