• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    Maybe some TX LEO's could help here, what constitutes a Handicap parking space in TX?

Is just the Handicap painting on the ground enough? I have seen the painting on the ground along with the blue signs in front of spaces. I have also seen just the sign and just the painting on the ground.

Which ones are legit? Are they all? Also does anyone know the policies on this concerning Military bases/Federal buildings and such?
    DK Firearms

CAL

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2008
    Bexar County
    They must be posted with a sign bearing the international symbol of access (person in wheelchair).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    A few things piss me off more than non-handicapped citizens using those spots designated for handicap access. I guess lazy people just piss me off in general.

I agree........and it pisses me off royally. But................I quit trying to diagnose who is handicapped and who wasn't just by observing them walk from their cars. Some folks may be severly handicapped (lung issues, etc.) but it's not apparent when you just see them get out of their car and walk 25 ft. into a store.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    A few things piss me off more than non-handicapped citizens using those spots designated for handicap access. I guess lazy people just piss me off in general.

I never (well almost never) see people parking in the handicap spaces that do not have either the plates or hang tag indicating they are lawful to do so. I do see people jump out of said vehicles and sprint to the store or where ever they're going, which makes me think maybe they are not the individual that was issued the tag, but since they are driving the car feel it's okay to park their since the car is tagged. Further, I can't remember the last time I've seen every handicap space utilized. Just an observation.

blackwater

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    odessa
    I never (well almost never) see people parking in the handicap spaces that do not have either the plates or hang tag indicating they are lawful to do so. I do see people jump out of said vehicles and sprint to the store or where ever they're going, which makes me think maybe they are not the individual that was issued the tag, but since they are driving the car feel it's okay to park their since the car is tagged. Further, I can't remember the last time I've seen every handicap space utilized. Just an observation.

Go to Wal Mart

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, given the relative ease of getting handicapped placards in this state (all it takes is a note from your doctor), and the excessive abuse I've seen (people I know are not handicapped, but who have a family member who is and still use the spots when they are not present), I am always wary of many of the people I see parking there.

Hell, given my 60% military medical disability, I could probably qualify if I wanted to press the issue; but I feel that those spots should be reserved for the physically handicapped and not fat, lazy shits who like to think their condition is due to something other than a lack of self-respect...

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    When I go to town I see a great deal of handicap plates (not just hang tags) because the little town I live close to is about 35+% retired folks and usually well up in age. If they see someone in a handicap space without a tag or plate, they will call the police and the local cops will come and issue a ticket or.........have it towed!

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    I parked in one a couple of days ago in Comanche....Wife just had serious back surgery, wished to enter the grocery store and walk a little pushing the basket along with my grocery shopping....A few minutes shopping done, she walked a bit as the Doctr ordered, we loaded up and drove away, No law enforcement problem, no ticket, I feel I was within reasonable use of the space...I certainly would not park in one of those spaces without a good reason like we had and I believe the County Judge would tend to agree were it a case in his Court...I will not park in one of those spaces again because she is beginning to walk better and it would not be needed, as well as illegal as it was when we did that....

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Move to Georgetown. Home of Sun City and some of the slowest drivers you'll ever sit behind. You'll see a great deal of handicap plates and placards that people seem to never remove from their mirror.

Story about people accusing others of not being in the right using a handicap plate. I'd had multiple surgeries on my ankle and knee and so I'd finally gotten off of crutches and was on a cane. One time took my too grandmothers and my mother out shopping to Kohl's. Parked my grandmother's car in a handicap spot and then got her walker out. My other grandmother, mom and I followed inside. Whilst inside Kohl's it began to rain so instead of all of us getting wet I hobbled out to the car and pulled it around. Evidently another gentlemen saw this and while I was getting in he proceeded to remind me to get my teenage ass (I was 24 at the time) in a spot that wasn't handicapped. I quickly got out of the car and asked him if he'd like to fish my cane out of his ass as he earned his own placard. It gets even funnier when I get to the curb and start loading them up the guy walks by and unbeknownst to me my grandmother with the walker, who was feisty, proceeded to remind the guy to mind his own f*ckin' business, and that he should have better things to do than to be a lousy S.O.B. that doesn't give a damn about little old ladies. Needless to say the guy couldn't run into the store fast enough.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I park my car in handicapped spaces while handicapped people make handicapped faces cause I'm an a$$ hole.
    That song got stuck in my head as soon as I read the title of this thread.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    There was a little old lady up north that used to slash the tires of any car she noted in a handicapped spot without the sticker. It took quite a long time for the Police to find her. However...

While working for a company in town we advertised for warehouse help. Kid showed up for the interview and parked in the handicapped spot just as my boss was getting back from lunch. He had the sticker in the window and the plate. He was asked about the ability to get to work early or stay late and said that as he did not own a car and had to borrow his fathers it could be a problem. Turned out he never had to worry about being late for work, at least not at that job...

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    There was a little old lady up north that used to slash the tires of any car she noted in a handicapped spot without the sticker. It took quite a long time for the Police to find her. However...

While working for a company in town we advertised for warehouse help. Kid showed up for the interview and parked in the handicapped spot just as my boss was getting back from lunch. He had the sticker in the window and the plate. He was asked about the ability to get to work early or stay late and said that as he did not own a car and had to borrow his fathers it could be a problem. Turned out he never had to worry about being late for work, at least not at that job...

Good for your employer for taking a stand... Would've been better if he explained to the kid why he wasn't hired...

Top Bottom