• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    AM seeking opinions and insights from TGT family... Last night's hail storm hit my place with golfball size hail and smaller. I had a new roof put on this place back in August 2023, there is a warranty on the singles from Owens Corning, but only for manufactures defects.

Here is my question: Should I contact the company that installed the roof first: to have them come out and look at the roof and get their opinion before I contact State Farm about possible roof damage. Hail did break a window and broke a panel out on the greenhouse, so I have to report anyway. The window needs to be replaced ASAP . Thanks...
    Venture Surplus ad

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    My brother just went though this.

A storm chaser repair guy is going to find 10X more stuff that can be claimed than your insurance inspector. They know the buzz words to use with the insurance adjuster and hell may even pay them off lol.

Not only did he get his roof replaced but things like dents in his ac unit dents in his garage doors that you had to press your head against it squint and hop up and down to see but you could see them. Dings in window frames .

After filing the claim and its approved. You get cut a check for +- 2/3rds of the total amount so you can get the job started. When finished you get the remainder.

Now if your sleazy you don't have to do all the repairs you don't have to go with the original roofer and you can get away with pocketing some cash out of it.

In order to get a new roof he just has to find X amount of damage even slight damage in a certain amount of room.

The payout is kind of strange even if your roof is 20 years old they will say they are going to give you depreciated value for it but when the work is done they pay the total cost -your deductible anyways.

I did not get that part but your storm chaser repair guy will know how to explain it.

Out buildings my or may not becovered depending on your policy

Its best to have it inspected by your independent guy then have your guy meet with the adjuster when the adjuster comes out for his inspection.

Last edited:

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    My brother just went though this.

A storm chaser repair guy is going to find 10X more stuff that can be claimed than your insurance inspector. They know the buzz words to use with the insurance adjuster and hell may even pay them off lol.

Not only did he get his roof replaced but things like dents in his ac unit dents in his garage doors that you had to press your head against it squint and hop up and down to see but you could see them. Dings in window frames .

After filing the claim and its approved. You get cut a check for +- 2/3rds of the total amount so you can get the job started. When finished you get the remainder.

Now if your sleazy you don't have to do all the repairs you don't have to go with the original roofer and you can get away with pocketing some cash out of it.

In order to get a new roof he just has to find X amount of damage even slight damage in a certain amount of room.

The payout is kind of strange even if your roof is 20 years old they will say they are going to give you depreciated value for it but when the work is done they pay the total cost -your deductible anyways.

I did not get that part but your storm chaser repair guy will know how to explain it.

Out buildings my or may not becovered depending on your policy

Its best to have it inspected by your independent guy then have your guy meet with the adjuster when the adjuster comes out for his inspection.
    Not sure where you got the impression I was referring to a storm chaser guy. My question was about contacting the company that installed the roof.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    AM seeking opinions and insights from TGT family... Last night's hail storm hit my place with golfball size hail and smaller. I had a new roof put on this place back in August 2023, there is a warranty on the singles from Owens Corning, but only for manufactures defects.

Here is my question: Should I contact the company that installed the roof first: to have them come out and look at the roof and get their opinion before I contact State Farm about possible roof damage. Hail did break a window and broke a panel out on the greenhouse, so I have to report anyway. The window needs to be replaced ASAP . Thanks...
    Can't hurt to have them come out and assess. This will give you info for when you have SF come out.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Not sure where you got the impression I was referring to a storm chaser guy. My question was about contacting the company that installed the roof.
    shrug I was just informing you how to get the most out of your claim.

A roofing guy may have never dealt with a claims adjuster. May not know that that small depression in a shingle will over time crumble and cause a leak may not know to check for other external damage.

Just because someone can change the oil in a car don't mean he can replace a transmission

Dont forget I am Shady ;)

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Well his screen name is Shady, just saying. The house I had in Houston roof had hail damage. I called the insurance guy, cutting out the shady guy. My insurance company agreed & said find a roofing contractor & they would pay the roofer.

It just so happened that a childhood friend of my wife husband was roofer. He came out & looked at it. My roof actually had 2 sets of cedar shakes with composite on top of that. He told me pick out weekend I wanted it done. He was it will save on the permit cost. They came out tore off all the rooves & knocked it out Saturday & Sunday. He gave me back like $1,500.00 & thanked me.

