• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been a supporter of our LEO's for many years and have served the Chambers County Drug Task Force, and Crime Stoppers for years. I am NOT a cop basher!

Lately, we've seen more and more citizens getting shot to pieces by trigger happy officers and that causes major concerns. I'm sick to death of hearing "The officer, fearing for his life, shot the subject 38 times." That's BS! So what can I do as a concealed carry and possibly OC citizen to keep from getting blown to Hell in a traffic stop?

I may hold some kind of record for being the focus of felony traffic stops! I delivered pizza in Chicago in my own vehicle and was stopped and shaken down under Chicago's "stop & frisk" law. My crime? I was young and working late at night in Chicago. That happened over & over to the delivery guys until Tom, the owner gave the cops a 50% discount on their orders. The felony stops ceased immediately!

Later, I moved to Tulsa and drove a 1957 Ford L/W pickup truck painted flat black primer (I loved that truck and wish I still had it!) The primer faded a bit a it looked gray in color. Lucky me, (sarcastic) an officer, Jim Storts was shot repeatedly with his own gun which started a massive manhunt for a man driving an older, grey pickup. I got stopped so many times that I taped a sign that read "I'M NOT THE GUY YOU'RE LOOKING FOR!" and attached an LEO's business card to the sign!

The point is that on a felony stop, the cops are not serving and protecting. I've been roughed up shoved around, thrown to the ground and had my vehicle ransacked! They are geared up to shoot your ass and don't attempt to hide that fact! It ain't fun!

So....now I'm old, carry a pistol concealed every day, may carry OC soon. In the current "shoot first" climate, how do I keep from being shot?

I propose a "Hands up" mode. If I'm stopped, I'll keep my hands UP! A dash cam or witnesses will play Hell justifying a man being killed while keeping his hands up! If ordered to lower my hands, that's just an invitation to get shot. Keep 'em up! Embarrassment resulting from being seen in "hands up" is OK if it keeps a nervous LEO from shooting me!

What say you?

Flash
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    You could also wear a Shirt/T-shirt that says "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" on the front and back, while all the time keeping your hands up.

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    "Given that cops are evil and will always shoot first what should I do?"

Yeah this is going to really go well. It will either be a cop bash full of absurdity or a giant free for all. I think this is one mud pit I'll stay out of. I would say posting a question in a neutral, open manner may get a better response than pre loading a biased argument into your questions.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I get your point Flash, though I sense some hyperbole for effect.

I just recently got accosted by the SAPD, harassed, belittled, on a warm near spring day in the park, in front of my family. I wasn't afraid of being shot per say, but the overall attitude of the cop was pretty alarming. I could easily imagine the situation going south, though, if he was afraid of the fact that I had a gun on me, which I notified him of upon him coming up on me.

I guess the easy answer is, even when you least expect it and aren't doing anything wrong cops can interrupt your daily routine, "detain" you against your will, and basically they hold your life in their hands, and can end it if they want to.

I don't call that living in a free society, especially for some of the stupid shit they are looking for.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I guess Flash, if cops would afford us the same respect as we give them, knowing we could easily snuff out their petty little existence as easily as they can ours, maybe there wouldn't be these problems.

But a lot of cops are good too, like one of my friends, but the majority I've run into have been jerks, and that is the honest truth.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Get a 'Black Lives Matter' t-shirt and wear it all the time. You should be alright!

Seriously, if you're worried about being shot by the police then you should take a good, long look at your routines that put you at risk of that!

So far in 2016, eight officers have been shot to death, with most of those deaths occurring in the past week, way up from this time last year and with several groups openly calling for the targeting of police, it's no wonder they are on the defensive!

Mmaybe you should do a couple of ride-alongs with your local department to see what officers have to contend with these days. Put yourself in their shoes, and maybe you'll have a better perspective of what a person can do not to get shot (and it's pretty simple, listen and cooperate!).

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston

Yeah this is going to really go well. It will either be a cop bash full of absurdity or a giant free for all. I think this is one mud pit I'll stay out of. I would say posting a question in a neutral, open manner may get a better response than pre loading a biased argument into your questions.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said none of that and your words in quotes are not from anyone in this thread. I'll work on my presentation skills to make my posts more acceptable.... snicker.

I'll ask again in different words...............
    With my hands up, I am a threat to no one and it is impossible to mistake my action or movement as anything aggressive. Can that keep me out of trouble?

Geeze, I thought it was a pretty good idea!

Flash

Last edited:

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I said none of that and your words in quotes are not from anyone in this thread. I'll work on my presentation skills to make my posts more acceptable.... snicker.

