• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chris

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Houston
    Hi guys, I have one spot on my Colt that is absolutely driving me insane. Can you guys take a look and tell me what options I have? I just want to cover them with something.

The one on the Barrel is the one that bugs me the most, the front of the gun one I can live with.

What are my options guys?!

Thanks,
    Chris
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited by a moderator:

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I used Perma Blue (liquid sold at academy) for am AK mod I did. The problem is the finish probably will not match the rest of the gun.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Any straight cold bluing will Leave you disappointed. First thing is I would go slow and use a brass or copper brush and flitz metal polish or break free clp. Go slow use multiple applications scrubbing between and wiping as the rudt comes off when you get most of the rust off evaluate and see if you want to use the bluing pen. You can alway send it to colt and have then hot blue the gun. If it were mine i would scrub the rust and oil it well.

Chris

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks for the info guys but I got most of the rust off, just after the rust came off the area infected is no longer blued (shiny) its just a matted color.
    Would a Presto gun blue pen blue the gun to a shine or just a matte black?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    i have done touch ups and completly reblued a couple of older rifles with very nice results using cold blue, the most imortant steps are at the beginning. Remove ALL rust frome the area, then use rubbing alcohol to remove ALL the oils. This may be most important, but will be easier since this is a touch up. try not to go outside the bare spot too much with the alcohol becouse it will rmove more blueing from the gun. Use a smooth cloth such as cleenex and soak it good with cold blue then lay it over the bare metal and let it sit, the wetter it is the longer it can sit, try not to let it dry on there, usually about 10 minutes is good for each application. After that rinse and buff as the directions say, bbuffing with a cloth will help blend the color to match on the last application. Oil it good when your done. Cold blue will rust more easily than the factory blue it seems. I dont believe i left anything out but it is bedtime so i will doublechck tomorrow. Key thing to remember through the process is not to rush anything, once you oil it you have to start all over if your not happy.

maiko

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    houston
    cold blue pens are matte and may look "off" if applied to a polished blue finish. but its better than nothing until you can refinish the entire piece

lilricky2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    S.E. Houston
    Will covering the spot in any fashion work? The reason I ask is Colt's bluing on a Python is usually spetacular. That's the reason it is the one revolver I wish I owned. Well, maybe a S&W .500 too. I don't know if it is nitride or what process they use to blue them, but you won't match it with any cold blue. Sorry.

Rick

Top Bottom