I was really happy until the A/C drain stopped working. I go up in the attic & everything is covered in 40 years of roofing debris. Even better one of more drunken guys dropped his hammer on the drain line giving it a nice bow.

The drain pan leak was after me 14 hour day. I certainly did not want to be in the attic. Coming down I stepped off if a rafter falling through the sheet rock, then falling down the attic stairs. It wouldn't be complete without spilling all of the drain pan water. When the wet ceiling finally gave way it clipped my baboons nose.

I have yet to go Ito an attic since this. From what I have been told the one here at the new house is rather nice.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Please don't do what @Shady is recommending. Storm chaser "roofers" are analogous to ambulance chaser attorneys. If you found one that "pays off" adjusters not only are you hiring a felon but you're hoping your adjuster is equally as morally casual. Probably not someone you want to do business with. Now, a decent adjuster should be looking for hard to find damages like tiny dents to a garage door but if you're squinting or getting a microscope and having to search for them, go find something else in your life to do. It'd be like buying a used car then complaining the trunk latch has excess wear and tear so you want $40 off the price. Hunting super hard for miniscule damages is usually someone hunting for fluff to make a bigger commission and most of the time full of brown.

Don't be sleazy and demand your insurance pay for damages then just don't do them. That is profiting from a loss, against the law, and next time you allege damages, you may not be paid for it again. Plus you're telling your contractor who found those damages he isn't getting paid on them because you wanted paper in your pocket. Thats on your moral conscience; how scummy of a person are you?

A roofing guy may have never dealt with a claims adjuster. May not know that that small depression in a shingle will over time crumble and cause a leak may not know to check for other external damage.
    If a roofer cannot identify hail damage they're not a roofer. And a hail strike smaller than about 1.5 inches does damage the shingle, but the "over time" claim is so nebulous. I've been on 30 year old 3-tab roofs still shedding (most) water. It reduces the overall lifespan of the shingle and won't necessarily result in a leak. Roofs that never get hailed on sometimes result in leaks. Its a baloney speculation.

If you liked the roofer/contractor that did the work less than a year ago you're certainly welcome to call them and they'll likely do a free inspection. The mark of a good roofer or any other contractor isn't their agreeability to work with insurance and get your roof replaced; the mark of a good roofer is knowing it hailed in the area and saying you don't have damage or shouldn't put in a claim. Thats them turning down about $6-8000 in profit because you just don't need a roof. You have to keep in mind, 95% of roofers in Texas don't get paid unless you file an insurance claim which is why so many will just have you file one to "roll the dice" with an adjuster. They don't care if you put claims on your policy.

If a window broke and a greenhouse panel is missing, take half a dozen photos from every possible angle, record a little 15 second video clip showing very clearly the damages before it is repaired. Taking photos and video is free and gets stored on the cloud forever for free. This costs you less than a minute of your time. And you are correct; replace necessary things like windows immediately, save the receipt, save photos of before and after so that if you do decide to go through with a claim you can add those items onto your claim.

You should also find out how much your deductible is. Is that money burning such a hole in your pocket you want to put in another roof claim less than a year after replacing it and spring (hail season) is just getting started.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    lol ya we know all insurance companies are on the up in up and only looking to help everyone and looking for ways to lower your rates nothing shady at all about them.

I am sure the adjuster will record every issue that happened from the hail storm. Anything missed I am sure was a total accident.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    lol ya we know all insurance companies are on the up in up and only looking to help everyone and looking for ways to lower your rates nothing shady at all about them.

I am sure the adjuster will record every issue that happened from the hail storm. Anything missed I am sure was a total accident.
    Depends on the insurance company and the adjuster.

I was fortunate with TFB last year. Adjuster noted everything the roofer did and actually picked up on a couple of screens and a little damage to outbuildings.

Back with SF, I had to fight to get the roof replaced.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    In my stint as one affiliated with "private adjusters", it takes a pretty good person to locate the real damages. Composite shingles, if damaged by hail impact can have a seriously shortened lifespan. If the hail was very heavy and the size you mentioned, I would highly suspect the need for the replacement of your roof is likely. SF, has been known in the past as being very difficult to recover losses. They many times send out very uneducated inspectors, especially when an area has suffered a large number of claims, most often due to the lack of manpower.

