Texas SOT

Has anyone "used" their CHL in a defensive situation?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I don't see a lot of reports of people bringing their weapon out....usually because they would prefer not to publicize the incident to the general pubic.

I'm wondering if anyone here has been in a situation that merited drawing your weapon. Did the situation resolve after that or did you need to fire on the assailant?
    ARJ Defense ad

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    DPS instructors tell us (if we are to believe them) that the average CHL holder will draw his/her weapon maybe once in his lifetime. Of all the times CHL holders draw their weapons, we pull the trigger once every 30 times.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    In Chicago, I carried without benefit of a CHL for a long time. The ONE time I didn't have the piece, we got jumped on the street by a large groups of teens. We got a little distance on them so I shoved the lady in the car and peeled rubber. On the way out, we got hammered with rocks and bricks.

One week later, a guy and his lady got jumped at that same location and he was shot to death through the car door.

That is the way it happens. Go out unprepared and Murphy will bite you in the ass.

Flash

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Never drew, but was approached by a very aggresive panhandler. Mrs. Charley was with me, in a store parking lot. I was concerned enough to move around him so a brick wall was behind him, instead of vehicles and people. He stated that "He didn't know what he would do" if he didn't get some money, and stuck his hand in his pocket. I stepped back, left hand up to block, and right hand on my weapon, prepared to draw. He read my actions, and sloooowly pulled his hand out, and backed off. I ended up giving him a few bucks, worth that much not to have to shoot him. Don't know if he was armed, maybe a knife. Didn't see any bulge like a handgun would have made.

LonghornAR15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Austin
    I read something in the Houston news about a year and a half ago where a guy had been acting a fool in the parking lot of a strip club, slashing tires and things like that. When he was confronted by the bouncer (I think it was the bouncer, I'm not sure) he came at the bouncer with a knife. Got shot in the chest and killed, and the story specified that the guy who shot him was a CHL holder.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Curious if in that instance it would matter if you're a CHL holder since you're job designates you're on-site security. I think that also might permit open carry if it were the club's property (parkng lot)

TimberWolf7.62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Houston
    I had two gentlemen deliberately try to run me off the road. Got away from them in traffic once but they came back alongside and tried to run me off again. I pulled a .45 from the console, jacked the slide and held it out towards them while still keeping it below the window out of their line of sight (they were on my right). I looked back towards the road to make sure I wasn't going to hit anything - I was on the shoulder by this time - and when I looked back, the passenger had seen what motions I went through and correctly surmised that my next move was going to involve pointing a firearm at them. He grabbed the driver and yelled something in his ear and he slammed on the brakes. I got back on the road and never saw them again. And I still don't know what their problem was. I hadn't flipped them off or anything.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Curious if in that instance it would matter if you're a CHL holder since you're job designates you're on-site security. I think that also might permit open carry if it were the club's property (parkng lot)

There are a few things that could effect the licensing on that. 1) the guy could have simply been a CHL holder. 2) the guy could have had a PPO or (personal protection officer license). 3) the guy could have been in some kind of a security officers uniform and by being in said uniform been required to openly carry his weapon.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    I have to be a "smart butt" here. Does my CHL shoot bullets?

If I have to "use my CHL", then I probably need to draw my weapon, or at least "show my weapon" if permitted under the circumstances....don't you think?

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I have to be a "smart butt" here. Does my CHL shoot bullets?

If I have to "use my CHL", then I probably need to draw my weapon, or at least "show my weapon" if permitted under the circumstances....don't you think?

That was the shortest thing i could fit in the thread title. Ideally i would have typed: Has any CHL holder been in a situation outside their home, business or vehicle that merited the use of their firearm either by displaying, deploying or shooting.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    Was not CHL holder but on a tri from TN to Houston i had to display my firearm to a guy that approched my vehicle in a gas station parking lot. He walked up and stated "i just got out of prison and need some money. You wanna buy some pot?" i told he to F off twice he then stuck his hand in his pocket and said he needed money i pulled the .45 out of the door pocket and then he ran away screaming like a little girl.

Top Bottom