• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Well. He heard them announce that they were police and had a search warrant, and he still ran at them with a deadly weapon in his hand. Sucks to suck, honestly.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Well. He heard them announce that they were police and had a search warrant, and he still ran at them with a deadly weapon in his hand. Sucks to suck, honestly.

I acknowledge the possibility that that is true. To me it doesn't make sense. If he had a gun, maybe, but why would someone run at a SWAT team with a golf club if he knew it was them. I think it is more likely that he was asleep, heard commotion at his front door, and went to check it out. When you wake up to commotion, you aren't going to process it fast enough to make a rational decision. I'm sure most of us, when waking up to banging on your door late at knight, would grab the gun and prepare for a fight. From the layout of the apartment, it looks like he would hear the "police warrant" as mumbles. I know I did, and my bedroom window is right next to the door. I just heard some guys screaming and banging on my door, "police open up", but it first sounded like mumbles at 3 a.m. and I was asleep. It wasn't till I got to the door that I realized what was going on. I opened the door and had two dumb asses with guns in my face yelling my neighbors name. "Uh, no, this is not the address", I told them. Then they left to my neighbors house.

In my experience of waking up to that, it took me to get to the door to realize what was going on. I had no guns at the time and thought one of my buddies was messing with me, which is probably the only reason why I was so calm about it. Seeing that it took this long for me to process, after waking up, I think I would have my firearm pointed at the door before I realize it's a SWAT team. Not that there is any reason for that. I gotta side with the guy on this one. Just because I know how disorienting that can be. I've seen videos of people with bats and stuff not being shot by cops. They are usually ordered to drop it. If these cops can differentiate a bat or club from a gun, I'd expect the guy, that shot in this vid, should be able to as well, and it all happened just as fast.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I don't know. It seems like they yelled it loud enough and several times. But like I said, I don't know.

And I don't know if I would open up the door for 2 police officers at 3:00am either. Tough call. If I had someone randomly banging on my door that late at night, regardless of what they were screaming, I'd probably be in my bedroom calling 911 with my gun in my hand. At least that's what I'd like to think I'd do.

eeevans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Yeah, this is a situation I'm not sure what to do. We have kick burglaries down here in Houston with the assailants yelling police as they come in and tie you up. I keep my gun by my bed and would have grabbed it and been at the bedroom door when they busted in yelling. If they mistake my house for my neighbors and come in like this video instead of waiting for someone to answer a door knock like your story, I'm a dead man.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Police Kill Man In Drug Raid Gone Wrong (VIDEO)

No knock raid.. they announced police and are wearing uniforms..dude is standing there brandishing a large metal object at close distance = him getting shot. Unfortunate, but it happens fast and that is real life. he should have dropped the club. Family is going to sue? No shiat. They usually do. That is nothing to be excited about.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I am going with he was in a defensive posture, not offensive. Sucks for the guy who got shot but lets face it, gun trumps club at that distance. That and my "wrong" address story trumps JColubus's by several magnitudes.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    I am going with he was in a defensive posture, not offensive. Sucks for the guy who got shot but lets face it, gun trumps club at that distance. That and my "wrong" address story trumps JColubus's by several magnitudes.

I agree. Let's hear the story man! Mine wasn't very exciting. These guys were truly idiots. Plain clothes with PC's, badges and guns. They looked kind of scared too. The odd thing was, that there was no vehicle in sight and only two guys. I knew my neighbor was involved in drugs but I had no clue it was that bad. One time some Juarez guys game by and asked my brother who was hear to give them a note. It stated shit like, "we don't want to kill you, but will". I'm glad their gone now. No trouble since.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    No knock raid.. they announced police and are wearing uniforms..dude is standing there brandishing a large metal object at close distance = him getting shot.

No knock and immediate entry. ( no real problem with this when not derailed as this one was by other issues)
    Then no real opportunity for the guy to do as told. The shots followed the command almost immediately.
    The admitted lack of planning, the knowledge that who they were really after wasn't there, this whole thing stinks from the outset.

DPMS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    Personally I did not see him running at the police. Looked like he was just standing there but still, he was told the police were there and he seemed to already know.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Personally I did not see him running at the police. Looked like he was just standing there but still, he was told the police were there and he seemed to already know.

No running, but when making an entry on a warrant you do not stand in the door. You have to keep moving in as the doorway is known as a very dangerous place to be and people are stacked up behind you coming in.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012

The shooting cop admits it didn't appear that he was advancing. I don't believe he already knew. Nothing indicates he DID. Especially the golf club. He looked spooked and disoriented like any one els would if you thought intruders were coming to rob you. As anyone who has different opinions state, it happened so fast. Some people can't process info that fast. The article also states that it was his room mate who had already moved out, that was selling the drugs, he was just a user. This also indicates he wouldn't expect to be raided by the cops and probably thought it was a burglar.

eeevans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    I watched it again and it sounds like 3 or 4 officers yelling 'police search warrant' out of sync of each other...made it hard to understand.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    I watched it again and it sounds like 3 or 4 officers yelling 'police search warrant' out of sync of each other...made it hard to understand.

I absolutely agree. I listened to it a few times. I knew what they were probably yelling, and it was still hard to understand. Imagine waking from a sound sleep and hearing that shit going on. Golf club in hand and drawing it back doesn't constitute charging the intruders. In my opinion the cops killed this dude needlessly.

"Did somebody grab a copy of the warrant off my desk?"
    Burnett replies: "Oh, don't tell me that." He then complains to the other officers: "He doesn't have a copy of the warrant."
    Minutes later, Blair would be dead. "I didn't think about saying words. I just thought about not getting hit, or slashed or whatever," Burnett told investigators, saying that he thought the golf club was "a sword or something." He also said that it did not appear to him that Blair was moving toward him, an admission that could prove crucial in a federal criminal or civil case.

So, they entered without a warrant in hand. It kinda makes a difference doesn't it?

Last edited:

Jherico

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Clearlake
    I respect the Police for what they put up with every day, but this is too much. It looks more like Iraqi war footage than a police raid. The guy was standing under a light, not moving, not resisting, not advancing, middle of the night, no-knock entry, no commands given, no chance at all really. Worse kind of tragedy. No bad guys just bad judgement and bad training. All to catch a drug dealer who aint worth two cents.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    If they had the wrong house, REGARDLESS of how loud they screamed "POLICE!! SEARCH WARRANT", the fault is on them. You DO not go into a situation or scenario where someone might even remotely be injured much less killed, without quadruple checking to make sure your information is right and your sources are credible. I have nothing against the police personally, but I can imagine a D.A. trying to hold a home-owner responsible for shooting a S.W.A.T. officer in self-defense in a situation like this, even if he lived in an area where armed burglars used the "POLICE!" tactic to surprise their victims like JColumbus described.

In this case, if they had the right house but the guy ran out anyway with that club -- a potentially lethal weapon -- then there really is nothing more than can be done, because they did the best they could given the circumstances; it only takes a second or two for that guy to cross the room and whack you upside the head with it if he means to.

Top Bottom