I'll ask again in different words...............
    With my hands up, I am a threat to no one and it is impossible to mistake my action or movement as anything aggressive. Can that keep me out of trouble?

Geeze, I thought it was a pretty good idea!

Flash

par·a·phrase
    ˈperəˌfrāz/
    verb

express the meaning of (the writer or speaker or something written or spoken) using different words, especially to achieve greater clarity.
      [COLOR=#878787 !important]"you can either quote or paraphrase literary texts"[/COLOR]

It was a loaded question. We both know it and that was what I responded to.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Do me a favor.....don't read my posts.
    Gonna go now, do something productive and leave this nonsense all to you.

Flash

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I have been seriously considering carrying and wearing this/these in the car and home. And yes Roger I was thinking the same the other day that I am more afraid of getting lit up by the police than I am any BG. There are FAR MORE itchy trigger fingered cops today that out number the BG's coming at you. Put a vest on and it might save your life.

TXI "Mr. Grumpy" will be along soon to laugh, belittle, and mind-screw us all soon. :)

https://uspalm.com/

Defender_MOLLE_Coyote_a-1024x1024.jpg

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Welcome to much of the rest of the US. Taught the kids what I learned in Cali. When stopped roll all windows down, put hands on steering wheel with wallet and keys in hand, and reply with yes sir and no sir.

When I lived in Cali, going through undergrad I went through an area to school, where I was pulled over about once a month for being a white kid in an an area where white kids only went for drugs. I learned to immediately hand them my school ID and class schedule, along with the DL. Not fun.

While off duty the PoPo are like everyone else - some good, some bad - when on duty they are not your friend. They aren't paid to be and as noted above, they have to deal with people on a daily basis that can be a danger and generally are scummy to deal with in the first place.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I never thought I'd change a post in order to satisfy the politically correct, but here goes...........

If an LEO stops me in traffic or on the street and I want to make it clear that I'm not a threat and not aggressive, what would be wrong with raising my hands? I will not get down on my knees, but keeping my hands up shows my intention to remain peaceable and still retains my self respect. "Hands up" is clear, unmistakable and says the same thing in all languages.

Perhaps that will placate the whiners.

What say you?

Flash

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When stopped in a vehicle, I always roll down the window, and place both hands through the window to show the officer they are empty.
    I then wait for him to tell me what he wants me to do.

DirtyMarcus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2016
    Austin
    A lot can be told by body language. Also being pulled over is usually for a reason. Being Mexican and having a beard which makes me look overly middle eastern probably is cause for just profiling. However I have only been pulled over 3 times in the last 5-6 years and all were my fault. In other settings cops haven't even batted an eye at me (that I've noticed).

Admittedly I am very laid back when I get pulled over. Never say yes sir / no sir, never turn off my truck, usually don't turn on my interior light, and I've been let off many tickets. I'm not disrespectful I'm just being me and doing all that is the last thing on my mind. I'm usually thinking about if I can take defensive driving or if I was over the max limit to qualify lol.

Do I ever worry about getting shot? No. Does it even cross my mind when pulled over? No. I'm actually more concerned with the average citizen treating me differently than a cop.

In my opinion, throwing your hands in the air would be cause for me to immediately go into defensive mode.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I'm too busy hiding the coke, and meth

Dumbass, you're suppose to throw all that out the window as you speed away from the cops, then deny it's yours! :D

It's really simple, don't do anything stupid and you've got nothing to fear. Raising your hands in the air before being told to do so makes you look like a criminal, but I will agree it does diminish the appearance of being a threat. I for one will simply roll down my window, turn on the interior light if at night, put my hands on the steering wheel so they are in plain sight and wait for further directions of the officer. Obviously the first thing you want to do is notify the officer that you are armed, but as stated before never use the word 'gun' as it is an alert word for the police. Also, don't make any sudden moves, don't go digging around the car while being pulled over, and ask before going for your insurance and/or driver's license (the registration is in the windshield).

By why anyone would be worried about a police stop is beyond me, I am more in fear for my life from all the inattentive drivers texting, eating or doing whatever as they rocket down the road at 20+ MPH over the speed limit. I have had my fair share of traffic stops and never did I feel threatened; but then again it also makes sense to pay attention to the actions of the officers to understand what kind of situation they think they are coming up on. If the officer is casual, then there's a good chance he's fairly comfortable with the stop; but if it's at night and you are being blinded by spotlights and orders are being shouted at you, then it would be a good idea to comply immediately but slowly not to garner an even more aggressive response!

And if it happens, don't resist being cuffed; it doesn't necessarily mean you are under arrest, just that you are being detained. Once everyone is hooked up it tends to deescalate the situation considerably...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom