• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I'm moving a new to me safe into my new house. The floor it's going on is carpet. I want it to not be sitting on the carpet with no moisture/water barrier. What do y'all have or suggest? I'm thinking of this
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat
    Would this work for my purposes? The safe will be bolted down to the foundation and probably the wall too. Right now it is sitting on several concrete blocks. I don't really want the blocks because it makes the safe sit about 8" higher and its already tall. If it is better than the mat or other ideas, I'll keep them. It's a National Security Magnum and weighs about 1500 pounds.
    Texas SOT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I have a sheet of that horse trailer mat. The thick stuff. I use it for an archery back stop. It's tough and spongy. I don't see why you couldn't use it under a safe.

I'd try it.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Spongy? I was reading the mat was quite hard and not like the anti-fatigue mats for standing at a register or workbench.

I'll have to drag my carcass to Tractor Supply.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Spongy? I was reading the mat was quite hard and not like the anti-fatigue mats for standing at a register or workbench.

I'll have to drag my carcass to Tractor Supply.

I shouldn't had used that word. Sorry about that. It looks like ground up recycled car tire rubber they've pressed into mats. It's soft and firm as a car tire.

It's heavy stuff too. Weight wise. The mat I have weighs at least 25-30lbs. They keep them in the bullpen next to the store outside. Where the water tanks and fence supplies are. Take a buggy, you'll need it.

Last edited:

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Ah that sounds better. Thanks. I'm on the way to look at them. Anyone else with another solution I haven't thought of?

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Big truck mud flaps are the only other thing I can think of on short notice that might be equivalent to what you linked to. I think that what you posted might work better though. And other than maybe something like restaurant floor matting (the perforated matting used in the kitchen(s)) I can't think of anything.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Why not just put down a piece of oversized plexiglass or office chair mat? Or for that matter, since it's to be bolted in place anyway, just cut that section of carpet and padding out. Just tack down one of those carpet stop things that covers the cut end/end of the carpet and call it done.

Just a thought or two...

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I think the clear plastic mats for chairs will after several years but this is a heavy rubber mat meant for horse stalls.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I haven't. I have seen the bases that are covered in carpet and made with 4x4x and 2x4. I think they will have the same moisture issues I'm trying to remedy. My floor is carpet and I dont want it sitting on it with nothing in between.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I had a cheap gun cabinet that rusted and stained the carpet so I can see where he is coming from. But carpet will be flattened by the matt after a while it will never match the other carpet

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I'm not worried about flattening the carpet but my safe rusting. It's big and expensive and I only want to buy one and move it once.

I contacted a few safe movers in the H ok Huston area and it looks like it will cost about a grand to move.

Top Bottom