Venture Surplus ad

Gun laws for carrying a gun with a motorcycle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CoryAyers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    Glenn Heights, TX
    Does anyone know about carrying a gun if you are a motorcyclist? Or where I could find those? Is it the same as a car? I don't have a CHL, and I own more shot guns and rifles anyway. But if I got a handgun would I need a CHL to transport it?
    Venture Surplus ad

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Cory, look up the Motorist Protection Act. I believe it was passed in 2007. It refers to "motor vehicle" which equally applies to cars and bikes. The search function is your friend as well. This has been discussed at length on this forum.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You can carry concealed on a bike without a CHL, as long as you're eligible; but you can't carry anywhere else except between it and your residence. Makes it a bit of a hassle if you stop anywhere. It'd be smarter just to get a CHL and be allowed to carry it in most places...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Does anyone know about carrying a gun if you are a motorcyclist? Or where I could find those? Is it the same as a car? I don't have a CHL, and I own more shot guns and rifles anyway. But if I got a handgun would I need a CHL to transport it?

A motorcycle IS a motor vehicle. A person without a CHL can carry a handgun on or about his person while inside of or directly enroute to his motor vehicle. Google Texas Penal Code section 46.02. I presume being ON a motorcycle is the same as being INSIDE a motor vehicle.

To qualify under 46.02 the person must not have the handgun in plain view, must not be prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, must not be a member of a criminal street gang, and must not commit a crime while carrying (minor traffic offenses are not included)

Top Bottom