I no longer do that type of work, but I know someone who could probably help you. When I worked for him, we handled more than 10K claims, and helped to recover money for more than 95% of the clients.

If you have a valid claim and the insurance company does not want to reimburse you for ALL needed repairs a lawyer may be needed.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    As a brief follow up, on many new homes thinner sheathing is used, when hail in substantial amounts impact the surface, nail pops can occur. High winds can lift shingles, roof vents can be damaged. I would start with your original roofer, but don't be afraid of getting a second opinion.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Please don't do what @Shady is recommending. Storm chaser "roofers" are analogous to ambulance chaser attorneys. If you found one that "pays off" adjusters not only are you hiring a felon but you're hoping your adjuster is equally as morally casual. Probably not someone you want to do business with. Now, a decent adjuster should be looking for hard to find damages like tiny dents to a garage door but if you're squinting or getting a microscope and having to search for them, go find something else in your life to do. It'd be like buying a used car then complaining the trunk latch has excess wear and tear so you want $40 off the price. Hunting super hard for miniscule damages is usually someone hunting for fluff to make a bigger commission and most of the time full of brown.

Don't be sleazy and demand your insurance pay for damages then just don't do them. That is profiting from a loss, against the law, and next time you allege damages, you may not be paid for it again. Plus you're telling your contractor who found those damages he isn't getting paid on them because you wanted paper in your pocket. Thats on your moral conscience; how scummy of a person are you?

If a roofer cannot identify hail damage they're not a roofer. And a hail strike smaller than about 1.5 inches does damage the shingle, but the "over time" claim is so nebulous. I've been on 30 year old 3-tab roofs still shedding (most) water. It reduces the overall lifespan of the shingle and won't necessarily result in a leak. Roofs that never get hailed on sometimes result in leaks. Its a baloney speculation.

If you liked the roofer/contractor that did the work less than a year ago you're certainly welcome to call them and they'll likely do a free inspection. The mark of a good roofer or any other contractor isn't their agreeability to work with insurance and get your roof replaced; the mark of a good roofer is knowing it hailed in the area and saying you don't have damage or shouldn't put in a claim. Thats them turning down about $6-8000 in profit because you just don't need a roof. You have to keep in mind, 95% of roofers in Texas don't get paid unless you file an insurance claim which is why so many will just have you file one to "roll the dice" with an adjuster. They don't care if you put claims on your policy.

If a window broke and a greenhouse panel is missing, take half a dozen photos from every possible angle, record a little 15 second video clip showing very clearly the damages before it is repaired. Taking photos and video is free and gets stored on the cloud forever for free. This costs you less than a minute of your time. And you are correct; replace necessary things like windows immediately, save the receipt, save photos of before and after so that if you do decide to go through with a claim you can add those items onto your claim.

You should also find out how much your deductible is. Is that money burning such a hole in your pocket you want to put in another roof claim less than a year after replacing it and spring (hail season) is just getting started.
    This is correct. I handled litigation, which resulted from insurance companies, and insureds, bad faith, and fraudulent claims submissions. Call your roofer, he will assist you. Let your company know you have a trusted contractor. If they do not work with him, contact the TDI. www.tdi.texas.gov.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Nothing wrong with getting your roofer involved. Most likely the SF folks will not be coming by tomorrow due to multiple claims. But the early bird does get the worm. The sooner you contact the quicker they can respond. Also check on your deductible. Most companies now have a 1% of insured value. So a home valued at $350,000 has a $3,500 deductible. Abit of change to absorb

Steve In Texas

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2023
    Austin, Texas
    My suggestions: Talk first to a reputable long term local roofer. State Farm will send hail trained adjusters into your area if the storm was significant. I just had a roof done last hail season with State Farm. The roofer who put your roof on will likely be the best local to use.

I'd personally ignore storm chasers.

Most importantly: Anybody who says they can cut you a super good deal should be dealt with using all the skepticism you can come with. They are possibly commiting insurance fraud or worse.

I must have had 30 folks knock on my door. Of that most were polite and at least partially knowledgeable. A handful were suggesting less than reputable options. Be careful out there.

Your insurance agent should also be a good resource. Although I have had grumbles about State Farm over the years, I am still using them 30 years later.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom