• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I went shooting the other night and I had jams on the 7th round out of 8 round magazines. It happened a few times to me. I was upset because I just rebuilt the magazines thinking that it would fix the problem. I took some pictures and while I am sure they are had to see they are better than me explaining. They are 2 different instances but in the same night.

One is a double feed and the other is a stove pipe but the mouth of the case is crushed. Any ideas?

ccd0d8a3.gif

9367f591.gif
    Hurley's Gold

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Looks like the extractor is hanging on to the case too long. Not letting it fly free of the chamber. Also check the ejector if it is too short it will throw the case out too late. Next, have you fired THIS weapon a lot? Or is this a new weapon for you? If it is, check your grip on the weapon when firing. Short barreled semi autos will stove pipe if you "limp wrist" shoot them. Just the nature of the beast. MG

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    It's a gun I have had for 5 years and bought it used. I have already had the the extractor and ejector replaced. Before I had them replaced or even needed to have them replace I did not ever have problems with this gun.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I would try a new, different brand of magazine. I have experienced similar problems w/my 1911 when using aftermarket mags. Especially if it ONLY happens on that seventh round. Otherwise maybe your slide is "short stroking" from too much spring and/or soft loads.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Looks like the extractor is hanging on to the case too long. Not letting it fly free of the chamber. Also check the ejector if it is too short it will throw the case out too late. Next, have you fired THIS weapon a lot? Or is this a new weapon for you? If it is, check your grip on the weapon when firing. Short barreled semi autos will stove pipe if you "limp wrist" shoot them. Just the nature of the beast. MG

I agree 100%.

This is shooter caused (flinching / grip issue) or a mechanical issue (too much recoil spring for the load / short ejector). The magazine has nothing to do with the gun not extracting.

Freedom1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    Saint Louis
    One reason for stove piping is short cycling or short stroking of the slide. You said you bought the gun used and have had it for 5 years.
    It is possible the recoil spring is worn or is to stout and is not cycling properly. That is where I would start.
    Wolff makes recoil springs for the 1911 and a set of replacement springs don't cost that much.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    Photo 1 does not look like a double-feed. A double feed is when the slide picks up two live rounds out of the magazine is almost always magazine related. Though blurry, I think that photo is a fail to eject. Photo 2 is also a failure to eject.

Any 1911 diagnosis starts with ammo and magazine. I rule out ammo by using brand-name hardball.
    I rule out magazines by using a brand new Wilson 7-rounder. I see W/R 8-rounders in the backgound of your pics. Some guns don't like 8-rounders for some reason.
    While I was at it, I'd rule out limp-wristing as a possible cause.

If it still happens, then move on to gun problems. You said you had the extractor and ejector replaced? If it wasn't giving you problems why did you do that?
    Make sure both are adjusted properly because if they were just dropped in with no proper tuning, either could be the problem.
    Failure to eject can be related to the recoil spring - could be either too heavy for the load or could be worn out.
    A loose or broken ejector can cause failure to eject. The ejector needs to be pinned in place. Some manufactuers cheap out and super-glue them down. Check and see if you can wiggle it with your fingers.

Failure to eject can be magazine related, but it's unlikely. But you'll rule out that with the new Wilson 7-rounder.

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I had never had a problem with the Wilsons before and yes they are all the 8 rounders.

The ammo I was using were reloads from a guy in Texas City. So that could be it.

I had the ejector and the extractor replaced because they had given me problems. Brass was actually being slung into my forehead. Hot .45 brass hurts when it hits your forehead.

Looking back on my previous post I see that I said that was not having problems before and that was incorrect.

When I 1st bought it I wasn't having any problems. Then I started to and ejection problems so I took it to the gunsmith at Marksman gun range.

Top Bottom