• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    Most commonly, you'll get a text with a string of numbers to enter. It slows down the login process by a minute but it increases the security of your login process by orders of magnitude.
    For the love of God, please don't make visiting this forum conditional on a cell phone signal!

Something went wrong on my phone about 2 weeks ago so that it won't call or text over WiFi. I couldn't communicate with my wife until we got to Panama yesterday. I tried to use WhatsApp and they want to verify my number by sending me a text. If I could text, I wouldn't need WhatsApp!

Please remember us little guys that go weeks and sometimes months without cell phone service if/when you set up any 2FA.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    For the love of God, please don't make visiting this forum conditional on a cell phone signal!

Something went wrong on my phone about 2 weeks ago so that it won't call or text over WiFi. I couldn't communicate with my wife until we got to Panama yesterday. I tried to use WhatsApp and they want to verify my number by sending me a text. If I could text, I wouldn't need WhatsApp!

Please remember us little guys that go weeks and sometimes months without cell phone service if/when you set up any 2FA.
    It emails you your code.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Ben, I haven’t figured out how to pm on TGT. Kevin has my number but when I tried to call him just now it said invalid. Can one of you contact me? I have a couple concerns that may involve us all
    Thanks
    Darren
    @dlbleak Welcome to TGT. Sorry it had to be under the circumstances that they are.
    What is 2FA?

Two Factor Authentication.

Basically, when you log in and give your password, the software asks you for an additional piece of information that only you should possess.

Most commonly, you'll get a text with a string of numbers to enter. It slows down the login process by a minute but it increases the security of your login process by orders of magnitude.

Unfortunately, the forum software is not set up to provide that extra bit of information via text which is the simplest and most convenient way to do it. This forum uses either an app on your phone (which is convenient in the long run though it requires you to install an app to make it work the first time) or it sends you an email.

2FA is not mandatory for regular users but it's smart. It's now mandatory for staff.
    I saw where @Darkpriest667 mentioned that and was going to ask as well.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    @dlbleak Welcome to TGT. Sorry it had to be under the circumstances that they are.

If you’re interested in turning it on, got to your account, then password and security
    dc30734cdc46a188828f7a02024e810c.jpg

From there, select “change” under two-step verification

3db676ae70117df44d1fccff8895b6df.jpg

You still need to ensure the “remain logged in” option is deselcted when you sign in.

dlbleak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Edmond, ok

If you’re interested in turning it on, got to your account, then password and security
    dc30734cdc46a188828f7a02024e810c.jpg

From there, select “change” under two-step verification

3db676ae70117df44d1fccff8895b6df.jpg

You still need to ensure the “remain logged in” option is deselcted when you sign in.
    Thanks guys, Ben turned it on for me.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    FWIW, MFA/2FA that emails a code is not as secure as texting the code or messaging it to a completely separate app. (do not get me wrong, I am NOT advocating for texting codes)
    Often hackers gain access to one's email and from there, it is very easy to gain access via "I forgot my pwd" links in PayPal, forums and other online outlets.
    Or at least if I was a hacker, that's how I would choose to do it. Because it is easy for the hacker to go through the email box and see what forums the user is receiving notifications from and then it's just a matter of trial&error to find a PayPal, Venmo or other money account by using the hijacked email.
    I do not receive forum notifications so a hacker would have a hard time connecting me to any forums online. :)
    I utilize more than one emails as well to make it harder to connect my identity across the internet for exploitation.
    Heck, I don't even use the same username on forums. I used to but then I realized how easy it is to track and abuse.

Glad things got resolved here and settled. It sucks when we get taken advantage of by crooks.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    FWIW, MFA/2FA that emails a code is not as secure as texting the code
    True. I chose not to delve into the finer points of 2FA because I'm not competent to speak on the subject...but even I realize that using email is less secure than a text or separate app, if only because that puts all the verification work on the same platforms.

I utilize more than one emails as well to make it harder to connect my identity across the internet for exploitation.
    Good point. I have several, including a last-ditch, if-everything-goes-to-Hell option of an email that I've held in reserve with a small European ISP for over 20 years. Nobody knows that one but, if I had to, I could rebuild my online life again by starting with it.

But how much security is enough? How many layers does a person need? That's a choice everyone has to make for themselves.

In the instant case and as a practical matter, 2FA via email is better than no 2FA. It's mandatory for staff and I recommend it for everyone, especially after this scare.

And I salute the folks who will be installing a third-party app for even better 2FA protection.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I can't make the app load. It scans then says it can't be opened. Used the email, it worked
    Don't know what a FIDO is

Top Bottom