• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    It's just to bad that doesn't say gun. :rolleyes: Shorts is right. If you come across a gun salesmen trying to push something on you that you don't like (I mean gun wise) :rolleyes: then walk out and disregard what he told you, because he probably does not know WTF he is talking about.

Hey, I can't always hang them over the plate for you guys

haha edit
    Gun Zone Deals

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    But, I CAN put a hip harness on, put what little bit of shirt tail I have over it, and then wear my over the shoulder/body purse where the pouch part of the purse lays over the gun on my hip. Unfortunately, this is about as good as it gets. Either that...or get a knew wardrobe. lol

HTH,
    April

Thanks April. I'll pass this on to my wife. Covering a pistol on your hip with a purse is so blatantly obvious I feel like an idiot for not thinking of this myself.

Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    Thank you all SO much, each and every one of you, for the replies. The information you gave is overwhelming...in a good way! I'll have to ponder it for a while. Some of it sounds like Greek, I don't even understand what you said. I think the most important thing that I walk away with is to try every size and type of gun out to see what fits me the best. I was eager to go out and buy a gun but now I see I should wait a while to make sure I make an educated purchase. Of course money is a factor but it's not the leading factor in purchasing a gun. I don't want to throw money away. I want a solid, reliable gun fit for purpose. I'll pay for that. Once I buy my gun I'll enroll in CHL class. Also plan to go to the range as much as possible.

I have spent much of my life shooting a shotgun and rifle. I've gone to a range to shoot handguns once and fell in love that day. I shot a 22 and a 45. Who can't shoot a .22 but I hit dead on target eight times out of about 50 shots and in the target every other time. The 45 was obviously a much heavier gun but I liked the feel of the weight. I look forward to seeing what gun I actually land on.

I'm from the Houston area. Several of you have mentioned the gun clubs in DFW. Maybe one day I'll make it up there to shoot. You sound like a great group of people. Be forwarned, I'm probably not your typical right-winger Texas gal. Hopefully you'd open up your range to me even if I'm not the gun toting winger. Gun toting - yes, in the future. Right winger, well, just not there. But what is life without a challenge?

Thanks again to everyone! And thank you to Hoji for the "cornered cat" link. That is the coolest site!

And thanks to the ladies who posted up. It's nice to get your perspective. We have some unique challenges as women but it shouldn't stop us from ever hitting our target.

God bless you all.

Phoebe Ann

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I Right winger, well, just not there. But what is life without a challenge
    Phoebe Ann

I can not speak for everyone on the forum, or even those I know but I'm pretty sure when I say no matter what your political lean is, you'd be welcome (but I can't help but wonder if you could say that for the lefties... but I degres) Try to hook up with some of the Houston folks. In my experiance, 99.9% of us right wing, constituional loving, gun folks are very eager to welcome anyone. You might get some lively conversation, but I doubt anyone would ever be hateful.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Don't hesitate to point out anything that sounds like Greek to you. If you have a question just ask, I'm sure we'll do our best to help you figure it out. And I don't hold your political leanings against you. It's your friends I would blame. Just kidding I think differing political beliefs are one of the things that make this country great. Not all country's can openly discuss politics without fear of reciprocation, if we lose that we lose everything.:patriot: Keep on keepin on with the gun choice, I know it can get frustrating trying to find the right one. But you'll find the one for you.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Right Wingers? No, our label has got to Right Wing Extremists. : P

If you are going to be PC, then use the propper PC term.

I'm just hasseling you, : ) but gun beliefs aren't an indicator of other political beliefs. It just so happens that a lot of the poeple that belief in the right to own guns have a stricker belief in the constitution, seeing that it is written in there.

Good luck with finding the right gun. Have fun, be safe.

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Phoebe Ann keep on with your search. I've taken notes with thoughts about hand fit, recoil, etc.... when helping folks pick a pistol out.
    Smith & Wesson M&P Compact, and Springfield Armory EMP are some other guns to try.

Many places that teach the CHL course have rental guns for you to use. You might consider going ahead with the CHL process, it takes a while, before you decide on a pistol.

Tom Given's book, Fighting Smarter and his DVD "Concealed Carry for Self Defense" are excellent sources of information.

Feel free to ask questions or for clarification of posts here or PM folks.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    And thank you to Hoji for the "cornered cat" link. That is the coolest site!
    Phoebe Ann

You are quite welcome. If you are going to be in the Austin area you might try Lone Star Gun Range. Matt has plenty of rental guns{ and is a FFL now} If you are in town for the Fourth, he is having a free range day.

Free BBQ {while it lasts}
    Free range fees
    Free gun rentals{ You do have to buy his ammo but it is reasonably priced}

And there will be plenty of instructors on hand to help.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    There is goingto be a good sized group here going to the Beginner Tactical night at Shiloh on Tuesday, you might want to drop by, there should be a good variety of hand guns for you to try out that night, and I cant speak for all, but you are welcome to give mine a try....

Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    Ok, here goes:

Big Country - you encouraged me to ask questions. I KNOW you all know what 1911 is but I don't. Can someone explain?

Hoji - I go to Austin quite often. If I become a gun range groupie, I'll be sure to check out Lone Star. Maybe I could plan a whole vacation around this theme...see how many gun ranges I can hit on vacation. Maybe a new movie theme?

Fm2 - thank you for the heads up on the book and DVD. I'll put them on my list of stuff to get. My friends would get such a kick out of all this...websites, books on guns, dvds, I'm going all out! NRA sticker on the lil' suv is next.

Texas42 - I didn't want to call you an Extremist because I'm new here. But since you opened the door... :p

DirtyD - If I head out to Shiloh, what should I bring, besides money? Taking into consideration that I don't have a gun but would love to try out any guns that were available to me.

Thanks everyone. The encouragement means a lot to me!

Phoebe

PS - I love these smilies. I'm gonna use them every time I post. ;)

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Bring yourself, and it would be courteous to provide your own ammo if you plan to shoot alot, personally I have no problem donating 50 rounds of 9mm and as much .22 as you can handle to your cause should you decide to show up. Other than that a good attitude and an open mind.... Look forward to seeing you there!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Ok, here goes:

Big Country - you encouraged me to ask questions. I KNOW you all know what 1911 is but I don't. Can someone explain?

1911 is the year, the gun genius John Browning invented that auto loading pistol design and that is what the design is called. It was the US military side arm up until the 1980’s (doing that from memory and anyone, feel free to correct that date) Although there are many many enhancements available to the basic design today, it is still basically the same, and the foundation of virtually all auto loading pistols today. 1911’s are mostly .45 ACP which is a big, heavy bullet that moves out a relatively slow speed, but because it is so big and heavy, its a very good defense round.They are single action only, which is rather hard to explain, but you would understand once you learn the manual of arms. They are meant to be carried cocked and locked. (see my picture, the hammer is back in the strike position, and the safety is on) Back in WWII, it was said there were two types of solders in fox holes... ones that had a 1911 and those that wished they did.

1911-3A1_OPM.gif

Here is a picture of mine. It’s a Springfield “loaded” model, and an very nice gun.

1911-3A1_OPM.gif

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    DirtyD - If I head out to Shiloh, what should I bring, besides money? Taking into consideration that I don't have a gun but would love to try out any guns that were available to me.

I'd also suggest you find yourself a pair of safety glasses and some of the cheap foam ear plugs. Lot's of different ear muffs are available, but maybe you can try those out too before spending money on them. You'll want to wear appropriate clothing. Nothing fancy, but keep in mind that the semi-auto pistols eject a VERY HOT cartridge out the side. Don't wear any clothing that will catch a hot cartridge from a nearby shooter. A t-shirt should be fine. You might also want to bring a bottle of water. Time flies when you're having fun.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Excellent, sometimes I take certain things for granted... Shiloh does have eyes and ears available if you do not have any. I would recomend a collared shirt and closed toed shoes as well....

Phoebe Ann

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Houston ish
    Someone mentioned PM. How do I do that once I sign in? I have some simple questions that would probably be better over private message. I could drag this thread out for months if I asked every question that's on my mind.

navy guy - thank you for the explanation. You have given great information. And such a beatiful gun. I think at this point every gun is beautiful to me. >What a newbie I am.< :p As DirtyD said, yous guys might take it for granted but even the simplest things are gems to me.

F350-6 - I asked my questions for the very reasons that you answered. Do I need to bring eye protection? Ear muffs? If ear plugs are fine, I have those. Just wasn't sure about all the other stuff. Thank you.

Thanks,

Phoebe

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Someone mentioned PM. How do I do that once I sign in? I have some simple questions that would probably be better over private message. I could drag this thread out for months if I asked every question that's on my mind.

If you look near the top right hand corner of the screen, you'll see a box that says "Welcome, Phoebe Ann". Right under that box is a thing that says private messages. If you click on that it will take you to the PM box, where you can see any PM's you might have. If there is a specific person you want to PM, if you click once on their name above their post, a little box will pop up. In that box, just click the "Send a private message..." thing and you can start typing one. Let me know if that makes sense. It's late and I'm too lazy to take a screenshot of it right now. ;)

Also, just fyi if you want to, this thread has some more info about shooting handguns that might help you get started a bit easier:

[url]http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/handguns-sponsored-pasadena-gun-center/3062-improving-your-skill-handguns.html[/URL]

Also, just a recommendation but, I would highly recommend buying this video as it will give you a big jump start on learning to shoot a handgun well:

[url]http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/training-competition/1192-dvd-review-tactical-response-shooting-missology.html[/URL]

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    WOW!!!!!! I missed a lot over the weekend. And yes Phoebe Ann That is exactly what I was talking about if you don't know what we are talking about just ask and as you can see the forum members in general have no problems giving you an answer. As to the question about the 1911 Navy guy beat me to it if you need any other questions answered don't be shy.

ColdDeadHands

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Houston, TX
    My wife likes her Kimber Ultra CDP 45 a lot but it's mainly locked up in the safe. Her favorite is a S&W M36 .38 snubby...we got it at a pawn shop for $300 otd. The Snubby is most likely what she'll carry once we get our CHL's.

Top Bottom