• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Got a map of Texas showing where I can openly carry a handgun?
    No license.
    570e0f1376f6091345b7cde5dddf7f2e.jpg

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    winchster, are you saying that I can carry my Walther PPQ 9mm (made and purchased in 2012) openly, with or without a CHL, legally in The Great State of Texas without repercussion from Law Enforcement (City, County, State, or other)?
    Please explain.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I'm guessing he's talking about open carry at gun ranges and while on private property which has nothing to do with the map that was posted.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Where's TXI with that list of times you can legally OC with a handgun?

At any rate, it just points out that saying Texas has no open carry is on about the level of saying it has open carry. Both or only partly true. The map also shows some states as OC states when in reality there are quite a few restrictions on it.

That said, it works well to bring support for the OC movement so I'm not totally against it. Can we get back to bashing Kory Watkins and OCTC?

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    winchster, are you saying that I can carry my Walther PPQ 9mm (made and purchased in 2012) openly, with or without a CHL, legally in The Great State of Texas without repercussion from Law Enforcement (City, County, State, or other)?
    Please explain.
    No. But you were more specific than Vaquero was. He merely asked about a handgun, and a pre 1899 black powder pistol qualifies.
    I'm guessing he's talking about open carry at gun ranges and while on private property which has nothing to do with the map that was posted.
    That too. The map is disingenuous for reasons YG stated.
    Where's TXI with that list of times you can legally OC with a handgun?

At any rate, it just points out that saying Texas has no open carry is on about the level of saying it has open carry. Both or only partly true. The map also shows some states as OC states when in reality there are quite a few restrictions on it.

That said, it works well to bring support for the OC movement so I'm not totally against it. Can we get back to bashing Kory Watkins and OCTC?
    Exactly.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    It would be far more honest if the map would show states that have unhindered public open carry vs states that have limited ( of which Texas is one ) vs prohibited.

Did you read the map's key? That's what it says...doesn't it? If I'm wrong, then please don your curio relics and begin your public demonstrations.

Sure, the OC map doesn't include pre-1899 flint lock pistol exceptions, nor does it mention that driving a car in Texas without socks while a lady is present is also illegal, nor that eating cherry pie together with ice cream is illegal in Indiana. What it does do is give a pretty decent basic visual representation of legal boundaries, so that a layman can see American OC law at a glance, then go from there as they read and interpret the law.

It's unbecoming to be intentionally obtuse, just for argument's sake.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Did you read the map's key? That's what it says...doesn't it? If I'm wrong, then please don your curio relics and begin your public demonstrations.

Sure, the OC map doesn't include pre-1899 flint lock pistol exceptions, nor does it mention that driving a car in Texas without socks while a lady is present is also illegal, nor that eating cherry pie together with ice cream is illegal in Indiana. What it does do is give a pretty decent basic visual representation of legal boundaries, so that a layman can see American OC law at a glance, then go from there as they read and interpret the law.

It's unbecoming to be intentionally obtuse, just for argument's sake.

The point i made with pre 1899 pistols is no more unbecoming than the point made by the open carry map. When you say that Texas has no open carry and that Oregon has unrestricted open carry, neither statement is correct. Oregon has just as many restrictions on openly carrying as Texas. Therefore the map is disengenuos.

I don't disagree that we need open carry, I just don't think it's a good idea to twist the truth to win the argument. We should have more honor than the other side.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    The point i made with pre 1899 pistols is no more unbecoming than the point made by the open carry map. When you say that Texas has no open carry and that Oregon has unrestricted open carry, neither statement is correct. Oregon has just as many restrictions on openly carrying as Texas. Therefore the map is disengenuos.

I don't disagree that we need open carry, I just don't think it's a good idea to twist the truth to win the argument. We should have more honor than the other side.

Maybe this will be an easier map to interpret if you draft up a key explaining how all of the colors relate to different statutes, limitations, and exceptions to US Open-Carry Law. Is this what you think Open Carry's map should look like?
    united-states-of-america-map-7-colorful-usa-sharon-cummings.jpg

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Maybe this will be an easier map to interpret if you draft up a key explaining how all of the colors relate to different statutes, limitations, and exceptions to US Open-Carry Law. Is this what you think Open Carry's map should look like?
    View attachment 32848
    Now who is being obtuse?

I made my point.

You can open carry in Texas, in just as many instances, as you can in Oregon. The OC map doesn't imply that. It implies quite the opposite and that is a lie. I personally think we have better arguments to stand on, to win our case, than a lie. Just sayin...

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    Now who is being obtuse?

I made my point.

You can open carry in Texas, in just as many instances, as you can in Oregon. The OC map doesn't imply that. It implies quite the opposite and that is a lie. I personally think we have better arguments to stand on, to win our case, than a lie. Just sayin...

It's difficult to see the forest from the trees sometimes. Here are the facts:

Oregon
    Open carry of firearms is legal, but for those who do not have a concealed handgun license, cities and counties may regulate the open carry of loaded firearms in public places. Localities that prohibit non-licensed open carry of loaded firearms in public places include: Astoria, Beaverton, Independence, Newport, Oregon City, Portland, Salem, Tigard, and Multnomah County. Firearm carry is prohibited by ORS 166.250, however this law does not apply to Concealed Handgun Permit holders (see ORS 166.260.)

Texas
    Long gun, and black powder weapon (including handgun) open carry is not forbidden by law, unless it is done in a manner "calculated to cause alarm." Open carry of a handgun is prohibited with some exceptions (hunting and/or on one's own property).

So yeah, the laws are not the same after all between the two states. Let's confer to the aforementioned map:

OC_Summary.jpg

The map tells us that Oregon allows Open Carry and Texas prohibits Open Carry. How is this misleading?

Top Bottom