• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrBlue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Can anyone recommend a competent gunsmith in the Houston area, preferably within the inner loop that would pin and weld a barrel extension on an AK? I called a shop and they wanted $70 dollars to do the job. Seems a little steep for a 15 min job. Thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I know one gunsmith but he is in Porter/Conroe area a shop called Macdaddy Gun shop. Don the manager has one gunsmith who has been great doing good side jobs and he is very reasonable. I have also used a Feland gunsmith near Cypress. He mainly works on shotguns but does other guns as well.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Yeah I can weld pretty straight with my harbor freight Flux core. Bring over a bottle of tequila and I'll crank up the feed all way and turn up the amps! That sucker will never come off and probably look like a badass steel sea urchin stuck on there!

Or pay the $70 to let the pro get it done.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Are you familiar with Houston’s “Jess Briley Machine Works” ?

Briley is one of the World’s premier gun modification, parts duplication, & fine arms rehab places.

Please go visit them out Katy Fwy near Sam Houston Tollway; you’ll be very impressed.

I was amazed, spent several hours just looking around.

see: https://www.briley.com/

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

Are you familiar with Houston’s “Jess Briley Machine Works” ?

Briley is one of the World’s premier gun modification, parts duplication, & fine arms rehab places.

Please go visit them out Katy Fwy near Sam Houston Tollway; you’ll be very impressed.

I was amazed, spent several hours just looking around.

see: https://www.briley.com/

leVieux
    AND THEY LIKELY CHARGE HIM MANY TIMES OVER WHAT IT COSTS TO DO THE SAME JOB AN APPRENTICE GUNSMITH WOULD CHARGE TO DO THE SAME JOB BRILEY'S CATERS TO HIGHEND AND EXPENSIVE FIREARMS!AND PEOPLE WITH VERY DEEP POCKETS!

cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    AND THEY LIKELY CHARGE HIM MANY TIMES OVER WHAT IT COSTS TO DO THE SAME JOB AN APPRENTICE GUNSMITH WOULD CHARGE TO DO THE SAME JOB BRILEY'S CATERS TO HIGHEND AND EXPENSIVE FIREARMS!AND PEOPLE WITH VERY DEEP POCKETS!
    Just like Feland their specialty is to cater to the competitive world of gunsmithing.

MrBlue

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback. Found a shop local to me with good reviews that could do it with a quick turnaround. Picked it up and I'm not sure if the weld is fine. It seems to me that the hole is not completely covered. Explanation I was given was that the weld jumped, however the top of the pin is covered. For all you experts, is this kosher with ATF guidelines, or should I go to another shop that can drill out a small cavity and refill in it in with aluminum weld. BTW, the fake can is made of aluminum.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
      image1.jpeg
      315.2 KB · Views: 75
    • image0 (1).jpeg
      image0 (1).jpeg
      466.6 KB · Views: 77
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2022
    Houston
    Thanks for the feedback. Found a shop local to me with good reviews that could do it with a quick turnaround. Picked it up and I'm not sure if the weld is fine. It seems to me that the hole is not completely covered. Explanation I was given was that the weld jumped, however the top of the pin is covered. For all you experts, is this kosher with ATF guidelines, or should I go to another shop that can drill out a small cavity and refill in it in with aluminum weld. BTW, the fake can is made of aluminum.
    I can see where your pin hole is, looks like they used too much filler metal and it spilled over when the angle or arc length changed, I'm not a pro so anyone's guess. If the ATF can't take it off then it should be good to go. I've never heard of guidelines for how it should look.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    It will be fine. And you got what you paid for. His wire speed was a bit too fast, for the amps.

However, if you chose to spend the $70, the professional would have checked the speed/amps to make sure it was set up for a clean tack weld. The $70. guy was is not out of line for a commensurate professional to do a flawless job.

Top Bottom