• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I have been registered with Gun Broker for a coup-le of months now. Within the first week, I did pick up a nice SKS for cheaper than I could find locally. Since then, I have bid on 76 auctions and have noticed that most of them seem to go for a quite a bit more than I would have guessed. I can find some of these local for the price, inlcuding Tax.

I'm guessing firearms may be way more expensive outside of Texas?

I know you might not want to give any tips or tricks, but if you care to share, I'm listening. I personally continue to bid just incase I get lucky and catch one that no one is watching.....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yes, guns are usually more expensive everywhere outside of Texas. I travel a lot and rarely do I see better deals than what I find here.

As for Gun Broker, consider yourself lucky that you got one good deal. That site has really gotten out of control and if you're expecting great bargains, you'll be disappointed. It's the same with Guns America, Auction Arms, Texas Gun Trader, etc. etc. Most of the online auction sites have been discovered and it's not likely that any good deals will go unnoticed unless you are extremely lucky. It can happen, but don't bank on it.

As to tricks, be willing to pay more than everyone else and you stand a good chance of winning! Otherwise, it's like eBay, the person with the deepest pockets will end up owning the item...

If you're looking for the best deals, find someone selling what you want and see if you can negotiate the price down. Private sales are the way to go, especially if you can do them face-to-face.

Lastly, consider the value of the firearm to you more than the price! I picked up a Marlin 60 today that was in great shape. I may have been able to find one cheaper if I spent more time and effort to look; but I had the cash in hand, the seller dropped the price down to a reasonable level, and now I have a nice .22 rifle that will be fun to shoot for years to come! I consider that a 'win!'

Cheers! M2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Look for typo's - especially in the listing header. Beretta as Berretta, etc. - they can cause guns to be overlooked. But as M2 noted - guns are cheaper here than most of the rest of the country, and as a result, "deals" are usually best found locally. Flip side is the Model A Uzi I listed on several Texas sites without even a decent nibble (trade deals offered for $1200 retail worth of guns, etc). It's currently at $1800+, with 24 hours to go....

The other thing is - and this is where GB and the others are invaluable - the rare, seldom-seen guns. I've bought 6 of my 9 Randalls via the 'net on various sites, and I doubt I'd have ever found 'em in Texas.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I'm not a special collector, I just bid on guns I thought would be cool to own. I have ASSUMED, on several occassions, I would surely win just to come back an hour later and find a couple of ding dongs have already bid the auction up a 100 dollars more than the gun is worth.

Most of the time I just go to academy or AJC in Katy and buy them NIB.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    I've had excellent experience with GunBroker. I can usually get a pistol for $100 or less than elsewhere that way and it's usually the only source for hard-to-find parts and accessories. For instance, a few months ago, I was looking to finish my H&K UMP conversion from a USC but couldn't find decent prices on German factory UMP parts. Then all of a sudden, some dude starts an auction for a UMP semi-auto lower, German folding stock and two 25-rd UMP mags for $650 and voila, I have the last remaining pieces to complete my project. And all for a few hundred less than putting it together piecemeal.

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    It's not exactly ebay but somethings to consider: (1) Know the local retail prices for what you're looking, (2) set a amount limit on what you want to spend in your hands including shipping and FFL transfer, (3) set your settings to watch and don't bid on the item until auction is almost ending and (4) more important is to be patient as there are always new postings being added for what you want just a matter of time. I do in some states regionally it's more expensive than Texas, but I've also seen Sig P226 in 40SW going for a lot cheaper than here locally. Just depends on what gun. Again be patient.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    It really depends. There seems to be little rhyme or reason to what people are willing to pay for things.

I have gotten some good deals on gunbroker. I have also bid what I felt was way too high on item only to be outbid.

One of the things I like about gunbroker is you can often find things there that are hard to find elsewhere. For example, there was a time where the advantage arms .22 kits for the g19 gen4 were very difficult to find. I went on gunbroker and there were 10 or more of them available, NIB. Most at reasonable prices.

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    Also wanted to add that while GB is fine for finding something different or unique or specialized, it's always my first personal preference to go to my local gun store and support a local business. When I'm looking for something "special" like a P228 made in W. Germany in stainless LNIB that's something the local guy can't get, then I expand my search criteria and use GB. For the standard run of the mill gun from the factory or distributor the local shops can easily order and come pretty close to GB pricing. IMO.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I don't curently need any parts, but I did already think about, if I needed any, this would be a good place to look.

I do study local reatil, set a limit and also check the feedback of the seller. I was bidding on auctions as soon as I found one, but rethinking that to bidding right toward the end of the auction.

Okay, Patience it is...

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Also wanted to add that while GB is fine for finding something different or unique or specialized, it's always my first personal preference to go to my local gun store and support a local business. When I'm looking for something "special" like a P228 made in W. Germany in stainless LNIB that's something the local guy can't get, then I expand my search criteria and use GB. For the standard run of the mill gun from the factory or distributor the local shops can easily order and come pretty close to GB pricing. IMO.

I find it hard to find locally good deals on quality, expensive firearms such as H&K and Sig Sauer. I usually go to GB or troll for sale ads on here and other Texas forums for deals.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Patience.

My strategy has been identifying what I want and keep saved searches. I don't bid till the last day and usually not till the final hour. Usually by then, the bid is more than I'd consider. On the off chance it isn't, there's a good chance I'll be the one taking it. Doug it this way limits me from getting my hopes up and eliminates premature escalation:)

I've had some good deals. I've also seen overstock wars where several dealers are selling a lot of the same model and creating a buyers market.

Patience helps.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    Could you give us an idea on the type of things you bid on? I've bought 4 items thru GB and paid wholesale, or barely above, every time. I have no clue about used gun auctions or curios, but if you bid on items EVERYONE has(AR15s, Glocks, 1911s, etc.) then you can get some decent deals. I generally figure out who has the auction listed AND then I pick up the phone and CALL them. Politely ask them to make me a better deal than their GB price since they won't have to pay GB off if we come to deal over the phone. You can get good deals using GB as more of a telephone book that allows you to know which dealers have certain items "In Stock". Just the sales tax savings alone(especially on BIG purchases) can be more than enough to cover shipping and any transfer fee you to pay to a Texas FFL.

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Got my Sig Scorpion for $900 OTD off of gun broker which is about 100 less then my dealer, but I would have had to wait a log time to get it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    You'll lose a lot more than win with Gunbroker, although the wins can make the frustration worth it. If you live in Texas the best deals are at gun shows.

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    I got a few good deals at the SA Gun Show, Saxet in Austin, and even the Taylor show earlier this year. They were all common pistols P226, RIA, M&P, etc each at or less than I saw at online retailers and way less than I saw at LGS or the likes of Cabelas. Not every table is great, but good deals can be found.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A "deal" is in the eye of the beholder. I've paid prices for guns that some would shake their heads at - but when you're buying one of a hundred that exist in the world, sometimes that's what it takes.

I'm always tickled by the folks that complain about prices - they are what they are. Pay 'em, or move along and find something more to your liking on down the road. Complaining about it ain't gonna change anything.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    As I said in my earlier post, don't confuse the value of a firearm to someone with the price!

It's what the gun is worth to you. This morning I shot the Marlin 60 I picked up at the gun show yesterday. Price-wise it may not have been the best deal possible, but I had a great time shooting it and am very glad to have it as a part of my collection.

I consider firearms to be an investment, and not just a monetarily one. If an object can bring happiness and joy to a person, what you pay for it isn't really an issue, is it?

Cheers! M2

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I have bought and sold many guns on Gun Broker. Only once had a guy have the winning bid and back out, but he paid me more that I spend in fess so it was OK by me. I have gotten some great deals there, but there are lots of people who have more money than brains or think their gun is a lot more special than I do. IMO you need to limit it to looking at a certain item. Have a realistic value of what it would cost new, and go from there. I see a lot of people pay more for a used gun that the shipped price of a new one from Buds. I just figure thats better for me when I sell.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom