• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    HB 1701: Relating to an exemption from the physical demonstration of proficiency portion of the proficiency examination to obtain or renew a concealed handgun license for certain persons. Changes underlined.

(a-1) A person described by Subsection (a)(1) is not required to complete a physical demonstration of proficiency under Section 411.188(d)(2) as part of a proficiency examination to obtain or renew a license if the person has, within the five years preceding the date of the person's application for an original or renewed license, as applicable, performed an equivalent physical demonstration of proficiency as part of the person's service with the armed forces or state military forces.

(b) The director by rule shall adopt a procedure by which a license holder who is exempt under Subsection (a) from the range instruction portion of the handgun proficiency requirement or under Subsection (a-1) from the physical demonstration of proficiency portion of the proficiency examination may submit a form demonstrating the license holder's qualification for an exemption under either or both of those subsections [that subsection]. The form must provide sufficient information to allow the department to verify whether the license holder qualifies for the exemption.​
    Texas SOT

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Even people that are poor shots deserve the right to defend themselves. I agree with constitutional carry for people who take a free online safety and laws course. What about an arthritic old grandma that only wants self preservation?

what part of shall not be infringed do y'all not understand?

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    That is a big pain in the ass to have to shoot everytime for renewals. Just have some kind of course on any updated rules.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That is a big pain in the ass to have to shoot everytime for renewals. Just have some kind of course on any updated rules.

After you have renewed twice, you only need the class every other renewal. For most students, that is the only time they ever shoot.

How is it a pain in the ass to get to go shoot?

I support the bill to allow these military guys to skip the shooting portion. The bill does require that they can only skip it if their military training is similar to the CHL qual. Don't know why you would skip the best part of the class, though.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    After you have renewed twice, you only need the class every other renewal. For most students, that is the only time they ever shoot.

I support the bill to allow these military guys to skip the shooting portion. The bill does require that they can only skip it if their military training is similar to the CHL qual. Don't know why you would skip the best part of the class, though.

I don't. Most of them never shoot. When they do, it's usually rifles. The odds of your average soldier getting to spend any quality time at all with a pistol is almost nil.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Don't know why you would skip the best part of the class, though.

I enjoy shooting, take every opportunity to go out. CHL shooting portion was not fun. 66 students and there were 7 range guys out there with us. It was very safe, I'll give them that. Everyone was kept in compliance to the strict rules when to fire how many rounds and the range guys were on top of things. That said it really wasn't very fun at all for me. Just 50 rounds down range.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I think the qualification part of the course is fun! Heck, I'll go shooting anytime for any reason and it beats sitting in a classroom.

Flash

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I don't think there should be any requirements for getting a CHL other than able to own a gun.

Even with the low standards of marksmanship we currently have we've not had an issue with CHL holders. I don't see why classes\range time should be required.

mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW
    I don't think there should be any requirements for getting a CHL other than able to own a gun.

Even with the low standards of marksmanship we currently have we've not had an issue with CHL holders. I don't see why classes\range time should be required.

I'm kind of mixed on this. I think the requirements here in TX are reasonable although the cost can be prohibitive. I've read countless threads on other gun forums where people who carry weapons have an extremely misguided interpretation of the law or no knowledge at all. In fact, a thread recently had a guy saying that the law sees CHL/CCW as the same as a LEO and that gun owners have an obligation to police society and make arrests as needed.

I would like to see a "constitutional carry" with fewer infringements on our rights but having a class dedicated to use-of-force statutes seems to help people understand the gravity of actually using a weapon and keeps people "down to earth". However, the guy I mentioned above did list his location as Dallas so perhaps the class doesn't help as much as I think.

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    I'm kind of mixed on this. I think the requirements here in TX are reasonable although the cost can be prohibitive. I've read countless threads on other gun forums where people who carry weapons have an extremely misguided interpretation of the law or no knowledge at all. In fact, a thread recently had a guy saying that the law sees CHL/CCW as the same as a LEO and that gun owners have an obligation to police society and make arrests as needed.

I would like to see a "constitutional carry" with fewer infringements on our rights but having a class dedicated to use-of-force statutes seems to help people understand the gravity of actually using a weapon and keeps people "down to earth". However, the guy I mentioned above did list his location as Dallas so perhaps the class doesn't help as much as I think.

A good solution is that gun stores can have a stack of pamphlets and give one to everyone who is a first time hand gun owner. It'll have the laws, shooting techniques to try out at the farm or range and use of force stuff in it. No class needed. If they can't read, they can have a friend read it to them.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Question for the CHL instructors out there, or anyone who might know the numbers: what percentage of students fail to meet the current proficiency standards?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Question for the CHL instructors out there, or anyone who might know the numbers: what percentage of students fail to meet the current proficiency standards?

Students must be given 3 attempts to pass. I have literally taught hundreds of CHL students for their initial licenses. I have never had one fail. I have had two that needed more than the first attempt.

I have not had to remove a CHL student from the line due to lack of safety either. I have done so with MANY security guards. But that is a rant for another thread ;)

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX

I live on 85 acres and shoot all the time. Kinda hard to get motivated to shoot 50 rounds and listen to someone for 6 hours....Last renewal..I have had my CHL since 1995 when they first came out.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I enjoy shooting, take every opportunity to go out. CHL shooting portion was not fun. 66 students and there were 7 range guys out there with us. It was very safe, I'll give them that. Everyone was kept in compliance to the strict rules when to fire how many rounds and the range guys were on top of things. That said it really wasn't very fun at all for me. Just 50 rounds down range.

And it's not like it's a challenge, even. I passed without using my sights except at 15 yards.

Top Bottom