• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I know the subject of gun safes has been brought up in the past, but what I'd like to ask is recommendation from owners about which companies provide the best safes? Which companies not only build great quality safes, but also will support them with few hassles if anything goes wrong. I'm interested in a 500-700 pound safe, dial lock, and at least one-hour fire protection. Any insight would be welcome.
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You get what you pay for, but, that being said, I have had good luck with the Cannon safe I bought at Academy. The dial was a little picky, as in you had to be right on the number exactly, but it worked. I did switch it to an electronic dial when I bought my second safe with an electronic dial. They are way easier to open.

Is it a Knox or something like that? No, but it wasn't that price either. Both my safes do what I need them to do.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Thank you, gentlemen, for your responses! Do either of you have lighting systems or humidifying/dehumidifying systems in your safes? If so, any problems hooking them up or using them?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I drilled a hole in mine and ran power into it. I have a Golden Rod and two lights in it. I used rechargable silicon packets before, but the Golden Rod is way better.

The outer skin on my newer safe is pretty thin metal, and then multiple layers of sheetrock. The more sheetrock, the higher fire rating usually. Anyways, it was pretty easy to drill through.

I just hooked up a standard wall outlet in there, and the lights are the spring clamp flexible style. Nothing real fancy, but it works.

supersampson12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    forney
    I've got a cannon 24 gun safe from academy, looks to be well built and has a lifetime warranty even if the safe is damaged in a fire or vandalized. Its electronic dial and has a power cord, usb, and ethernet cable already passing throught into the safe.

doubled

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    frisco, tx
    I got the 18 gun safe from here.... internal blue lighting and quality construction. Look online, there are videos of this one being wrapped in det cord and 2 sticks of dynamite on it and it didn't open.

Grampz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I know the subject of gun safes has been brought up in the past, but what I'd like to ask is recommendation from owners about which companies provide the best safes? Which companies not only build great quality safes, but also will support them with few hassles if anything goes wrong. I'm interested in a 500-700 pound safe, dial lock, and at least one-hour fire protection. Any insight would be welcome.

Don't have one of these but seriously considered buying one before I found an old Mosler fire safe locally. The Sturdy Safe is made in the USA. Check out their website. Lots of info and videos. Many options and FREE DELIVERY!

Fire Safes : Gun Safes : Sturdy Safe

Grampz

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    Un-prepared, the safe may withstand entry attempts... prepared, probably not... remember that you are not alone on the Interwebs... just one old guy's opinion.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Although I fully intend to buy a safe, just out of curiosity has anyone been unfortunate enough to suffer a house fire and had personal experience with how their safe performed?

Top Bottom