• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marine68

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    I cannot wrap my pea brain around having a handgun in a vehicle. The way I'm understanding it, the gun has to be concealed. My vehicles have the compartments on the side of the door. Is a gun considered concealed if I place it there? With the new open carry, where must the gun be placed in the vehicle if it's not strapped on your body in a waist or shoulder holster??
    Gun Zone Deals

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    When you open the door to enter/exit the vehicle, will the gun then be seen by anyone outside of the vehicle? If so, that won't work. They make holsters that strap up under your steering wheel. Those won't work either since they can be seen by an officer or anyone else who walks up to your window. It's that strict. One way to get around it that I've seen plenty of times and have even done myself - toss a rag over it. If it's in your door and sticking out, put a rag over it and tuck the rag into the door pocket so the rag stays put. Then, it's technically concealed. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble by doing that.

Welcome to the forum!

Odiferous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Evans, Georgia
    I keep my auto paperwork in the dash 'glove box' but my handgun in the console 'cubby' under the armrest.

Or I just keep it in my waistband holster under my shirt.

bob

Try not to keep your handgun and any paperwork (insurance, etc.) the LEO may want to see in the same compartment.

There's a bit of a difference between:

"I have a CHL and my handgun is on my person."

and

"My handgun is in the glove box I'm about to open."

Last edited:

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    So open carry is now legal but you can't do it in a car?

Yes. But with the same caveats as when out of the car - in a belt or shoulder holster. If you want it handier that in a belt holster, under a seat belt, then in the car, under a hanky. Truck holster 5 50%.jpg

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

That depends. If you have a CHL/LTC, you can OC in your vehicle as long as the weapon is in a holster.

However, those carrying under the Motorist Protection Act of 2008 must still continue to do so concealed.

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Try not to keep your handgun and any paperwork (insurance, etc.) the LEO may want to see in the same compartment.

There's a bit of a difference between:

"I have a CHL and my handgun is on my person."

and

"My handgun is in the glove box I'm about to open."

Just a suggestion, but it is smart to refrain from using the term "gun" when dealing with the police as it is an alert word for police officers.

It's better to use anything else ("pistol," "weapon," etc.) instead in case a second officer is nearby.

If he/she hears the word "gun," they may think it is the first officer notifying them of a weapon!

Cheers! M2

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    That depends. If you have a CHL/LTC, you can OC in your vehicle as long as the weapon is in a holster.

However, those carrying under the Motorist Protection Act of 2008 must still continue to do so concealed.

Cheers! M2
    Phew, that is what iI thought.....was getting nervous!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    in a belt or shoulder holster you can

this will be decided later through case law, I would guess. It just isn't perfectly clear for every situation
    it has to be "on or about your person" to me, that means if it is in my holster wedged in between the seats and it is resting against my leg, that is "about" my person

Last edited:
    Top Bottom