Gun Zone Deals

Gunsmiths now required to register with I.T.A.R.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    Fellow Gunsmiths- BOHICA
    A FYI, you would be wise to read this-https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/07/25/ddtc-issues-guidance-on-itar-registration/

This is really bad news for small, one horse Smiths.

Thank you State Department, JugEars and Co.

In best Sgt Barnes from "Platoon": "Dem Mudderfuckers"
    Venture Surplus ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's important to note that the law has not changed. This is an administrative policy change. One that makes an otherwise legal activity illegal unless you are adhering to the new policy.

When do people just stop complying?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So those scofflaws with their Hornady ammo plants better watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    Since when do policy changes become law?

Oh, wait, I forgot, ATF is above the law, just like the Clintons and thier cronies.

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Since when do policy changes become law?

Oh, wait, I forgot, ATF is above the law, just like the Clintons and thier cronies.
    ITAR actually doesn't have anything to do with ATF. It's managed by the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls which is under the State Dept.

...but I'm sure the ATF would refer someone to Homeland Security if they observed a violation.

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    Spoke with a BATFE Industry Operations Inspector today. She was not directly familiar with it but when I read her some of the verbiage in it she stated she felt it was "excessive" and "unnecessary unless you are exporting".
    I have already made 3 calls to Senators, one named Steve Daines out of Montana who has familiarity with I.T.A.R. And has addressed them with success in the past. I will be drafting a letter to him and the others (Gardner, Gowdy and Issa).
    The NRA and NSSF is also aware of this directive.

It's the only chance we have.

Last edited:

Marcia

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fellow Gunsmiths- BOHICA
    A FYI, you would be wise to read this-https://blog.princelaw.com/2016/07/25/ddtc-issues-guidance-on-itar-registration/

This is really bad news for small, one horse Smiths.

Thank you State Department, JugEars and Co.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Here it is now, 2018. I'd like to revive this topic. I have not heard anything since it was enacted by the DOT, although not made "law" by Congress, to the effect that it has been rescinded or enforced. The ATF still warns FFL's that it is required - my hard-earned $2250 a year - towards my -02 Mfr. license for any machining work we do. Whether it goes or comes from overseas or not. ITAR is International Trade after all. Somehow it applies equally to mounting a scope on Bubba's hunting rifle. WTF? I wrote a letter to my congressman & senators back when this came out about it, and they have heard nothing since, but tried to "assure" me that this Trump admin. will be eventually blowing out the light on DOT's candle, so be patient. Trump has a lot on his schedule. What discouraged me the most at last year's SHOT show in talking about it with the NRA, they knew NOTHING about it. I mean NOTHING in any dept. or, had never even heard of it. I was torqued. Don't they have an ILA that's supposed to be working on legal stuff like this? I can't even get an answer from NRA_ILA. What gives? Now the question is whether this DOT fee is even legal if it was never approved by Congress. I haven't given up my money yet, nor have I received a bill, but oh-boy when the bill is due, I may have to file bankruptcy. So, does anyone else have any updates on it?

BTW, I have also been unable to download anything from the gov website.

Top Bottom