Join TexasGunTalk

Having a handgun in the office..

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by hoyeay, Feb 1, 2014.

1. hoyeay

hoyeay New Member

Mar 27, 2013
    I am not sure where this is suppose to actually go but I guess here would be okay?

Currently I have a small office (my own suite) and I have with me a handgun, inside a drawer.

Do y'all know the legalities behind all this?

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you're the business owner or someone that has control of the business, then it's totally legal for you to have a firearm in your business.

3. kyletxria1911a1

kyletxria1911a1 TGT Addict

May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    this

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It could be possible that the renter of the suite has a clause in the lease that prohibits firearms. If not, no problem. When I had my business which ran out of a rented space, I always had a firearm. Sometimes in the desk drawer, later in a under the desk QD holster and if I were there alone at night (a lot of that when you own a business) I'd put it in a holster.

5. Charlie

Charlie Semi-Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    If you are leasing, you can have one if your lease does not exclude it. But it would be a leasing issue, not a criminal issue. I would think.

6. Thegomezclan

Thegomezclan Well-Known

Oct 2, 2010
    Kerrville Tx
    I'm lucky that the owners of where I work are all gun guys and I get to carry all the time.

7. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The biggest thing is to not let anybody know it is there. Don't ask, don't tell.

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    A lease cannot make it unlawful for him to carry.

Op, see penal code 46.02.

9. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Caveat: ensure you take gun with you when out of the office or it's otherwise secured (not just left in the drawer even in locked office). I also agree it should be in a holster and even in the drawer I'd want it fastened down in some way to ensure a consistent grab/grasp/grip on the weapon (I hate how "purchase" is used now)