APOD Firearms

Had a small fire in the garage, lucked out.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    S.A.
    Was hanging out reading the latest installment of Guns and Ammo on Monday night when all of a sudden my wife and I hear glass shatter. We look at each other and she says "Do you smell something burning?" I jump up with urgency and dash to the garage to see one of my toolboxes and radios on fire. I shut the top of the tool box to cut off some oxygen and open the garage door to access the waterhose nearby. Luckly, I was quickly able to douse the fire and put it out.
    I'm still not too sure what caused the fire. Behind the toolbox I had a power strip, possibly had a nick in the cord. I also had some boxes of nails and screws in the top of the toolbox but not too sure what could have ignited it. Had to pack up and leave for the night cause the house filled up with smoke and the smell of burnt plastic. The only reason I heard it in time was because my beer mug on the radio which got so hot it exploded. Thank God everything and everyone is fine and I just lost a toolbox and radio. We just purchased a new vehicle on Saturday for my wife which was in the garage. Luckily it is fine as well. A big thanks to the guys and gal of the SAFD station off of Thousand Oaks. Great response time. Needless to say I put a smoke detector in the garage yesterday.
    fire.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Wow you were lucky. Things could have gotten out of hand fast.
    Especially with all the aerosol cans directly above the fire.

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    The pieces of that beer mug deserve a special place on your mantel in the style of the sword from Lord of the Rings...

Attachments

• SwordOfTheKings.jpg
      SwordOfTheKings.jpg
      22.5 KB · Views: 71

6speed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    S.A.
    Thanks guys, I have checked all cords in house to make sure they are in operable condition. As for reacting I figured a bad plan executed is better than a great plan not executed. I should thank the Coast Guard for previous training I've had and to help me stay in control of such situations. As for the mug I kept the piece that has my name etched in it and it will be put somewhere so I never forget it. It was a good mug and served me well.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Was hanging out reading the latest installment of Guns and Ammo on Monday night when all of a sudden my wife and I hear glass shatter. We look at each other and she says "Do you smell something burning?" I jump up with urgency and dash to the garage to see one of my toolboxes and radios on fire. I shut the top of the tool box to cut off some oxygen and open the garage door to access the waterhose nearby. Luckly, I was quickly able to douse the fire and put it out.
    I'm still not too sure what caused the fire. Behind the toolbox I had a power strip, possibly had a nick in the cord. I also had some boxes of nails and screws in the top of the toolbox but not too sure what could have ignited it. Had to pack up and leave for the night cause the house filled up with smoke and the smell of burnt plastic. The only reason I heard it in time was because my beer mug on the radio which got so hot it exploded. Thank God everything and everyone is fine and I just lost a toolbox and radio. We just purchased a new vehicle on Saturday for my wife which was in the garage. Luckily it is fine as well. A big thanks to the guys and gal of the SAFD station off of Thousand Oaks. Great response time. Needless to say I put a smoke detector in the garage yesterday.
    So your saying the Beer mug didn't make it? I'm sorry for your loss.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Makes you wanna have a few more of the big fire extinguishers, HUH?

Ive had my own little fire fights before. I bet I have half a dozen fire ext's though out the house and three in the garage.

thack1963

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Glad your all OK. But damn, now I have to check all the cords in my shop and install a smoke alarm out there. I do woodwork and other hobbies in the Garage, if something started out there, it could cause big problems. Seeing this, I just realized I don't have any that cover my shop, attached garage. Bad JuJu.
    Fire extinguisher just moved up the list of MUST BUY.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Happy to hear the fire got contained quickly. SAFD gets to fires quickly!

Most home fires break out in the garage or kitchen.

My garage is ripe for disaster, simply because I keep one car parked in it with the battery hooked up to a float charger, all my gasoline powered yard machines, and have paints and solvents stored therein.

Your post is a wake-up call: Note to self: Quit smoking in the garage with all that flammable crap around!

Not to be snide, but it is better to try to snuff a garage fire with fire extinguishers, than to open the garage door and give wind to the fire.

jbcalhoun

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Midland, TX.
    You were lucky to be home when the fire happened.

Glad you are all ok.

Now time for me to check my stuff in the shop as I have batteries on the charger all the time. Maybe not now.

Thanks for sharing.

Brad

Top Bottom