• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    This morning’s New York Times has a story about states loosening gun laws so Americans can pack heat and go drinking at their favorite local haunts. Democrats are up in arms (sorry), because they want stronger gun-control measures. Republicans are afraid that they’ll be stripped of their right to conceal a Colt 45 at the county fish fry. Or, as National Rifle Association chief executive Wayne LaPierre, who trusts Obama about as much as a rusted bolt on a broken WWI-era rifle, put it: “The watchword for gun owners is stay ready. We have had some successes, but we know that the first chance Obama gets, he will pounce on us.” It’s O.K., though, Wayne, because if Obama is on the campaign trail having a burger with the constituents at your local watering hole in Virginia, you’ll still feel safe because you’ll be strapped.

Anyway, let’s take a look at Guns in America Today (as reported by The New York Times), shall we?
    Virginia’s General Assembly approved a bill last week allowing residents to carry concealed weapons in “bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.” Underlying Message: The General Assembly is permitting residents to carry concealed weapons at pizza joints full of little league teams where people drink pitchers of beer and get in fights over Redskins games. What it Means For You: Reconsidering where to have the year-end party for your son’s Pop Warner football team.

Last year, President Obama signed bills allowing guns to be carried in national parks and “in luggage” on Amtrak trains. Underlying Message: Take the train! Smell the roses! See the countryside! Upon your arrival, drink a bottle of Jim Beam, show your kids how a shotgun works, then singlehandedly decimate the population of black bears. What it Means For You: “Honey, I was thinking Six Flags could be more fun than The Smokies this summer. The kids have never been to an amusement park, and it’s closer, so we could drive… “

In January, Indiana lawmakers passed bills that prohibit private employers from forbidding employees to keep firearms in their vehicles parked on company property. Underlying Message: So what if John has a gun in his trunk? Do you really think he’d actually go to the parking lot, load it, and bring it back? He just likes to hunt. What it Means For You: Heightened anxiety during the next round of layoffs.

This month, the Virginia House repealed the one-gun-per-month law (passed in 1993 by Virginia’s then Democratic Governor, L. Douglas Wilder), which limited residents to one handgun purchase every 30 days. Underlying Message: If the rest of the country (except Maryland, New Jersey, and California) can buy more than 12 guns a year, why can’t we? What it Means For You: More crazy people with more guns.

Arizona and Wyoming are considering a rash of pro-gun measures, one which would allow residents to carry concealed weapons sans permit. Underlying Message: **** it, you’re more likely to be killed in a car accident. Might as well be able to carry a gun. What it Means For You: More time at home. Work on that garden you’ve always wanted. Take another crack at that half-finished novel in your bedside table. Learn how to knit. Become a sniper.

One of the funniest reads, I love how Vanity Fair has now become a expert on gun owners.
    Texas SOT

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    What the anti-gun fruits & nuts think about mine and your GOD given right and the 2nd Amendment can be expressed in the Words of Clark Gable in the movie Gone With the Wind..."Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn" ! I have had access to shotguns, rifles, and pistols since I was big enough to shoot them. I have been a Marine and a Leo. I have never killed not robbed, nor threatened with a firearm needlessly. And I don't intend to except in the defense of my family, myself and property when necessary. I doube if I would use deadly force on a kid for stealing hubcaps or a spare tire. Class III weapons are beyond my pocketbook and the cost of the ammo they would eat. Zombies (you know who I mean) break into my house, they're gonna meet Jesus !!!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I moved to NY for a few years (job related) and had to get a permit just to OWN the pistols I had. I talked to a couple of cops one day about getting a permit and they said, "We control guns in NY. It's not like in Houston where cops are getting shot down every day." I asked why they thought they were getting shot. They said it was because Houston was advertising for cops. I pointed out that it was the lousy pay that created turnover, not getting shot, and that shooting a cop in Texas was pretty much an automatic death sentence. (As it should be, LEOs.) They wouldn't believe me.

A week later, a cop was shot in that town. He stopped in a store to buy snacks and when he came out, 2 cars of oxygen-thieves were trying to screw each other over a supposed drug deal. He happened to get in the middle. The gun that shot him was legally purchased in NY by a city councilman and STOLEN by a low-life.

Two points: First, gun laws only affect LAW ABIDING CITIZENS. Criminals don't obey laws, that's why we call them criminals.
    Second, people's attitudes in that region (and the Left Coast) is SO shaped by the leftist media that they don't even begin to understand what's really going on. People in the old Soviet Union probably got more balanced information.

So an article like this is not surprising. It is another good reason - as if we needed another reason - to secede.

txjkbrad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Denton County
    I think an underlying message of that article is to encourage the holier-than-thou, 'cultured' 'elite' to stay away from places we mouth-breathing, knuckle dragging misanthropes are now allowed to carry.

Works for me.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Ask that cop who is controlling all those guns in NYC that are used in crimes...all the guns that kept NYC in the top 4 for murders annually along with Chicago, LA and Washington, all big gun control cities. Seems that "gun control" has worked real well for them...

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I thought it was comical.

Underlying Message: Writer is a anti that thinks we shouldn't have guns because he's never needed one, and those that do ... are stereotypical rednecks.

What it Means for You: Choose another publication.

Top Bottom