• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Stopped by my local WM yesterday to pick up some shotgun shells for the little woman.

The sporting goods area was in a shambles.

Gun cases were going in and the shooter's area shelving was being remodeled kind of like you see the tool area at Home Depot. One way in, one way out.

As I was paying, I asked the clerk about when it was going to start, he didn't know. I asked if he was happy about it? he said not really. It's going to be a circus.

I chortled ...
    Texas SOT

GoofyCracker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Houston
    I wouldn't buy any firearm from Walmart that place is always packed you never know who is behind you watching what you buy then waiting for you outside. 99% of my gun purchases are done online or FTF that way there is few public eyes watching me. Plus buying online from out of state retailers saves the tax, shop around you can get better deals if you don't mind waiting on shipping.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have would have no problem buying from walmart if i'm lookin for a 10/22, had a mini-14 that caught my eye but then figured I had an AR so whats the point. Agree with charlie about the ammo.

Usually try to buy my guns locally to support some of the smaller gunshops, I like havin them around so I try to give them some bussiness. Guess they still make their money on FFL transfers. But then I gotta find somebody that has the gun to let me shoot before I buy.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I wouldn't buy any firearm from Walmart that place is always packed you never know who is behind you watching what you buy then waiting for you outside. 99% of my gun purchases are done online or FTF that way there is few public eyes watching me. Plus buying online from out of state retailers saves the tax, shop around you can get better deals if you don't mind waiting on shipping.

The same could be said for purchasing at Cabela's, BPS or even the local advertised gun show.
    Walking that "green mile" between the front door and my car is always a little nerve racking.

I'm not a fan of major purchases on-line. I would prefer to have a FTF purchase whether new or used purchase. To each his own, though.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I bought one gun at Wally world years ago and said I would never do it again. Their store regulations are stupid so I spend my money supporting a very friendly, knowledgeable LGS who appreciates my business. That also keeps my money supporting the local economy, not some mega corp. who buys most of their stuff from communist countries.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Recently purchased a Remington 597 22 from WalMart and price was $30 cheaper than local gun stores and paperwork was no big deal. I have CHL so no phone call needed and their paperwork was electronic instead of standard yellow form. The guy just spun the computer monitor around and keyboard...I completed the form and was on my way in less than 15 minutes. They have an Ar-15 in stock for a good price and as I mentioned in another post.....had a bad-ass Sig M400 AR15 in stock last week......gone today. Not sure what GoofyCracker meant by never know who's looking over your shoulder and follow you to the door. Since I always carry.....this is not an issue to me.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Most of the WallyWorlds around here no longer carry guns and some no longer carry ammo. It's hard to buy ammo at the ones that still carry it because it takes forever to track down whatever zombie of the moment that has the key.

GoofyCracker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    Houston
    Recently purchased a Remington 597 22 from WalMart and price was $30 cheaper than local gun stores and paperwork was no big deal. I have CHL so no phone call needed and their paperwork was electronic instead of standard yellow form. The guy just spun the computer monitor around and keyboard...I completed the form and was on my way in less than 15 minutes. They have an Ar-15 in stock for a good price and as I mentioned in another post.....had a bad-ass Sig M400 AR15 in stock last week......gone today. Not sure what GoofyCracker meant by never know who's looking over your shoulder and follow you to the door. Since I always carry.....this is not an issue to me.

I carry also but I consider Walmart kinda ghetto at least in Houston area out in the sticks not so bad

PaknSiG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Ft. Worth area
    I have noticed that the local store here has been adding more guns and different types of guns (for a long time it was only shotguns & .22LRs) plus lots of ammo. I try to buy a couple of bricks of .22LR each time I go in there. Got a new store going in just down the road. Be interesting to see what they will carry.

TM

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I have noticed that the local store here has been adding more guns and different types of guns (for a long time it was only shotguns & .22LRs) plus lots of ammo. I try to buy a couple of bricks of .22LR each time I go in there. Got a new store going in just down the road. Be interesting to see what they will carry.

TM

We have 3 Wal Mart's and I frequent 2 of them on a weekly basis. One always has the same old Wal Mart gun stock......couple of shotguns, bolt action deer rifles, a couple of 22's. The other one carries AR's, mini-14, great selection of shotguns....some sporting clay quality and great selection of 22's....Ruger 10-22 blue and stainless and at least one or 22mags. Not sure if the manager is responsible for this or who decides what stores get what inventory.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    I think it's great that some Walmarts sell guns. Wish they all did. Having them in the store that the mainstream masses shop at exposes them to firearms. The more they see them in "normal" places like Walmart, the more desensitized to firearms they'll become. How can you be afraid of guns...They sell them in Walmart for crying out loud.

Although I personally prefer to do most of my purchases from smaller, local gun shops. Like others have said, I believe you have to pay to support them if you're going to go in and handle their guns to see what its your hand. I do buy most of my ammo from WW though. Their prices have been far better than anywhere else until recently. I've noticed that prices are trending down from online ammo sellers. In fact, I just ordered 1000 rounds of 9mm! That's the first non-Wally ammo I've bought in a while.

bufford

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Dallas
    I tried to buy ammo in my WM last week & the girl got the key stuck in the lock & couldnt open it. She called for the manager who tried to do all sorts of things to get it open, to no avail.... Gee, how hard is this & do they sell that little ammo? I wont go back to that store for sure....

Ghostie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Austin
    Whenever I buy ammo at Walmart, I have to ask for a Manager several times, and wait 10-15 mins for someone to come help me.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The one I go to always has a good supply of ammo. Lots of the value packs and good selection. Tons of airsoft, but no real guns.

Someone is always manning the counter. The main counter guy thinks he's Rambo though. I grow weary of his dissertations on my caliber and ammo selections. I also have to listen to his BS, made up stories. He reminds everyone that he's "ex-military." If so, I'm thinking he was a cook or a latrine digger.

It used to annoy me. Now I look at it as free entertainment.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Mine usually has a good ammo supply, but has never sold guns.

It is usually 50/50 whether there will be somebody handy, or if I have to wait, then walk around & try to find somebody with the key.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Well, this is seriously different from the three Walmarts near Corinth. They all have people that can give reasonable advice on ammo and in one case the gentleman is really very knowledgeable. The only possible complaint that I have with their ammo is they sell out of the popular items quickly. Unless, you are their when they are unloading the shipping pallets, you may not get any. They sell lots. Now, the prices vary depending on the store, the Denton store is many times cheaper than the other two stores. The only time that I have had any trouble has been after midnight.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    The one I go to always has a good supply of ammo. Lots of the value packs and good selection. Tons of airsoft, but no real guns.

Someone is always manning the counter. The main counter guy thinks he's Rambo though. I grow weary of his dissertations on my caliber and ammo selections. I also have to listen to his BS, made up stories. He reminds everyone that he's "ex-military." If so, I'm thinking he was a cook or a latrine digger.

It used to annoy me. Now I look at it as free entertainment.

I say, he must be our HSE manager during the day and work at Wally world at night. Our HSE guy has killed people with his bare hands as a paramedic. While drinking their blood and partying with the kings of Saudi Arabia.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I hear you. The guy has nothing to prove to me; I'm just there to buy ammo. I don't care if he was an ex-Delta-Seal-Team-6-DoubleRainbow-Operator, unless he can cut me a deal on the price. I don't get the grandstanding.

Top Bottom