Not open for further replies.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    All of the guns, about 60 of them, and thousands of rounds of ammo of mine were stolen within the last week from Simply Self Storage at 5741 FM 646 in League City, TX. It's in Texas City's jurisdiction so they came to look and take a report. This was an inside job, so if anyone from here has anything worth storing there, or knows anyone who currently stores there, it's high time to get it all out and go somewhere honest.

Here's how they did it: Last year the previous ownership of the storage place sold out to a national chain and the management changed at the same time. The new office manager is a lardass cow who is not good at explaining anything. Our due date has always been the 17th of the month, so we always dropped off payment on the 10th. But starting the first of January this year, according to the cow, all rents became due on the first of the month. Somehow we were supposed to know that, because they didn't tell us, either in person, by phone call, email, or letter. So for 6 months they've been racking up late charges that they also didn't let us know about.

A few days ago I got an email telling me that late charges are due and I'm locked out of my unit until the charges are paid. I went to the office to take with lardass and she explained it the best she could. So I paid the $134 late charge and their locks came off. Now the only way they could put their lock on the sliding lock is to remove our locks either by cutting or picking. When I went to get something out tonight, our locks were still on the sliding lock, so that means they took off one of our locks to put theirs on. I have no doubt whoever took off the first one also took off our second lock, opened it to see what was in it, saw a gold mine, probably took a couple samples, put theirs on until I came back and paid the bogus late charge, then put our locks back on until they wanted to come rob us. Conveniently, the video camera looking at the entry door to the building is off its mount and looks at the ground. The only other video camera looks away from the building and would not have any view of the parking lot for at least 25 feet from the building. I know, I've looked at the monitors many times.

What really ticks me off is that lardass never said a thing about due dates changing or late charges in the several times I've paid in person. She sure got her fat ass moving quickly when she saw the police car drive into the facility. She has all kinds of excuses about everything. I told the cop right in front of the cow that I'd bet $100 there will be a portion of video missing right when all my stuff was stolen. I'm not a believer in coincidence. The cow and whoever does maintenance is in on it. It will never be proven but I know it.

Total losses will be somewhere between $120K and $150K. If I'm able to get serial numbers of most of the guns, I might eventually get some of them back if they're seized in an arrest. I'm putting no faith in that happening.
    Venture Surplus ad

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I have some insurance through USAA. The lardass cow said I could file a claim with the company but the lease agreement says no guns or ammo, something else she conveniently never mentioned. So I asked her in front of the cop, what about the retired HPD guy who has about 400 guns stored in his unit in the back? It's real, he has that many. She got a bit embarrassed and wouldn't answer. Of course not. Can't rile the cops, can she?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have some insurance through USAA. The lardass cow said I could file a claim with the company but the lease agreement says no guns or ammo, something else she conveniently never mentioned. So I asked her in front of the cop, what about the retired HPD guy who has about 400 guns stored in his unit in the back? It's real, he has that many. She got a bit embarrassed and wouldn't answer. Of course not. Can't rile the cops, can she?

Did the "no guns/ammo" change with the new owners?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You have a
    All of the guns, about 60 of them, and thousands of rounds of ammo of mine were stolen within the last week from Simply Self Storage at 5741 FM 646 in League City, TX. It's in Texas City's jurisdiction so they came to look and take a report. This was an inside job, so if anyone from here has anything worth storing there, or knows anyone who currently stores there, it's high time to get it all out and go somewhere honest.

Here's how they did it: Last year the previous ownership of the storage place sold out to a national chain and the management changed at the same time. The new office manager is a lardass cow who is not good at explaining anything. Our due date has always been the 17th of the month, so we always dropped off payment on the 10th. But starting the first of January this year, according to the cow, all rents became due on the first of the month. Somehow we were supposed to know that, because they didn't tell us, either in person, by phone call, email, or letter. So for 6 months they've been racking up late charges that they also didn't let us know about.

A few days ago I got an email telling me that late charges are due and I'm locked out of my unit until the charges are paid. I went to the office to take with lardass and she explained it the best she could. So I paid the $134 late charge and their locks came off. Now the only way they could put their lock on the sliding lock is to remove our locks either by cutting or picking. When I went to get something out tonight, our locks were still on the sliding lock, so that means they took off one of our locks to put theirs on. I have no doubt whoever took off the first one also took off our second lock, opened it to see what was in it, saw a gold mine, probably took a couple samples, put theirs on until I came back and paid the bogus late charge, then put our locks back on until they wanted to come rob us. Conveniently, the video camera looking at the entry door to the building is off its mount and looks at the ground. The only other video camera looks away from the building and would not have any view of the parking lot for at least 25 feet from the building. I know, I've looked at the monitors many times.

What really ticks me off is that lardass never said a thing about due dates changing or late charges in the several times I've paid in person. She sure got her fat ass moving quickly when she saw the police car drive into the facility. She has all kinds of excuses about everything. I told the cop right in front of the cow that I'd bet $100 there will be a portion of video missing right when all my stuff was stolen. I'm not a believer in coincidence. The cow and whoever does maintenance is in on it. It will never be proven but I know it.

Total losses will be somewhere between $120K and $150K. If I'm able to get serial numbers of most of the guns, I might eventually get some of them back if they're seized in an arrest. I'm putting no faith in that happening.

You sound like you have a good legal case.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I know people who have kept storage units for years. I will never understand why. If you're never going to use the stuff, why keep it at all? Short term is understandable - like if you are moving - but long term makes no sense to me. Nothing about any storage place strikes me as being safe. There are YouTube channels devoted to the fact that locks are easily defeated. All a lock does is slow down the felon. If the felon has plenty of time and nobody watching, they're useless.

The next thing is that storing old furniture and clothes is one thing, but storing something valuable - esp. to a thief - is a whole magnitude greater risk. I don't say this to criticize the OP, but rather in hopes that someone else considering using a storage unit will think about it a bit before pulling the trigger. (The OP hasn't said, but may have had very legitimate reasons.)

Going forward, it would also be a very good idea to avoid ANY business that runs like the one the OP described. When you have people changing rules without telling you, you can be assured that they are crooked. If they don't screw you today, they will surely doing tomorrow or sometime in the future. Good companies (and good people) don't do business that way.

Reminds me of the case of Madelyn Murray O'Hair. She was a big atheist activist back in the 1970s and 80s that was kidnapped, along with some family members. They were forced to give up something around half a million dollars in gold coins, which the kidnappers hid in a storage locker for a few days while they disposed of the bodies and partied on the money from selling a few of the coins. When they returned to get the rest of the coins, they discovered that a gang of thieves had entered the storage locker (with a key they had for the padlock) and stole all the coins. The thieves put one coin in a pendant for a relative and ended up eventually getting caught.

Let's hope the OP's thieves find themselves in the graybar hotel with lots of time to ponder their misspent lives.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom