• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueR32

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    SA TX
    Feelin kinda frisky tonight, so I decided to have a go at polishing the bolt outa my 870. It's not a mirror finish, but it's way cleaner and shinier then what it was. Also tightened everything up since it was all apart anyway. 500 grit wet sand and 1200 grit wet sand followed by Mother's mag polish.

before:
    before.jpg

after an hour or so:
    after.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I bought a buffer and polishing rouge at Harbor Freight for a few bucks. It does a great job of polishing gun parts!

Flash

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Brownells sells the electroless nickel bolts for the Marine Magnum. I got one by accident for my 870 build. Shiny and won't rust.

tywoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    Paragould AR
    You should try a process called melonite or tenifer. I know i guy that can coat bolts for $15, rifle barrels for $70, hand guns $75, and shotguns for $45. This process is used on s&w mp and xd. Under a different name though isonite. The process prevents rust, is corrosion resistant, gives increases lubricity on your bolts, and also hardens the steel. Great Process.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Those are nitriding processes. Leaves a very hard and corrosion resistant surface. I think the dark color is just another type of finish added after the process though.

mucho12ga

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Houston
    I did this to an 870 police bolt and it has yet to show a single sign of rust. Once you have a dremel and some fitz polish everything appears that it would look better as stainless. :)

Top Bottom