• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    With the skyrocketing cost of ammunition, not many people are going to want expend it at the range. I drove by ASC earlier today and there were far fewer people there than I have seen in quite a while. (Granted it is Christmas eve).

I don't think people are going to be shooting a couple of hundred rounds like they used to this fall. I usually take about 200 rounds, but that is a lot of money in replacement ammo right now...

It is ironic that an increase in gun sales leads to a slow down in business at the range.

Update:
    It is pretty obvious now that I was wrong with my initial observation....
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I disagree in terms of ammo sent down the pipe. Business at the local ranges might be a different set of circumstances, perhaps even better now.

I for one will be limiting the ammo I squeeze off, to the ammo which I can replace it with at the same cost (adjusted within reason or less)

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    There is not an ammo shortage. There is an asshole surplus. Ammo prices will even back out. This isn't the first time we've seen this kind of hysteria.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I disagree in terms of ammo sent down the pipe. Business at the local ranges might be a different set of circumstances, perhaps even better now.

I for one will be limiting the ammo I squeeze off, to the ammo which I can replace it with at the same cost (adjusted within reason or less)

I reload, with enough supplies to support a HEAVY range regimen (which I never have the time for anyways) for a minimum of 2-3 years. Ain't gonna worry with it......

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I reload, with enough supplies to support a HEAVY range regimen (which I never have the time for anyways) for a minimum of 2-3 years. Ain't gonna worry with it......

You and me both, my friend. hey, why haven't you been at the Friedman center lately? I noticed the NRA's wall of guns wasn't a booth there last couple times, which was good cauz I saved $20 lolz.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    There was a run on guns and ammo since the shooting. The dealers will be able to resupply in a few weeks. Enjoy the holidays and worry about it later.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Picked up some .40 WWB at Academy a couple of days ago @ 34.99 for a 100-rd box, which is what it's been for a while. I'll have plenty for the range, and I will usually pick up an extra box or two at WallyWorld if it's there while I'm getting other stuff.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The only ammo impossible to find right now is .223/5.56, 7.62x39, and .22LR.
    There is still plenty of .380, 9mm, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, and .45 Auto on the shelves of major retailers.
    Fears of a gun ban will always deplete all ammo for ARs/AKs almost immediately.
    As for .22LR, it gets bought out when people can't find any AR/AK ammo and decide to shoot their ersatz guns instead.
    Many others jump on all the .22LR they can afford when any other caliber becomes scarce.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    That seems like the logical thing to do. I make it a point to buy 100 rounds of each caliber I shoot a week, plus I have a lower receiver fetish so I was purchasing 1-2 a week for the last few years.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It's funny how all of those government agencies stocked up just before the shortage.

If a 1,000 people each order 1,000 rounds, that's a million rounds. I think way more than 1,000 people purchased to cause this shortage.

When the shortage ends, people will have a ton of ammo, and the ranges will again prosper.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Keep in mind that the war in Iraq is winding down. The manufacturing demand is not what it was when the last "shortage" happened. Give it a few months and things should settle down.

Top Bottom